U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 03:41 PM

20 posts, read 19,356 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone, I am looking to relocate possibly to MA to get some space (something that is lacking on Long Island due to over development). Don't get me wrong, I like my Target, Walmart, BJs, Costco, Lowes, AMC etc but I can drive 25 minutes to get to them. All the open space has gotten eaten up and developed here.

I am looking for a cute New England feel main street town. Touristy is fine but not SUPER touristy. I already live near a tourist town (Port Jefferson, NY) and sometimes it is nearly impossible to get a parking spot just to go to the library. I want to be able to go to town, walk around, get a bite to eat, run into friends, playdates at the park, watch parades, go to outdoor movie nights etc. I would like neighbors but I would want larger lots so we aren't on top of one another. I am thinking at least half acre lots preferable 1+ acres. I don't want to be in the woods with absolutely no neighbors around because I want my kids to have other kids to play with.

I have 3 kids and am currently in an excellent school district and would like to keep my children in a district with good academics that is preferably on the smaller side.

I always lived on the north shore of long island. I am use to the water. I don't need the ocean but a lake near by would be nice. My husband said he would want water or mountains (or both).

As far as politics go, I would prefer somewhere that is moderate (but it it leaned one way, I would prefer conservative).

Budget would be around 400k maybe stretch to 425k. Looking for a 2,000+ sq ft house with 4+ beds and 2+ baths. I am a sucker for porches that look out onto something scenic. A basement would be nice as would a garage. The lot would preferably be at least half an acre. I would like a bigger lot but could compromise if all the other boxes were checked. I currently have 1/4 acre and it's too small with my 3 kids, 3 dogs, and 5 chickens.

So where should I look? TIA for any recommendations.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2018, 04:06 PM

3,408 posts, read 6,293,412 times
Where will you work?

With a budget of only $425K you will be very limited in any areas in Eastern MA.

Old 07-08-2018, 07:36 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,079,433 times
$400k budget will limit you to the absolute middle of nowhere and/or an average to subpar school district.

Old 07-08-2018, 08:44 PM

317 posts, read 265,732 times
Nowhere around here. We would all love to have what you’re describing but it’s not happening in the Boston area. Maybe North Carolina? Check out the Cary area. I’m actually surprised you are able to live in a densely populated area of LI with an excellent school district with your budget. I would stay put tbh.

Old 07-08-2018, 09:11 PM

What are the taxes like in MA? Are we talking 10 to 13k for a modest family house like Long Island?

What would a 2000 sq ft house on half an acre cost in MA? I am use to the north shore of western suffolk county and you can get a house like that if you look for around 450k -500k...granted the damn taxes are like 16k I don't want to pay taxes that high.

I don't need to be by Boston. I just want something nice with good internet connectivity.

Old 07-08-2018, 09:51 PM

154 posts, read 123,756 times
Conservative in Eastern MA? Not easy to come by those areas, since Mass is well educated.

400k Budget? lol try Norwell.

Old 07-09-2018, 06:21 AM

And this is why I wanted moderate... "because MA is well educated..." implying moderates and/or conservatives would be uneducated. Wow! I don't want to deal with the liberal elitist mentality nor the conservative elitist mentality hence I wanted moderate.

A budget of 425k got laughed at... I was kinda assuming a huge tax bill. I am not sure about this specific neighborhood but this it quite affordable. The tax bill is nothing so the mortgage would actually be less than what I am currently paying.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...t/10_zm/0_mmm/

how about this, give me a list of nice neighborhoods and I will look...

Thanks!

Old 07-09-2018, 06:26 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,079,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainsAreCalling16 View Post
And this is why I wanted moderate... "because MA is well educated..." implying moderates and/or conservatives would be uneducated. Wow! I don't want to deal with the liberal elitist mentality nor the conservative elitist mentality hence I wanted moderate.

A budget of 425k got laughed at... I was kinda assuming a huge tax bill. I am not sure about this specific neighborhood but this it quite affordable. The tax bill is nothing so the mortgage would actually be less than what I am currently paying.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...t/10_zm/0_mmm/

how about this, give me a list of nice neighborhoods and I will look...

Thanks!
You said you didn't want super touristy but you picked a house on Cape Cod. You can't get much more touristy in MA. FWIW the schools on the Cape are not considered excellent. You were laughed at because what you're looking for generally doesn't exist.

Old 07-09-2018, 06:48 AM

8,597 posts, read 13,194,576 times
This looks like a quiet street but traffic on the main roads during the summer will be really bad.

Old 07-09-2018, 06:53 AM

I looked real quick bc I remembered Hyannis was pretty. As I said, looking for neighborhood recommendations since I am not overly familiar with MA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts