Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 08:33 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,101,074 times

Advertisements

While I bought sometime back, I still receive MLS/Redfin listings and keep an eye out for friends/family currently looking. I've noticed in the last 8 months or so Acton's low end listings are approaching equilibrium with towns like Littleton, Westford, or ...gasp ... Marlborough. As a central MA 'townie', I'm astounded that Acton can be bought so cheaply in this market despite decades of excellent reputation, commuter rail, and generally good proximity to a number of job markets.

So what's the deal?

-inner belt towns, in particular Marlborough, are overheated?
-'borough job market growth is bringing in transplants who aren't tethered to old MA hierarchies?
-Acton buyers are seeking high end and lower end buyers can't swing $400-450K mortgage AND a nearly $20/thou tax rate?
-updated flood planes?
-realtors in town are attempting to ignite bidding wars and jaded buyers aren't taking the bait?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2018, 08:36 AM

652 posts, read 742,782 times
It's just so far from the city jobs. Also, maybe a flood of listings due to the peak economy is actually depressing prices due to supply/demand?

Old 08-23-2018, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rethcir View Post
It's just so far from the city jobs. Also, maybe a flood of listings due to the peak economy is actually depressing prices due to supply/demand?
This would make sense if prices in towns like Marlborough and Hudson were depressed, but instead they're at all time highs.

Old 08-23-2018, 08:45 AM

23,072 posts, read 18,215,921 times
Are taxes in Acton super high?

My impression is the belt towns have just caught up more, especially with all the job growth in the boros, etc. Places like Westford, Littleton and Hudson have also increased in amenities and commercial development recently, while Acton has been sort of stagnant and tired in that regard. Acton is closer to Boston/128 (although still a lousy commute), but it's not closer to anything else really.

I noticed this myself, but for much longer than the past 8 months. You would expect it to be in the $ range of a town like Sudbury, for instance, but it clearly isn't. That's why I was wondering if something like high taxes was holding it back, or some other issue I'm not aware of like school funding or overcrowding.

Old 08-23-2018, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I noticed this myself, but for much longer than the past 8 months. You would expect it to be in the $ range of a town like Sudbury, for instance, but it clearly isn't. That's why I was wondering if something like high taxes was holding it back, or some other issue I'm not aware of like school funding or overcrowding.
Precisely, particularly since Acton-Boxborough schools are consistently top ranked and on par or better than some of the top tier metrowest towns.

Old 08-23-2018, 09:01 AM

41,940 posts, read 36,716,568 times
It is weird, Acton-Boxborough were very good schools in the 80s. So its not a recent thing.

(Hudson of course has become very hip)

Old 08-23-2018, 09:30 AM

23,072 posts, read 18,215,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
It is weird, Acton-Boxborough were very good schools in the 80s. So its not a recent thing.

(Hudson of course has become very hip)
Westford is now considered up there with A-B (it might not have been in the 80s), perhaps that is part of the reason of Westford gaining ground on them.

Hudson schools have actually gotten fairly good (from what I hear) although not quite up to snuff with the other towns mentioned. With kids I would go with Westford or A-B (or Littleton), without kids I would probably prefer Hudson. I certainly like it better than Marlborough.

Old 08-23-2018, 10:28 AM

875 posts, read 654,219 times
Long/difficult commute, very high taxes, and schools starting to get a pressure cooker reputation

Old 08-23-2018, 10:59 AM

4,997 posts, read 3,843,232 times
Acton is at the very very high end of 495 towns, much like a Hopkinton. There's a ceiling with towns in that belt, and with the recent influx of affluence in towns like Waltham, Melrose, Reading, and Arlington, I suppose it is stunting growth in a town like Acton. That said, and on the contrary, towns that offer cheaper housing are at an advantage right now.. So, places like Maynard, Hudson, Framingham, and Marlborough heat up as buyers are phased out of the inner ring. Why are housing costs drastically increasing in Everett/Chelsea? Similar idea.

Regardless, i'm not really seeing the stunted growth that is being presented. Median list prices were $539k as of April 2015. They're now $629k as of EOM July. I'd call that good growth, and certainly wouldn't call it cheap.

Old 08-23-2018, 12:46 PM

4,997 posts, read 3,843,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Westford is now considered up there with A-B (it might not have been in the 80s), perhaps that is part of the reason of Westford gaining ground on them.

Hudson schools have actually gotten fairly good (from what I hear) although not quite up to snuff with the other towns mentioned. With kids I would go with Westford or A-B (or Littleton), without kids I would probably prefer Hudson. I certainly like it better than Marlborough.
Pretty much agree. I'd also add that Westford, to me, is simply nicer. PPSQFT is essentially a wash, but I think Westford offers more in the way of amenities, newer schools, cleaner look. Just my opinion. Eventually, and sooner than later, Westford will hit a luxury ceiling which caps the median home value.. Only so high outer ring suburbs can climb. Hopkinton and Southborough would be other good examples.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts