Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 01:37 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,874,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I would consider certain subforums there to not even be "lite" really.

But its obvious we see these things differently. That's ok. I am not saying this site is like Stormfront, in that is has that agenda, but this site is often called "stormfront lite" by many. You could probably google it easily enough to see some of the references.
Yeah, reddit has some super scary places but it's luckily really easy to just not know they exist. Those subs tend to be moderated by people who support those subs, so it becomes an echo chamber. I only visit a few forums on here, but I don't see the same sort of thing.

I did google it, and found a single google page of hits. Hard to tell if that's a few people with an axe to grind or a real thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2018, 02:07 PM

15,693 posts, read 20,211,420 times
I have a feeling I should probably wait until I get home from work before googling some of this stuff to see what exactly you are all talking about.

Old 08-06-2018, 02:11 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,737,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I have a feeling I should probably wait until I get home from work before googling some of this stuff to see what exactly you are all talking about.

Eh, it doesn't matter. If people really deny that white privilege is real, or male privilege is real, they're so far out of being woke in society that there is nothing I can do to help them.

I only hope that they get there some day through another path for their own, and for society's, good. Without that, we're unlikely to advance as a culture.

Old 08-06-2018, 02:17 PM

3,146 posts, read 2,071,138 times
Quote:
Eh, it doesn't matter. If people really deny that white privilege is real, or male privilege is real, they're so far out of being woke in society that there is nothing I can do to help them.

I only hope that they get there some day through another path for their own, and for society's, good. Without that, we're unlikely to advance as a culture.
So Woke Bro! show me the light.

People have privilege, Agree. Maybe I did too. Maybe I didn't. but I can tell you right now, to base that on the color of my skin is the very battle you are fighting against. Keep on fighting my friend, soon enough we will all be as sorry as you are to be born white.

Old 08-06-2018, 02:20 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,737,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post

Since you don't seem to understand how pervasive white privilege is, this classic essay is a good start to helping you out:

https://psychology.umbc.edu/files/20...ntosh-1989.pdf

I hope you will reflect on your (and my) privilege at some point and really take it to heart and become a better member of society.

Old 08-06-2018, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Since you don't seem to understand how pervasive white privilege is, this classic essay is a good start to helping you out:

https://psychology.umbc.edu/files/20...ntosh-1989.pdf

I hope you will reflect on your (and my) privilege at some point and really take it to heart and become a better member of society.
Please.
on the very first page i read this in the guide :

2. If I should need to move, I can be
pretty sure of renting or purchasing
housing in an area which I can afford
and in which I want to live.

3. I can be pretty sure that my
neighbors in such a location will be
neutral or pleasant to me.

You may not realize the ridicule and harassment that I and my family have got from our neighbors. People making fun of my food at school. People calling me names that are disgusting. People making fun of my parents accent. Some of those people were white, a lot of those people were black. some of those people were brown. i remember one was a black girl who almost slapped me when i told her to keep quiet.

Keep fighting man. I believe you.

Next

Last edited by CaseyB; 08-06-2018 at 02:44 PM.. Reason: name calling

Old 08-06-2018, 05:06 PM

I hope this doesn't come af as me thinking that this stuff is non existent. Because it sure is. I just don't like you assuming that me or any other person has had an easy or easier life than anyone else because of a box you check on the census. My family has had their struggles, and I have seen what privilege gets people, and I have not had the benefit of any of it. sorry If I came off in a negative manner, but some people who have fought hard tooth and nail don't like hearing that noise.

Old 08-07-2018, 08:42 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,105,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
I wouldn't consider somewhere like reddit stormfront-lite, but there are corners of that site that are way worse than anything I've seen here.
The issue with Reddit is that certain subs tend to be moderated by the most ardent ideologues. They ban valid users for daring to question the lock-step and curate to the point of delusion. Example: r/conservative.

Old 08-07-2018, 09:16 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,200,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post

People have privilege, Agree. Maybe I did too. Maybe I didn't. but I can tell you right now, to base that on the color of my skin is the very battle you are fighting against. Keep on fighting my friend, soon enough we will all be as sorry as you are to be born white.
Lol. This.

As soon as I hear/read "woke" my eyes glaze over...

Old 08-07-2018, 03:02 PM

17,155 posts, read 8,804,580 times
Someone's superiority complex is showing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts