U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 02:36 PM

14,303 posts, read 10,641,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
I am not sure about how Baker is 'left of most Democrats' - do you have an article, study that shows that his positions are particularly liberal?

As for studying up on his platform rather than listening to propaganda, I infer that you are referring to Lively. If that is the case, then I see the following issues with him:

1. His type of social conservationism does not mesh with mine. I don't care about what other people do in their lives, whether it be same sex relationships, abortions, etc.

Those are standard positions of the Republican party (as well as "JFK" Democrats), always have been.

Baker is 100% pro-abortion, is for Transgender Bathrooms and the confiscation of previously legal firearms, and has turned a blind eye to sanctuary cities. Even most Democrats don't seem to be for most of the stuff, only the hardest core ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
As seen from your subsequent posts, you have a very personal agenda against Baker. I am not questioning whether you are right or wrong, however you won't find many readers swayed by these types of appeals.
Not denying that. Once again, the main purpose of this discussion wasn't to necessarily win voters over to Lively. You are just an example of allowing one's personal bias take precedence over a demand for fairness and objectivity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
By modern conservative standards, nearly everyone is left of center - Nixon, Reagan, Bush Sr. Hell, even William Buckley would be derided as a centerist RINO in today's climate as I suspect he'd be a bit too educated and moderate for their liking.
Baker is left of Reagan on social issues (particularly abortion and drug policy), as well as most fiscal issues. Gay marriage, Transgender Bathrooms, Sanctuary Cities... those things hadn't been invented in his day, but I can't imagine Reagan being for those.

The only thing Reagan is to the left of Lively on (that I can think of), is gun control. In some ways, Lively is to the left of Reagan.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2018, 02:48 PM

8,455 posts, read 12,844,391 times
massnative71, I understand the point you were trying to make. While I won't be voting for Lively because I don't think he's qualified to be the Governor, that has never stopped the Globe before. As long as they agreed with some unqualified weirdo, they'd be happy to do a profile on him.

As you know, I have my issues with Baker, too. Too bad, because I like Karyn Polito very much.

Old 08-15-2018, 02:53 PM

38,727 posts, read 29,492,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
massnative71, I understand the point you were trying to make. While I won't be voting for Lively because I don't think he's qualified to be the Governor, that has never stopped the Globe before. As long as they agreed with some unqualified weirdo, they'd be happy to do a profile on him.

As you know, I have my issues with Baker, too. Too bad, because I like Karyn Polito very much.

You are literally the first person I've heard say that. I work with a ton of people from the Westborough region (my main office is there) and everyone has deep contempt for her. I don't know her history myself, but her family's shady real estate practices seem to be at the basis of it from these multi generation families in that area. I had never heard of her myself.

Old 08-15-2018, 02:55 PM

14,303 posts, read 10,641,026 times
I know she is a nice person, people do seem to have strong opinions of her though. Politics...

Old 08-15-2018, 02:59 PM

4,699 posts, read 3,211,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
No, I choose my friends wisely (straight or gay). But the data clearly shows it, and it shouldn't be a taboo to point it out. People have no problem throwing out that XXX race suffers more from YYYYYY than the general population, it's really no different.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
I have not researched and/or verified this, but I have heard that there's a high rate of domestic violence with lesbian couples.
I’d love to see some numbers! From a reputable source, please!

Old 08-15-2018, 03:10 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,285,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
By modern conservative standards, nearly everyone is left of center - Nixon, Reagan, Bush Sr. Hell, even William Buckley would be derided as a centerist RINO in today's climate as I suspect he'd be a bit too educated and moderate for their liking.
Sadly, you are absolutely correct about the shift in the GOP.

Old 08-15-2018, 03:12 PM

38,727 posts, read 29,492,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post

They are out there, sadly, but the raw numbers don't take into account self reporting biases and other factors that impact being LGBT in society (such as alienation from family and the effects on mental health, and it being harder for lesbians to leave relationships that are abusive, etc.).

No idea what this has to do with anything, it isn't like someone can't be a lesbian if they are one. We can work to not make people less alienated and more accepted and provide better support systems for all victims however.

Old 08-15-2018, 03:40 PM

10,572 posts, read 3,764,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
I don't have a credible source. As I said, I haven't researched this. It is just something I've seen posted several times on the relationships forum. I shouldn't have posted it. I had to run out for a few minutes and planned to delete it when I got back, but you had already quoted it.

I'm also not sure what it has to do with anything. But to be perfectly clear....

I don't support this Lively character. I think he is a nutcase as well as a homophobe hiding behind the bible. And his plan to regulate sexual conduct is absurd. What does that even mean?

Old 08-15-2018, 03:45 PM

3,494 posts, read 2,037,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
You are literally the first person I've heard say that. I work with a ton of people from the Westborough region (my main office is there) and everyone has deep contempt for her. I don't know her history myself, but her family's shady real estate practices seem to be at the basis of it from these multi generation families in that area. I had never heard of her myself.
Her fellow residents of Shrewsbury weren't exactly providing glowing reviews when I lived in town. Her ambitions were/are certainly viewed as an exercise in 'me me me'.

Old 08-15-2018, 03:51 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,285,294 times
Those are standard positions of the Republican party (as well as "JFK" Democrats), always have been.

Baker is 100% pro-abortion, is for Transgender Bathrooms and the confiscation of previously legal firearms, and has turned a blind eye to sanctuary cities. Even most Democrats don't seem to be for most of the stuff, only the hardest core ones.

I definitely don't agree. Most Democrats are pro-choice, indifferent to support of transgender bathrooms, and for stricter gun control in MA. Baker's view fit well within the electorate. As recently as July 25th, Baker remains the most popular governor in the country.

(Source: https://www.masslive.com/politics/in...mains_nat.html)

I have yet to read/hear of any source describe Charlie Baker as left of Democrats in MA. I have no doubt that many socially conservative/fringe right Republicans are not happy with Baker, however they do not represent an electorate of consequence.

Not to get off on a tangent, however the last thing I want to see is the GOP further destroyed/dismantled by these reactionary elements. In California, the GOP has been decimated. The last Republican Governor was Schwarzenegger, who similarly derided as a RINO. Lively and others like him have no chance in winning because they are out of step with the majority of the residents of MA. Maybe his rhetoric/agenda/platform would do well in the bible belt or in smaller communities of the Midwest, however there is no way that he can do well in New England.

Not denying that. Once again, the main purpose of this discussion wasn't to necessarily win voters over to Lively. You are just an example of allowing one's personal bias take precedence over a demand for fairness and objectivity.

Great. I am glad that you accept the personal agenda. I have no connection to Baker or his campaign. As a Republican, I do have a bias and would like to see my preferred party in power.

As far as Lively is concerned, he may want to study how he can win on a local level, before trying for the Governorship. I was going to recommend that he study someone like Scott Walker who won (trending purple) Wisconsin while holding fairly conservative positions, however Lively is still too far right of Walker and Wisconsin is a great deal more R-leaning than Massachusetts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts