Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2008, 03:32 PM

10 posts, read 48,976 times

Advertisements

HI! I just got a new job in Cambridge and my family, which includes 2 toddlers, will be moving from the West Coast in mid-May.

Our budget is $400k and we would like to find a 3 bedroom house a town with a suburban feel, safe for children, close to public transportation. We would also like to get something that will be easily rentable in 3 years, because this is just a temporary assignment. Right now it looks like the following towns have houses in our price range:

Waltham, Melrose, Medford, Braintree, Stoneham, we just started looking though, so I'm hoping there are others. Are these nice areas/easy to rent a home in.

Any advice would be appreciated!!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2008, 10:17 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,824,184 times
Waltham and Medford are the closest communities to Cambridge out of that list. Closer still are Belmont and Arlington. Belmont has the best public schools among those five places, followed by - in order: Arlington, Waltham, Medford, and Cambridge. Cambridge, perhaps ironically in this context, is by far the most expensive for housing. There probably isn't a single-family home available within its city limits for even twice your stated price maximum. Both Medford and Waltham have very nice neighborhoods that belie the cities' blue-collar reputations, but the schools aren't of the greatest quality. The academic system in Arlington has borne the brunt of anti-tax votes and its formerly good reputation has suffered somewhat, but thanks to the town's convenient location and cheaper housing than Belmont, Lexington and Cambridge you wouldn't have any trouble finding tenants down the line. Belmont is somewhat pricier, but there should be smaller houses or "fixer-uppers" on the market that'd meet your cost criteria. You may want to add Watertown to your list, as it adjoins Cambridge and has fair schools to go along with lots of single-family dwellings that aren't terribly expensive.

Braintree is all the way on the other side of Boston; it and Melrose and Stoneham are all astride I-93, which is a commuter's nightmare and the road you'd be having to use for getting to Cambridge.

Old 04-01-2008, 06:18 AM

20 posts, read 119,578 times
Default north cambridge

Hi, I live in North Cambridge and it is relatively cheaper than Harvard or Porter Square Cambridge. There condos here with 3 bedrooms or small houses in your price range... maybe around 1000 square feet. Cambridge is definitely a very desirable area for renting out condos/houses, as they are close to t-stops. Our condo is about an 8-12 minute walk to either alewife or davis square. I have heard that they have good preschool/kindergarten and elementary programs- I have friends' children in that age going to Cambridge public school and they are happy about it.

Otherwise I would say Arlington might be your best bet for that price range and your desired proximity.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:54 AM

19 posts, read 72,995 times
Default Watertown

I didn't see any mention of Watertown in the list. I have lived and rented and raised a child in W'town since 1995. You can find something to buy for $400K. To buy for this you'll be priced out of Belmont and probably most of Cambridge. W'town schools don't "show" well in MCAS test listings and such because of a higher than average EFL student population. But there's a core of students in W'town, children of professionals that work in Boston/BU/Harvard/MIT, etc., and if you look at where they end of after HS, you will be surprised. There are 3 elementary schools, one middle, and one HS with about 200 or so graduating this year. You'll want to be in the Lowell elementary area (my opinion). The top 10% of this year's HS class is off to Harvard/MIT/Stanford(2)/UPenn/Bowdoin/GWU and a few others.

Old 04-01-2008, 11:41 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,543,931 times
If you are looking for a property that you can rent in a few years. I would look in Cambridge itself. There is a constant turnover of people coming to Cambridge for educational opportunities so there will always be renters whereas some of the other towns you've mentioned don't have that draw of potential renters.

Also the schools in Cambridge are much better than their reputation. If all you care about is test scores Cambridge might not be the right town for you, but there are so many different options at the elementary level it is amazing, montessori, progressive, core knowlege, spanish immersion, a school that offers chinese every day, etc. The kids know not just what is on the test but are also taught to think critically and creatively. Also the high school has amazing college placement. Very few public schools have that kind of college placement.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:02 PM

2 posts, read 25,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intelgal View Post
Hi, I live in North Cambridge and it is relatively cheaper than Harvard or Porter Square Cambridge. There condos here with 3 bedrooms or small houses in your price range... maybe around 1000 square feet. Cambridge is definitely a very desirable area for renting out condos/houses, as they are close to t-stops. Our condo is about an 8-12 minute walk to either alewife or davis square. I have heard that they have good preschool/kindergarten and elementary programs- I have friends' children in that age going to Cambridge public school and they are happy about it.

Otherwise I would say Arlington might be your best bet for that price range and your desired proximity.
I going to move to alewife are do you know if is safe for kids

Old 04-09-2008, 02:04 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
Not sure where you mean by "alewife." Do you mean East Arlington, or walkable to the Alewife station?
It's not unsafe, but it is more urban than suburban. I don't think you'd want your kids riding their bikes on the bike path and all- some things have occurred to walkers there. The outskirts of Arlington, in the other direction, are completely more suburban in atmosphere and density.

Old 04-10-2008, 03:28 PM

90 posts, read 136,337 times
Maybe Watertown especially if your budget is $400k. The Cambridge area can be very pricey...if you want the suburban feel you would need to go further out. How far are you willing to commute?

Old 04-15-2008, 01:31 AM

1 posts, read 18,545 times
In Response to CaseyCase, I'm surprised more emphasis hasn't been on Melrose. Since you desire a more suburban feel, Melrose is only 10 minutes from downtown Boston, regardless of what anyone else here is saying. There are back roads to travel, and although traffic into downtown can take upwards of 30, 35 minutes (at most), that is generally not the case. And Melrose is less than 10 miles from Boston and enjoys commuter rail access as well as access to the T (Boston's subway system). Out of Watertown and Medford, etc (Medford and Melrose are right next to each other), Melrose will have the most suburban feel, and it is definately possible to find a 3 bedroom home for around $400k. In areas like Belmont, Arlington, and Lexington (especially Lexington) you will be hard pressed to find a 3 bedroom home for anywhere near $400k, at least not one that doesn't need extensive renovation. Anywhere South of Boston and the commute will be at least double for the same distance, the traffic heading north into Boston is brutal during rush hours (usually 6 15 or so until 9 45, 10 am). Wakefield also has relatively close proximity to Boston and a suburban feel, and both Melrose and Wakefield have decent school systems, the majority of schools in Massachusetts are pretty good when compared to the national average so comparing them on a town by town basis seems more like bragging rights around here. Many kids from so-called "blue collar towns" (which around here homes start at $450K+) go on to excellent colleges, especially considering the multitude of universities in Boston like Boston College, Northeastern, Harvard, MIT, Tufts, etc.

In addition, if you decide to look into Melrose further, also look into West Medford. West Medford borders the affluent Winchester, and has a more suburban feel than the other side of Medford which borders Malden which is more urban.

Hope this helps, and FYI, if driving in Boston you see a car that needs extensive body work, GET OUT OF ITS WAY!!!!! And people don't use directions around here, because why would you want to let other people on the road know which way you are going? BEWARE haha Good Luck!

Old 04-15-2008, 08:17 AM

2 posts, read 23,368 times
Hello, first post - looking for areas with homes priced 350-400K range. Commuting via MBTA into Cambridge, no more than 40 minutes. Re-locating from North Shore, Salem area, looking to buy south of Boston.

Good "town" feel, low crime, strong community. Anyone have information on areas like Rockland, Whitman, Abington? Would love to get into Hingham, but a little pricey. Is there a "cheaper" Hingham around, haha. Thanks in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts