Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 04:02 PM

10,014 posts, read 15,659,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post

PS: See Jaws, total classic.
Well that's one thing we agree about. Jaws is a classic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2018, 05:40 PM

17,715 posts, read 9,181,543 times
Quote:
Actually that's not always best when a person is weigh costs and benefits. And deer tick encounters aren't primarily in wooded areas but early successional habitats preferred by deer and white footed mice.

It seems once again you don't know what you're talking about and you get your info from random websites and not actually from field techs / prescribed fire crews and what not that work and life in the fields for a living. And yes, it is often good to cover up (sometimes unwise to as well), but that has little to do with deer ticks which aren't deterred by long pants or long shirts.
It's common knowledge that you should always wear long sleeves and long pants in areas where ticks are. And I'll take the advice from the Plant Pro (Sejal Lanterman) and a URI professor. They will tell you that long sleeves and long pants aren't even enough. Everything needs to be tucked in, and you should also use a spray.

Quote:
The lack of common sense is yours if you're fearing getting hit by a drunk driver so you are afraid to get in your car. What are the odds? It goes from what, 1 in 2500 to 1 in 2000? You let that control your life? Yikes. That's not using the brain. That's living in fear and being paranoid. There are loads of sound reasons not to go out on NYE. Crowds. Places jacking up prices or covers for nothing. But fear of being hit by a drunk driver? Come on now. Might as well not drive any Friday or Saturday night and St Patricks to with that irrational thought process. If I recall right NYE wasn't even in the top 5 worst days for DD accidents, it was something like 4th of July for the worst. Still, the odds are extremely low.
Control my life? Living in fear? Being paranoid?

It's 2 nights a year (New Years Eve and Super Bowl Sunday) when a significant percentage of the population is partying hard.

Old 08-21-2018, 07:14 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
It's common knowledge that you should always wear long sleeves and long pants in areas where ticks are. And I'll take the advice from the Plant Pro (Sejal Lanterman) and a URI professor. They will tell you that long sleeves and long pants aren't even enough. Everything needs to be tucked in, and you should also use a spray.
Sprays don't do crap against ticks (deet based), it isn't even really a deterrent. The real solution is to do a thorough tick check.

But you obviously have never spent real time working in the field if you think you can be outside working / physical with pants tucked into long socks day in and day out with long sleeve shirts (or not). There are days I need to wear Nomex jumpsuits. It's not a real day solution. And by the way, they don't stop ticks either. There is good reasons to wear long pants: putting moquito spray on clothing instead of skin, protection from sun, poison ivy, green briar, multi flora rose, etc. Ticks aren't one of them.

But yeah, you live your life based on web posts. I'll take leads from the people I work with out brush hogging, to rx fire, logging, etc. You know, the people that live it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Control my life? Living in fear? Being paranoid?

It's 2 nights a year (New Years Eve and Super Bowl Sunday) when a significant percentage of the population is partying hard.

And St Patricks Day, and 4th of July, August ocean on the Cape (guess 9/1 is safe though), and and and... Yeah. Living in fear against statistical long shots.

You can live like that. Not me. That's not living.

Last edited by timberline742; 08-21-2018 at 07:23 PM..

Old 08-21-2018, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Sprays don't do crap against ticks (deet based), it isn't even really a deterrent. The real solution is to do a thorough tick check.

But you obviously have never spent real time working in the field if you think you can be outside working / physical with pants tucked into long socks day in and day out with long sleeve shirts (or not). There are days I need to wear Nomex jumpsuits. It's not a real day solution. And by the way, they don't stop ticks either. There is good reasons to wear long pants: putting moquito spray on clothing instead of skin, protection from sun, poison ivy, green briar, multi flora rose, etc. Ticks aren't one of them.

But yeah, you live your life based on web posts. I'll take leads from the people I work with out brush hogging, to rx fire, logging, etc. You know, the people that live it.

You're right. I should just dismiss the info from the Plant Pro and the URI professor, along with the dozens (if not hundreds) of other sources that say the same thing. Instead, I should get my info from some guy named Timberline742 on an anonymous message board. Makes sense. Thanks.

Last edited by redplum33; 08-21-2018 at 08:12 PM..

Old 08-23-2018, 07:52 AM

24,484 posts, read 17,220,223 times
How did a shark attack turn into a debate about ticks?

My wife and I went to Longnook beach yesterday where the guy was bitten and we didn't see any sharks but we did hear that one was seen swimming by about 10 in the morning. We did see 2 seals though and a school of fish leaping out of the water.

As for ticks you can pick them up anywhere. I have been riding my bike in Nickerson State park and haven't had one tick on me but I did get one after I found a racoon living in my boat. I kicked it out and started cleaning up the mess and that evening I found a tick biting me.

You never know when a tick will get on you, when a car might crash into you or when a shark might bite but staying out of the sharks realm is easy to do.

Old 08-23-2018, 08:33 PM

Dead great white shark found on beach in Truro

9 feet long

Old 08-24-2018, 09:59 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,236,547 times
So thats more dead sharks than dead people. Maybe its too dangerous for sharks there.

Old 08-24-2018, 12:49 PM

1,362 posts, read 873,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
So thats more dead sharks than dead people. Maybe its too dangerous for sharks there.
Maybe the guy he bit had Lyme disease.

Old 08-24-2018, 01:32 PM

24,484 posts, read 17,220,223 times
My wife and I took a site seeing plane trip out of Chatham yesterday up the coast to P town and back. We saw several sharks on the Atlantic side but none in the bay. I'm not saying they were not there but we didn't see any and we were looking. We saw the shark guys getting ready to tag a shark and we saw 2 great whites hanging out off a beach and a surfer was heading out towards one. The pilot called someone about that situation. We also saw hundreds if not thousands of seals hauled out getting some sun and others swimming.

The trip is about an hour long and the pilot said his record for sightings of GW's was 20.

They are out there so be careful.

Old 08-24-2018, 03:33 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,261,146 times
How safe were you in that plane?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts