Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 01:30 PM

15,692 posts, read 20,203,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcomber4 View Post
Yet beachgoers cry, "overkill" when lifeguards clear the water when there is a seal sighting.
This is done? I've only heard about them clearing a beach when a shark is spotted...not seals.

Trust me, when I was in the water and saw that seal, I felt VERY venerable and got myself into wading depth very fast. I still remember that feeling as the seal put it head under water and I had no idea what was around me.

I'm more of a lake swimmer anyway. Oceans aren't my thing as much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2018, 08:49 PM

2,201 posts, read 5,330,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
This is done? I've only heard about them clearing a beach when a shark is spotted...not seals.

Trust me, when I was in the water and saw that seal, I felt VERY venerable and got myself into wading depth very fast. I still remember that feeling as the seal put it head under water and I had no idea what was around me.

I'm more of a lake swimmer anyway. Oceans aren't my thing as much.
I know it’s done by lifeguards in Sandwich, Barnstable and Bourne.

I understand your concerns. We had a Seal you could set your watch by that swam along the beach most of the summer. One afternoon we saw the food chain in action. Bait fish chased by small stripers and then a seal. They all swam in toward the shore at a very fast clip. We wondered if there was something behind the seal as we usually saw that behavior parallel to the beach. We definitely stayed closer to shore this summer. Too many stories of sharks going after stripers in the bay breaching and then biting them
Off the lines of fisherman.

Still won’t get me in any of the ponds of lakes in town though. 😂

Old 09-20-2018, 11:28 PM

17,154 posts, read 8,794,263 times
Quote:
Apparently you can get Legionnaires' Disease as well just by going to your local popular hotel.
3 people got Legionnaire's from a health care facility in Providence.

RIDOH: Legionnaire’s Disease found at health care center

Old 09-21-2018, 04:24 AM

1,127 posts, read 1,246,767 times
As I keep saying, you can get killed driving Route 6 in Dennis. Many have.

Old 09-22-2018, 07:34 PM

31 posts, read 52,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tovarisch View Post
We went with no phone, no food, no drinks, no sunscreen, no umbrella, no flip flops, no hats...the list goes on. Just a ratty bath towel, each, and maybe a Frisbee.

And as kids we would have contests to see who could swim the farthest out, while mom and dad snoozed on the beach. That just doesn't happen now, 40 years later...

Old 09-24-2018, 07:56 PM

712 posts, read 523,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tovarisch View Post
As I keep saying, you can get killed driving Route 6 in Dennis. Many have.
The death of one is tragic, the death of a million a statistic.

Yea and maybe we should just ignore school shootings since you're more likely to die in a car accident? No big deal. Unlike school shootings, this is an easy solution to make people safer.

People have lost their minds talking about "its' the sharks home". Well maybe we shouldn't kill mice either. It's their home. Sharks never used to be in cape cod and everything was fine. It's disgusting that officials have allowed this to happen. They have blood on their hands. People are still not truly warned of the danger. They think it won't happen to them

You have to remember that all the shark conservationists have an agenda and lie to people about their actual risk for an attack. They love to manipulate people with lightning statistics. Let's say you live in an area of high gw shark concentration and you go for a swim in shark infested waters every morning then your exposure to sharks is way greater than someone who lives in nebraska or people who visit beaches without high shark concentrations. All of those people(300 million people in the U.S.) are exposed to lightning regularly, but very few are exposed to shark infested waters every day.

It's all about exposure to the risk. Cape cod is infested with gw sharks. It's not the same as going to the beach in NJ, maryland ect. I'd actually say cape cod has become unique in the WORLD in it's ratio of beach goers to shark concentration. Google reunion island shark attacks to see what can happen when you have a high concentration of sharks in a feeding frenzy near shore. They had to ban people from the water and finally they netted the beaches to make it safe. The lunatic shark people didn't want nets!

Cape cod is unique in that you have a near shore feeding frenzy with white sharks even beaching themselves because they are so close. And then those same idiots on the beach help put the shark back in! I don't know how the animal rights people feel sorry for a stupid fish with no feelings, but have no feelings for baby seals, which are mammals with basic animals feelings, being chopped in half and left to bleed to death Makes zero sense. I'm on team seal.

Because GW sharks are in extremely high concentration, Your chance of an attack in cape cod is exponentially higher than other mid atlantic coast beaches. Now only recently is this the case since GW sharks just showed up because of a grey seal population explosion. These attacks will only become more common.

The reason there wasn't an attack for decades is because the grey seal was wiped out from cape cod and therefore didn't attract the white sharks. Now there are 50k+ in Cape cod that migrated from sable island in canada and it's a big ass dinner bell. Don't listen for a second to people who say the white shark is endangered. They have no idea of their numbers. 15 foot long sharks weren't born yesterday. They were there the entire time deep in the open ocean. The seals simply brought them close to shore in high concentration so people now see them.

Things were better when the atlantic white shark was feeding on fish off the shelf instead of coming in 4 feet of water 5 feet from shore and killing people and seals. There was almost never any sightings of white sharks near cape cod beaches. Now there are hundreds in a month.

It's a sad state of affairs when human life is so cheap, we value sharks over human beings. The shark fanatics actually fight to have protective beach nets removed in australia because sharks get caught in them sometimes. It's an over sized gold fish.

Old 09-25-2018, 08:05 AM

15,692 posts, read 20,203,443 times
So what's the solution? Bring shark fishing tournaments to the Cape?

Old 09-25-2018, 09:17 AM

1,897 posts, read 1,377,891 times
Quote:
So what's the solution? Bring shark fishing tournaments to the Cape?
Seal hunting tournament would be more effective.

Old 09-25-2018, 09:19 AM

1,359 posts, read 864,634 times
The only answer is to bring in more sharks to reduce the seal population.

Old 09-25-2018, 09:20 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,728,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
Seal hunting tournament would be more effective.

And, thankfully, that would be in violation of the Marine Mammal Protection Act of 1972.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts