U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 03:22 PM

7 posts, read 2,951 times

Advertisements

I am from Spain, doing a trip with my Canadian friend here in New England. We'll leave NYC to Newport RI (OR) Providence to stay a day there. Which one is better?

Then we'll drive to Hyannis, then visit Provincetown for a day to see the Pilgrims monument, we're probably going to stay in Hyannis for a couple of days.

Then Boston for a day to relax (been there before). After, we're heading to Maine... maybe Portland, maybe Ogunquit...(on the way there we'll pass by Portsmouth NH...

Then to Boston for a day before we catch our flight back to Canada...

My friend does not have DL, I will be driving. Do you think it is a hectic plan? I am afraid I got sick or extremely tired from driving.

Do you have other plans to share? Shall we skip some towns?

Your opinions matter.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2018, 03:45 PM

24,071 posts, read 23,540,980 times
NYC to RI seems like a long drive for someone who says they are afraid of getting sick or overly tired from driving.

This is just me--but I would probably drive from NYC to the Boston area, then to the Cape. But the Cape will be crowded at this time of year. Maybe Hyannis, then perhaps the National Seashore for scenery and the beach, then you'll be near Provincetown where there is a lot more to see than the Pilgrim Monument. (If you want to see Pilgrim things, you'd go to Plymouth (on the way to the Cape) and see the Mayflower II and museum.)

Then onto Portsmouth NH (which is very expensive but lots of good places to eat and nice beach scenery nearby.) That takes you right up to Maine.

If you tell us what types of things you want to see or do, people could probably offer better suggestions.

Last edited by in_newengland; 07-22-2018 at 04:41 PM..

Old 07-22-2018, 04:00 PM

11,307 posts, read 4,341,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
NYC to RI seems like a long drive for someone who says they are afraid of getting sick or overly tired from driving.

This is just me--but I would probably drive from NYC to the Boston area, then to the Cape.

Is this suggestion based on preference or driving time?

If driving time, it takes longer to go from NYC to Boston than it does to go from NYC to either Providence or Newport.

The driving time from Boston, Providence, or Newport to Provincetown is pretty much the same.

Old 07-22-2018, 04:23 PM

792 posts, read 655,004 times
I would drive to RI (either Prov or Newport, depends on what you're looking to do) skip Hyannis. The Cape is too crowded this time of year. Better to spend an extra night in RI. You can even stay in Providence and take a ferry to Newport.Then drive to Boston, take a ferry to Ptown and back. Then head up to Main. Far less driving this way.

Old 07-22-2018, 04:43 PM

24,071 posts, read 23,540,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvpsharky View Post
I would drive to RI (either Prov or Newport, depends on what you're looking to do) skip Hyannis. The Cape is too crowded this time of year. Better to spend an extra night in RI. You can even stay in Providence and take a ferry to Newport.Then drive to Boston, take a ferry to Ptown and back. Then head up to Main. Far less driving this way.
That's a good idea. We still don't know what their interests are but the Cape is very crowded in summer.

The ferry to Ptown is a good idea--at least they'd get to see a tiny bit of the Cape and to have some fun in Ptown. Then drive up to NH and Maine.

Old 07-22-2018, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

This is just me--but I would probably drive from NYC to the Boston area, then to the Cape. But the Cape will be crowded at this time of year. Maybe Hyannis, then perhaps the National Seashore for scenery and the beach, then you'll be near Provincetown where there is a lot more to see than the Pilgrim Monument. (If you want to see Pilgrim things, you'd go to Plymouth (on the way to the Cape) and see the Mayflower II and museum.)

Then onto Portsmouth NH (which is very expensive but lots of good places to eat and nice beach scenery nearby.) That takes you right up to Maine.

If you tell us why types of things you want to see or do, people could probably offer better suggestions.
Thanks a lot. Yes, we were thinking about Plymouth.

For Portsmouth, we'll spend a couple of hours there before heading to Maine.

Now... I don't agree that I should drive from NYC to Boston. I believe it would be better to drive from NYC to Providence RI, then stay the night there (Day one).

Day two: Providence to Plymouth, then to Boston to spend the night.

Day three: Boston to Portsmouth then to Maine where (Day 3 and 4 and 5 will be in Maine to relax...).

So half of day three will be spent in Portsmouth... then to Maine, we've no idea where to stay in Maine, we Ogunquit because of its proximity to NH on our way up or Portland... we need to relax on the beach...

Day six: heading back to Boston because we have an early Morning flight on Day seven.

We like: historic downtowns... good beaches and restaurants... we also like trendy coffee shops...

History History History: I am a big fan of the American History (mainly the history of the American independence... don't count Boston because we walked the freedom trail before...).

Plymouth for Mayflower. A question, Mayflower I landed in Provincetown, right?

Thanks for your comment.

Old 07-22-2018, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvpsharky View Post
We're thinking about taking the ferry from Boston to Provincetown.

Providence or Newport? Here is the question.

Old 07-22-2018, 05:08 PM

8,612 posts, read 13,212,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplelifebz View Post

I would pick Newport, but that's my preference - others will differ.

Yes, the Mayflower did originally land in Provincetown, but the Pilgrims soon realized that the soil on the Cape wasn't going to be good enough for farming. They followed the coast and found Plymouth.

Old 07-22-2018, 05:13 PM

4,421 posts, read 5,661,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplelifebz View Post

I'd pick Newport, but the history there is more 19th Century than 18th Century.

Old 07-22-2018, 05:14 PM

11,307 posts, read 4,341,434 times
I'd go with Newport also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts