Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 10:15 AM

1,642 posts, read 1,379,656 times

Advertisements

Worcester Woo Sox (Paw Sox) ?

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston...e-to-worcester

My home town has been trying hard for the AAA affiliate of the Red Sox. I mostly thought it was a Hartford Patriots kind of thing. But maybe it has a chance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2018, 10:26 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,098,889 times
Filing a trademark is cheap insurance, but it does indicate that Worcester remains in talks.

Old 08-06-2018, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
Filing a trademark is cheap insurance, but it does indicate that Worcester remains in talks.

Yeah I there are tons of examples of people who didn't trademark or get the website. My favorite is the Guy Fiere menu.

But yeah, you're right but there are other articles that make it seem 50/50

Old 08-06-2018, 10:52 AM

8,370 posts, read 4,427,715 times
The odds now actually favor the move to Worcester. RI was offering 38M in public money with the team contributing 45M. Rumors are that the Worcester stadium proposal will be much more generous to team ownership. Some speculation that ownership would invest less than 20M. It would seem that the City of Worcester intends to commit a significantly higher amount of funds (many tens of millions) toward a stadium which may be too good to pass up.

The team had been in Pawtucket for 50 years and was for the most part well supported often leading the league in attendance. The owners however want a shiny new stadium in which they can make more money catering to a more corporate upscale crowd. It will be interesting to see how it does in Worcester, a much smaller market than metro Providence. The city of Worcester has a track record of poor support with minor league spots having lost two AHL teams in just the last two decades. The proposed Woosox stadium site is south of downtown in an old industrial area a few blocks from Rte 290. The worst intersection in central MA is however between the stadium and highway on/off ramps.

I had started a thread on this several months ago.
//www.city-data.com/forum/massa...t-red-sox.html

Old 08-06-2018, 11:29 AM

I think the fan support in Worcester would be good. It's good in Lowell and Portland. I think carrying the Boston name carries a lot of weight. Pretty much the Providence Bruins sounds 10x's better than Worcester Sharks (who moved because it's easier to get to San Jose from San Jose than from San Jose from Worcester)

Old 08-06-2018, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
The odds now actually favor the move to Worcester. RI was offering 38M in public money with the team contributing 45M. Rumors are that the Worcester stadium proposal will be much more generous to team ownership. Some speculation that ownership would invest less than 20M. It would seem that the City of Worcester intends to commit a significantly higher amount of funds (many tens of millions) toward a stadium which may be too good to pass up.

The team had been in Pawtucket for 50 years and was for the most part well supported often leading the league in attendance. The owners however want a shiny new stadium in which they can make more money catering to a more corporate upscale crowd. It will be interesting to see how it does in Worcester, a much smaller market than metro Providence. The city of Worcester has a track record of poor support with minor league spots having lost two AHL teams in just the last two decades. The proposed Woosox stadium site is south of downtown in an old industrial area a few blocks from Rte 290. The worst intersection in central MA is however between the stadium and highway on/off ramps.

I had started a thread on this several months ago.
//www.city-data.com/forum/massa...t-red-sox.html

Oh sorry the I guess the news kinda died down for a few months so it was off the front page.

Old 08-06-2018, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
I think the fan support in Worcester would be good. It's good in Lowell and Portland. I think carrying the Boston name carries a lot of weight. Pretty much the Providence Bruins sounds 10x's better than Worcester Sharks (who moved because it's easier to get to San Jose from San Jose than from San Jose from Worcester)

The Sharks did not move to a new location just because their parent was closer. Support in Worcester was not good just as had been the case with the IceCats previously. Even the new ECHL Railers hockey team this past year had lower than league wide average attendance despite heavy investment and promotion in the city by its owner for its inaugural season.

I personally feel the upside to a AAA baseball team is far greater in the Providence metro market given its much larger size and history of strong support for both minor league and college sports.

At any rate, if the team does move to Worcester, it will have to create its own fan base. The great majority of Pawsox attendees which are mostly from the greater Providence market will not be coming along. There will be a lot of ill will in the wake of a move after such long support (50 years). Worcester will also be beyond the 30 miles which fans are likely to travel from.

The parent Bosox will also likely soon no longer have a connection to the 2nd largest market in all of New England while it will have minor league teams in smaller markets with two in MA (Worcester and Lowell) and a team ME. This is not a strategy I would think is good for the parent as I would expect slightly less interest in RI going forward. Furthermore, some may blame the Bosox for the move given they are part owners of the Pawsox and will be a part of the new stadium decision making.

Old 08-06-2018, 12:21 PM

23 posts, read 22,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
The fan support for the Worcester Bravehearts is pretty good and that's only a collegiate summer league team. I think the Sox AAA team would do pretty well in Worcester.

And I agree with you on the hockey thing. If it was the minor league team of the Bruins in town it would probably do a lot better than the current teams.

Old 08-06-2018, 12:23 PM

17,076 posts, read 8,748,221 times
MMS, why would anyone in Worcester care about those hockey teams? As I've said many times already in the RI thread, there is no shortage of Boston Red Sox fans in the Worcester area.

Old 08-06-2018, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
MMS, why would anyone in Worcester care about those hockey teams? As I've said many times already in the RI thread, there is no shortage of Boston Red Sox fans in the Worcester area.

I am not arguing that the great majority of people in the Worcester region are Boston Red Sox fans. My main point is that there are far fewer of them than in metro Providence given the large population variances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts