Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2018, 08:37 PM

17 posts, read 28,315 times

Advertisements

All this information is super helpful.

Major Jewish presence is not important. We live in an area of Texas where many people have never met a “Jew” ��

Gifted programs would be a plus but not a must. I’m trying to find a balance for my kids where they are challenged but not over scheduled or pressured. Just for reference..we currently live in a school district that has a high percentage of 5yr olds reading chapter books ��. My 10 yr old is in the gifted program and already sees a therapist weekly for anxiety. Can’t blame all of it on the school system of course but th pressure cooker of a community I chose prior to him starting kindergarten has certainly contributed. I seriously googled best school district in DFW prior to moving here with my 4yr old and newborn. I learned the error of my ways and now don’t want to make the same mistake!

Thank you all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2018, 05:17 AM

550 posts, read 679,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
The main drawback to Marblehead seems to be

I'm pretty sure Marblehead does not have a commuter rail station. I'm guessing that the closest train station may be in Salem.

One question for the OP is whether driving to a train station is an option. If so, you'd then want info from people familiar with whichever station you'd be using, about parking. The parking situation can be pretty tight at some commuter rail stations. Even if you're okay with driving across town, or to a neighboring town, and parking at the train station, if it's a station where you have to arrive before 7:00 AM to be assured of a parking space, that's something you'd need to know.

Swampscott has a commuter rail station

Old 07-29-2018, 08:37 AM

Ok husband says he needs south station. From what I can see north station and south station don't connect. So it looks like we need to live South Shore if I want to see my husband at all.

Hingham sounds lovely but I'm paranoid it will be similar to what I'm trying to escape. I have visions of being an outsider in a land of oversized SUVs, country club social groups etc...

My family is super practical and low key. We drive a honda and an electric vehicle, love to cook, garden, live music. Think Austin/San Francisco (where we are from) family.

Please advise and thank you!

Old 07-29-2018, 08:38 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,719,577 times
My first thought with next to the ocean was Hingham.

Not sure there is a single town that checks all your boxes, but if you're willing to give on the ocean, I'd check out Needham. You could also look at Arlington. In both towns, your budget would be on the low end, but you could find something.

Old 07-29-2018, 08:42 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,719,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbasser View Post
Ok husband says he needs south station. From what I can see north station and south station don't connect. So it looks like we need to live South Shore if I want to see my husband at all.

Hingham sounds lovely but I'm paranoid it will be similar to what I'm trying to escape. I have visions of being an outsider in a land of oversized SUVs, country club social groups etc...

My family is super practical and low key. We drive a honda and an electric vehicle, love to cook, garden, live music. Think Austin/San Francisco (where we are from) family.

Please advise and thank you!
I'm guessing you're somewhere near Richardson, or maybe Plano now.

I actually think you'd like Newton, although again, your budget is a bit low. I'm unsure if this is really right for you, but you could also look at Melrose. Neither of these towns is on the ocean, but from all of the Boston suburbs, you can easily drive to the beach on weekends if you want.

There is big talk about a connector between North and South station, although who knows when that actually will appear. But that's an issue you might investigate if you decide you like the northern suburbs.

Old 07-29-2018, 08:54 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,254,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
I'm guessing you're somewhere near Richardson, or maybe Plano now.

I actually think you'd like Newton, although again, your budget is a bit low. I'm unsure if this is really right for you, but you could also look at Melrose. Neither of these towns is on the ocean, but from all of the Boston suburbs, you can easily drive to the beach on weekends if you want.

There is big talk about a connector between North and South station, although who knows when that actually will appear. But that's an issue you might investigate if you decide you like the northern suburbs.
Newton is Boston's Plano.

Old 07-29-2018, 09:08 AM

79 posts, read 87,006 times
You will not find gifted programs in any Massachusetts schools as in other states. The schools are arguably the best in the country and the particular school districts mentioned (Marblehead, Swapscott, Hingham, etc.) educate all of their students as if they will all attend four year colleges after graduation since that's what happens. You are looking at highly educated communities where the parents are white collar, high earning professionals and expect their children to follow suit. This is true even though they are not the top, highly pressurized powerhouse school districts such as Lexington, Acton, etc. That being said, students are "leveled," starting in junior or senior high school - all taking college placement classes but some at the the CP level, some at the honors level, some at the AP level, etc. Each high school will have its own leveling system. There are separate regional tech or trade high schools for students who are not planning to attend college.

Of the communities mentioned, Marblehead and Swampscott have significant Jewish populations for Massachusetts. The North Shore JCC is in Marblehead and is the hub for Jewish youth and family activities on the North Shore. Hingham has a small Jewish community and a reform temple. I would say it's the least "liberal" of the communities but still, it's MA. Lots of old money in Hingham, but now new money too. All three are very family oriented, white collar towns. The city of Newburyport has a tiny Jewish community and tiny consertive-ish temple. NBPT is MUCH more economically diverse and attracts families, singles and retirees, and has a mix of rental properties and single family homes. Very, very vibrant downtown. (Disclosure: I currently live in NBPT and lived in Hingham about 20 years ago).

I hope this helps. Good luck with your move!

Old 07-29-2018, 09:11 AM

79 posts, read 87,006 times
OP, just seeing that you need the South Station area. Commuting from Hingham by high speed ferry to Rowes Wharf was the best commute that my husband and I ever had!

Old 07-29-2018, 09:21 AM

Yes this is all very helpful. We are in Southlake, TX but I'm not a fan of Plano either. I'm trying super hard not to hate on North Texas as it's been good financially for my family and is a very nice place to live....it's just not a great fit for my family socially and politically. I'm in my early 40s so finally realizing life is too short to not try to optimize our daily living.

A lack of gifted programs does not bother me at all. I'm not overly impressed with the one here anyway. I'm looking forward to the Massachusetts school system in comparison to the one in Texas. My 10 yr old wants to know if your school system has state mandated standardized testing. For instance, we have STAAR here.

We are definitely reform jews and would be good with a small Jewish population.

My brain is super stuck on Newburyport but the commute could get old quickly for my husband. Just found the ride C&J bus line from NBPT to Boston South station. Any one have experience with it? thanks again!

Old 07-29-2018, 09:24 AM

2,190 posts, read 2,230,657 times
Newburyport to South Station by bus would be a horrible commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts