U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 10:05 AM

15,882 posts, read 11,725,509 times

Advertisements

After an impressive showing at the state convention, little known underdog Dr. Scott Lively managed to get himself on the ballot against Charlie Baker. While still struggling with lacking name recognition, disgust with Baker has become so widespread (despite him being the most "popular governor in the USA") that there might be an appetite for the unknown (although Lively is honestly a very interesting guy with some promising ideas).

The question is, where has the local media been on this??? Are they afraid of him or something? Almost ZERO coverage. Not a single article covering the issues of the campaign, discontent with Baker, polls, and very little acknowledging Baker even has a challenger. Baker has cowardly refused to debate him, probably knowing he would be eaten alive. He has conspired with the state GOP to shut out Lively and favor himself (against their own rules), and the GOP even sent a poll in the mail that omitted Lively (while displaying all Democratic Primary candidates as options). I called the Massachusetts Republican Party to inquire about this, and they have yet to return my calls. The media likes to play victim in being targeted as "fake news", I say they did it to themselves.

Let's hope Lively ends up pulling the greatest upset of the century in "deep blue" Massachusetts!

Gardner, MA Politics information you should know created a poll.

August 11 at 12:56 PM ·

In the race for Governor there are 2 Republican Candidates. Figured I’d put up a poll. September primary is near. At this point who will be the likely winner of the primary.
CJ

83%Scott Lively

17%Charlie Baker.

And from Lively's website:

[CENTER][CENTER]Upset on September 4th Looking More and More Likely
[/CENTER][/CENTER]
The stunning poll featured in the graphic above is not scientific but is nevertheless very encouraging. Perhaps more accurate was this personal poll done by someone at a grocery store in Wilmington. We offer you the text of his email verbatim:
[CENTER][CENTER]______________________________[/CENTER][/CENTER]

New poll: Lively/Baker race is neck & neck in Wilmington.

A random sampling of 37 Republican primary voters in front of Market Basket today suggest a dead heat between Baker and Lively.

9 said they will vote Baker.
8 said they will vote Lively.

20 said they were undecided because they never heard of Lively. Of those 20, 6 expressed having strong conservative values. The other 14 were not liberal, just unknown.

Of the 37 republicans sampled, 30 said they never heard of Lively.

7 of the 30 were so unhappy with Baker they said they would vote Lively, even with the fact of never hearing of Lively.

Of the 7 republicans who did here of him, little was known of him and only 1 was for Baker, 1 was for lively and 5 were still undecided.

Of the 37, 9 were from Wilmington,
20 were unknown.
3 were In Billerica.
2 Woburn
1 N Reading
1 Burlington
1 Braintree
Of the 8 out-of-towners, 5 were for Baker and 3 were undecided.

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2018, 10:34 AM

13,123 posts, read 14,919,000 times
Never heard of him. SO I hop on the old google and do a quick search.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Lively
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abiding_Truth_Ministries

Yeah....as much as i'd like to see Baker out, i'm gonna pass.

Old 08-13-2018, 10:40 AM

5,109 posts, read 3,578,863 times
What exactly has Baker done to warrant all the hatred?
(Not saying I love the guy - this is honestly the first I’m hearing about it)

Also thanks for the links, BostonMike. Would never vote for that guy in a million years!

Old 08-13-2018, 10:46 AM

7,383 posts, read 3,130,541 times
Lively is an anti gay extremist nut who has called Massachusetts “the most morally corrupt state in the Union“. He adheres to a warped version of Christianity that he wants to impose on all. His candidacy has zero chance of going anywhere.

11 Things to Know about Scott Lively, the Anti-Gay Pastor Challenging Charlie Baker
https://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/.../scott-lively/

Old 08-13-2018, 11:00 AM

2,462 posts, read 1,280,980 times
I stopped reading at "Conservative Christian"

Old 08-13-2018, 11:12 AM

533 posts, read 541,651 times
Baker has my vote

Old 08-13-2018, 11:24 AM

6,688 posts, read 5,841,045 times
You aren't *really* promoting this guy right?

I don't consider myself liberal but frankly same sex marriage is the law the land. The world did not end when it came down on a state or national level. We don't really need religion in government.

This guy is to springfield to what Lyndon Larrouse is to the US political system.

Baker has done a pretty good job all things being said. I rather have a social liberal that is financially conservative then vice versa.

Old 08-13-2018, 12:57 PM

3,778 posts, read 2,323,354 times
The short of the long:

Right leaning media has blasted Baker for being a RINO and standing against Trump on a number of issues > a minority of Republican delegates went Lively as not-so-subtle suggestion Baker shift right > R voters at Market Basket, fresh off listening to Limbaugh/Carr and hearing of Lively's run, are vocally anti-Baker for being a moderate Republican in the not-so-moderate party of Trump > legitimate polling shows Republican primary voters heavily favoring Baker, with inde and dem voters also showing favorable > Media sees polling numbers, Lively's vitriol, and reflects back on their burning focus on then candidate Trump ... pauses ... then says "nope, not in this environment".

Old 08-13-2018, 01:54 PM

92 posts, read 61,591 times
HARD pass on this loon

Old 08-13-2018, 03:17 PM

12,381 posts, read 10,940,389 times
That man is a space shot........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts