Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 08:45 AM

23,560 posts, read 18,700,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Regardless, at least 1 roommate is pretty much necessary.
Which is a hard sell for people coming from parts of the country where people with regular old jobs are buying houses in their 20s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2018, 09:37 AM

349 posts, read 320,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post
If you work in high tech, biotech or medical then metro boston is actually down right affordable compared to sf bay area and NYC. Watch those cities as leading indicators
This. Moving from SF bay area to Boston, real estate was essentially a 50% off sale. In SF, we rented a 750 sq. ft. in-law with dated appliances and vinyl flooring worth $950k.

I just looked at the Needham house, and it's 40% cheaper than a comparable Cambridge home. Cambridge itself is 50% cheaper than comparable SF listings. If this is considered crazy, it can get far crazier I promise.

As residents we can vote and advocate for policies that makes new housing development easier. Support public infrastructure spending to expand the commutable housing. The law of supply & demand is an unforgiving element that can create seemingly harsh outcomes. Boston prices could very well double again based on job opportunities and housing development. Boston will never be cheap, but there are policies that directionally improve affordability.

Old 07-13-2018, 09:46 AM

3,214 posts, read 2,120,946 times
It's so crazy to think how much better it would be if transit was the main focus of any of elected goons. It would open up the flood gates to other communities. It would de clog the congested roads.

Old 07-13-2018, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
It's so crazy to think how much better it would be if transit was the main focus of any of elected goons. It would open up the flood gates to other communities. It would de clog the congested roads.

It's not the be all end all, as whenever you expand transit outward people bring their autos with them and half the people end up driving anyway despite their initial intentions (saw it first hand after Lakeville/Middleboro line opened). But will it open new areas up to more housing, absolutely. The Boston pre-late-90s is never coming back, I think anyone can accept that. The focus at this point is preventing it from becoming a San Francisco. It's still not too late, but can't be stopped without major policy changes. The politicians all represent their NIMBY constituents, who want to pretend it's still the 1950s.

Old 07-13-2018, 10:28 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,449,561 times
As long as tech bros have a good time here, I guess I don't really mind the cost of housing. They can afford it fine!

Old 07-13-2018, 10:46 AM

3,214 posts, read 2,120,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
It's not the be all end all, as whenever you expand transit outward people bring their autos with them and half the people end up driving anyway despite their initial intentions (saw it first hand after Lakeville/Middleboro line opened). But will it open new areas up to more housing, absolutely. The Boston pre-late-90s is never coming back, I think anyone can accept that. The focus at this point is preventing it from becoming a San Francisco. It's still not too late, but can't be stopped without major policy changes. The politicians all represent their NIMBY constituents, who want to pretend it's still the 1950s.
I was talking about the MBTA .. not commuter rail. Of course someone from Lakeville will drive to the stop.

Old 07-13-2018, 11:11 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Which has absolutely nothing to do with regular cops, firefighters and teachers, etc. trying to survive in the MetroWest region.

In my town, there are a dozen "regular cops" who make 6 figures after adding in the detail work guarding the hole. That's way outside the I-495 belt. Union comp scales, 10 years in, pad out your pay with all that easy detail work. Plus the big retirement benefits. Pretty good total comp for an Associate degree from the local community college and a criminal justice degree from one of the former teachers colleges.

Old 07-13-2018, 11:32 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
I still expect Worcester to grow to grow because of the expensiveness of the Boston metro. Yes the commute to Boston would be long, but if you want to stay in the area, it might become more of a necessity..

Old 07-13-2018, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
In my town, there are a dozen "regular cops" who make 6 figures after adding in the detail work guarding the hole. That's way outside the I-495 belt. Union comp scales, 10 years in, pad out your pay with all that easy detail work. Plus the big retirement benefits. Pretty good total comp for an Associate degree from the local community college and a criminal justice degree from one of the former teachers colleges.
Still has nothing to do with the conversation, which is the average salary for a Newton cop and how they can afford the area. Detail work is never a guarantee of course, and many other public servant and other middle-class jobs do not offer the opportunity to pad one's salary with extra OT.

As for your cop bashing and berating of public higher education, that was addressed on another thread already.

Old 07-13-2018, 03:12 PM

6,459 posts, read 7,795,049 times
Count me in as someone who would not be able to afford to buy what I have now. I had to be slapped into buying 5+yrs ago but am glad I did (never thought I'd say that). It was hella expensive then but now...geesh, fugetaboutit. I'm a mid 40's professional and now make a decent living but it's still crazy expensive and in most of the country, I'd be considered pretty friggin' well off. Here...hardly middle class.

No, I don't have a "roommate" in the traditional sense but I do have a wife who pulls in decent change too. So in the financial sense, many of us who are not in our 20's still have a roommate and need it to make ends meet. So all those who walk around with a puffed out chest thinking they don't need a roommate but are married or living with a romantic partner who works...you actually do have a roommate.

My mortgage payment isn't going anywhere so now I'm just watching the crazyness with the prices without it affecting me but am always thinking "how do people make it". My concern about it isn't for me, it's for my kid. Have no idea how he'll be able to afford something decent. So my plan is to save enough so he has a down payment that allows him to make the mortgage or not live in MA. Frankly, I'm betting on not being here when that time comes. I've been lucky enough to make it work well for me so I'm still here but want him to live in an easier place. Boston shows no signs of slowing down. It attracts the best and brightest and that's great, but this is not a good place for an average person to live nicely. I'd rather make 60k in Cleveland than 90k here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts