U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 08:58 PM

13,502 posts, read 10,252,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
He literally believes HIV is a punishment from God to the homosexuals. He is abhorrent and to even consider him for a vote is abhorrent and frankly shameful.

Do you have proof of this? Like I said, him and his wife took an HIV positive homosexual (from the streets) into their home and cared for him till his death. Can you imagine PC "tolerant" Baker doing such? Come on...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2018, 09:23 PM

11,178 posts, read 11,056,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Do you have proof of this? Like I said, him and his wife took an HIV positive homosexual (from the streets) into their home and cared for him till his death. Can you imagine PC "tolerant" Baker doing such? Come on...
It's on his campaign website.

Old 08-13-2018, 11:00 PM

10,052 posts, read 3,543,985 times
Quote:
I mean, the Sox play the Orioles and you have at least 3 articles covering the upcoming game. Why don't they provide equal coverage to something that actually MATTERS?
For what it's worth, I'd much rather read about the Red Sox - even on an off day.

Old 08-14-2018, 12:28 AM

10,052 posts, read 3,543,985 times
From his campaign website: https://www.livelyforgovernor.us/issues.htm#lgbt

Quote:
My Position on LGBT Issues

My views on LGBT issues are rooted in the Bible. I am deeply concerned for those who self-identify as homosexuals, bisexuals and transgender because the Bible warns that they will suffer great harm, both physically and spiritually. Honest observers can attest that the validity of this warning is manifest around us.

In the physical, Romans 1:26-27 cautions that people who indulge in voluntary homosexual acts “receive in themselves the penalty of their error which is due.” In other words, there are natural consequences to the body that result from sexual deviance. AIDS and other sexually-transmitted diseases are obvious examples, but even mental health problems can be associated with homosexuality, as the medical community once acknowledged before the age of bullying-enforced political correctness.

In the spiritual, I Corinthians 6:9-11 asks “Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the Kingdom of God? Do not be deceived, neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate [male transgenders], nor homosexuals…will inherit the Kingdom of God. Such were some of you, but you were washed, you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus and in the Spirit of our God.” This passage not only shows the severe spiritual consequences of homosexual sin, it also proves that there were spiritually-delivered “ex-gays” in the church from its very earliest days.

The Bible also teaches the principle of free will and so my policies will attempt to strike a balance between the social duty to discourage harmful conduct with the right of people to choose to harm themselves.

Our society continually wrestles with this type of contest in regulating conduct as diverse as cigarette smoking, traffic safety (e.g. seat-belts and helmets) and what we eat. Sexual conduct has an arguably greater impact on public health than the above, but it is unarguably a matter of public concern and an appropriate area for responsible regulation.

Click the link above to continue reading.

Old 08-14-2018, 07:09 AM

3,225 posts, read 1,896,652 times
Quote:

Either way, I will say this...I believe that Scott Lively is an honest and sincere man with good ideas for the state, and that he is not the hateful bigot that the left (and Baker) is trying to paint him as.
If you think these are 'good ideas', you're in the minority here in MA.

“Today, in the cynical, opportunistic style of LGBTQ activists everywhere, the world’s most powerful nation has asked all the other nations of the world to join in its blasphemy of God by flying the rainbow flag in memory of the ‘gay on gay’ slaughter at the homosexual Pulse nightclub in Orlando. It is the responsibility of Christians (and Torah-believing Jews) everywhere to speak out against this defilement of God’s rainbow, and to demand that the LGBT movement cease and desist cloaking itself in His flag.” posted after the Orlando shooting

"It is not mere coincidence that the emperors of Rome in its horrific final days were homosexual; that Adolf Hitler's inner circle were mostly homosexual; and that nearly all of the most prolific serial killers in U.S. history were homosexual. It is not mere coincidence that America's cultural decline parallels the rise of 'gay rights.’"

“We need to bring back public discussion of AIDS as a ‘gay’ disease, pederasty as [sic] major subculture of male homosexuality, mental health problems and domestic violence as major problems associated with lesbianism, the increasing recruitment of children into a homosexual identity through experimentation with ‘gay’ sex, etc. – all the truths we stopped telling because the other side screamed so loudly about them.”

Lively is to the gay community what the Rothschild conspiracists are to the Jewish community. It's a poor and hateful attempt to place the failures of a complex world on the shoulders of the single group/people ... and it's abhorrent.

Old 08-14-2018, 07:27 AM

38,727 posts, read 29,165,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
If you think these are 'good ideas', you're in the minority here in MA.

I think he's in Maine. And, I swear to god, some people don't read. No one is painting him as a hateful bigot, he paints himself as one. Because, well, he is a hateful bigot.

Old 08-14-2018, 07:39 AM

5,614 posts, read 5,110,201 times
When I first moved to Springfield I was looking for a coffee shop and I found one called holy grounds. Well I looked it up and Lively is the one that runs it. Apparently what he does is he actually gives out free espressos to people skipping High School down the street(Commerce High School).

Long ago I did consider myself somewhat religious and My Views changed because frankly it doesn't make any sense for the government to get involved in a consensual relationship between two adults.

Conservatives can call Baker a rhino all they want but at the end of the day let's just say in some weird world Lively won he'd lose the general election.

The reason why Baker does so well he's because he's really not too far to the left or right. Just minor Corrections here or there not unlike former fed Chief Alan Greenspan.

The economy is going pretty well now and we don't need to be divided social issues these days.

Even if you wasn't a nut job if Lively was even normal I've never seen him at any significant Springfield event. He doesn't show up the City Council meetings, neighborhood meetings, nonprofit meetings... you name it.

Old 08-14-2018, 07:41 AM

2,252 posts, read 1,127,111 times
“We need to bring back public discussion of AIDS as a ‘gay’ disease, pederasty as [sic] major subculture of male homosexuality, mental health problems and domestic violence as major problems associated with lesbianism”

Wow... Now that is a scary deranged human being.

Old 08-14-2018, 08:57 AM

9,739 posts, read 17,693,908 times
Quote:
Lively did get some coverage back in April when he made the ballot, most of it negative and containing subjective catch phrases like the ones I mentioned (they did similar during his 2014 run); but there has been almost zilch since then other than that WBUR interview which didn't really do him any favors. That is my point. Some poster mentioned how they monitor polls. What polls? I have been unable to find a single one. That you mention the Democratic candidates not receiving any light either, that dawned on me as well. I do not read the Globe (and would assume that they'd cover the the Democratic challengers at least), but if you say they haven't that is equally disturbing. The news media has the responsibility to cover these races, regardless of whether there is an assumed winner or not. I mean, the Sox play the Orioles and you have at least 3 articles covering the upcoming game. Why don't they provide equal coverage to something that actually MATTERS?
I read the Globe every day (I have subscriptions to all of the local papers for work), and there's very little coverage of anyone but Baker, and even that coverage skews negative (sometimes heavily so). Especially now with the MBTA stuff (as if it's his fault maintenance has been deferred for decades).

I just think we're coming to point of reckoning with the media and in the long run it'll be good, but right now it's tough. The media has always had a bias / slant and we've been naive pretending that it doesn't. They're run by human beings who have agendas and biases, and the reporters are also human beings with biases and agendas. "Unbiased reporting" is not a real thing. The Globe skews left. No question about it. Most of the Lively coverage has descriptions like "anti-gay candidate Scott Lively." But if you flip over to the Herald, you get stuff like "That’s my takeaway from the outrageous claim by Sen. Elizabeth Warren, the fake Indian." It's up to us, the readers, to be able to see through the bias and do our own homework. Unfortunately, most people don't want to do that and just become further entrenched in believing whatever the outlets that align with their own political views have to say. I think we're seeing a little bit more of a shift on that front though.

Quote:
As for the constant portrayal of Lively being a right wing religious wacko, I don't quite understand it. When looking at it where he stands on major issues of the day, I can't think of a single one that is significantly different from Reagan's (a man who took Massachusetts twice)! Even a Democrat like JFK's weren't really that different. The only thing that really stands out about Lively (over those others) is his religiosity and how much he brings it into the campaign. I don't necessarily see that as a negative, as long as he doesn't cross the line with it. If he truly is the God fearing man he claims to be, that should at least keep him honest and provide him motivation to care for the state's well being over the overwhelming temptations that political office can bring.
I completely understand the portrayal based on the fact that all media has a bias and Lively has said and done enough to make it easy to paint him as a religious wacko. My views are left of center, and I've read up a bit on Lively largely because of the things I've seen about him "blaming gays" for Holocaust, being responsible for the death of gays in Uganda, etc. So I wanted to see what that stuff was founded in. As I suspected, it's not quite as bad as it appears in the press, but it's way too far to the right for me. He didn't kill gays - but he did go to Uganda to rally against the "gay agenda" and said stuff like this “They are so far from normalcy that they’re killers. They’re serial killers, mass murderers. They’re sociopaths.” That's pretty extreme (there's actual footage of him saying this stuff out there you can find on Google). He may not be blaming gays for the entire holocaust, but he still says stuff like this in the book (which you can also find on Google) "The Pink Swastika is a response to the "gay political agenda" and its strategy of portraying homosexuals as victims of societal and Nazi persecution." and "The Nazi Party was conceived, organized and controlled throughout its short history by masculine-oriented male homosexuals."That's pretty extreme (even if others before have postulated the same thing). He's definitely anti-gay, so that's not an inaccurate portrayal. Responsible for the deaths of gay Ugandans? Eh, it's hard to directly implicate him (though he was implicated for crimes against Ugandans), but he's certainly no ally, and absolutely did nothing to help keep violence from happening.

The coverage of Lively reminds me a little of the coverage of Hillary in 2016. She had enough of a history to paint her as a monster, and that's exactly what the right leaning media did. There's enough of a history on Lively to paint him as a monster, but they really don't need to. Being an evangelical in MA is enough of a turnoff for most. The rest is gravy.

Quote:
Either way, I will say this...I believe that Scott Lively is an honest and sincere man with good ideas for the state, and that he is not the hateful bigot that the left (and Baker) is trying to paint him as. Maybe I will be proven wrong, and derogatory (factual) information might develop on him and I'll change my mind on his worthiness as a governor.
I'll give him "honest" (though that's not always great - at least in this case, it makes it easy to quickly see his extreme views) and I actually don't disagree with some of his ideas (I fully agree that the opioid epidemic is being exploited for profit), but I definitely think there's enough out there to call him bigoted (especially toward homosexuals). It's not the press, it's his own words that make that pretty clear. And for me, that's way too much to just look past.

Quote:
This race is sort of personal to me. While there was a limited amount of news coverage regarding Charlie Baker's partially successful attempt to purge conservatives and others he didn't perceive to be loyalists from the party; it went much deeper than that. Baker and his team were involved in some pretty shady, malicious and immoral actions targeting many but to include an individual who I have a great amount of respect for on a personal, professional and political level. Little do I know, it could be business as usual and could the majority of politicians at that level resort to behavior so low as a necessity for their survival. I just cannot live to accept it however, and I want Baker OUT. If Lively does turn out to be a total nut job like many are claiming, I would be totally OK voting for him just to let the Democrat be a shoo-in (even if it is somebody as wavering as Gonzalez). At least give somebody else a chance.
I can't pretend to know what you're referring to, but I just hope you (and everyone else, on both sides) does their homework on this guy. I can absolutely understand the issues people have with Baker. Especially conservatives who feel he is a RINO and a betrayer of the party. I just don't think Lively is the answer. It doesn't take a ton of digging to see where he kind of goes off the deep end.

Last edited by lrfox; 08-14-2018 at 09:05 AM..

Old 08-14-2018, 09:13 AM

8,410 posts, read 12,723,920 times
No, Lively is not the answer. He's a bomb thrower with no political experience and he's never run a business. Not qualified to be governor, he should have run for a local office first and gained experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts