U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 01:51 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,450,357 times

Advertisements

OK, I needed to renew my MA driver license. I had two choices for the license; the plain-vanilla type or the new, enhanced security version (REAL ID). Well, upward and onward I say! Let’s go for the newest version, good for flying on airlines and such.

Go to the MA Registry of Motor Vehicle web site. Or thought I did. There’s an outfit out there, that has a web page that looks an awful a lot like the governement site, which fooled me, and charged me, for substantially nothing, $20 bucks. Here’s there web site. Be warned:

driverslicenseadvisors.org

Well, I dealt with that (had the charges removed), and decided, no more use of the internet, we’ll do this in person!

In MA (and likely other places), I had the option of going to the MA Registry Office on Cape, which is generally a madhouse, with long waits, or a local AAA that offers some of the services of the Registry office (for a limited number of items).

So, I first checked the MA Reg site to see what I needed for the enhanced license. Thought I understood it (didn’t…) and, off to the local AAA office.

Nice people there, just following the requirements set forth by the MA DMV, which are:

*To renew your MA driver's license in person, visit your local Massachusetts RMV office or AAA members can renew at some AAA branches in Massachusetts and bring:

• A completed Driver’s License, Learner’s Permit or ID Card Application (Form LIC100).
• 1 document showing U.S. citizenship or lawful presence/ date of birth such as a:
o Certified copy of a U.S. birth certificate.
o U.S. passport or passport card.
o Certificate of Citizenship (Form N-560 or N-561).
• 1 document proving your MA residency, such as:
o Any RMV-issued document.
o A mortgage or lease document dated within 60 days.
o Federal-, state-, or municipal-issued documents such as first-class mail.
o A utility bill, credit card statement, or medical statement dated within 60 days.
• 1 document proving your Social Security number* (the document MUST show all 9 digits of your SSN) such as a:
o Social Security card.
o W-2 form.

I failed the security requirements for the REAL ID. Although I had brought with me:

>A current passport
>My MA state issued retired police ID
>My current concealed carry card, also state issued
>My current MA issued driver license

What I did not have was, something with my social security number on it. Sigh. No REAL ID for me.

OK, no biggie. Thus, I filled out the MA Registry form, noting that they asked me for my social security number. Which begs the question; if my simply jotting down the number on the form is OK for a normal license, what would stop me from putting down a phoney social security number?

Anyway, if anyone is interested in getting themselves the enhanced version of their driver license, let this be a warning; bring all the correct stuff!!!!!!

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2018, 02:12 PM

8,617 posts, read 13,212,270 times
That's good to know about the AAA offices, thanks.

I believe if you are a married woman (like me) and have changed your name, you also need a copy of your marriage certificate. I will have to get it from Boston.

Old 08-23-2018, 02:43 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,450,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
That's good to know about the AAA offices, thanks.

I believe if you are a married woman (like me) and have changed your name, you also need a copy of your marriage certificate. I will have to get it from Boston.
They were very "anal" about all the documentation needed. The MA web site was not clear on the matter, so, be warned!!

Rich

Old 08-23-2018, 03:54 PM

8,617 posts, read 13,212,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichCapeCod View Post
They were very "anal" about all the documentation needed. The MA web site was not clear on the matter, so, be warned!!

Rich
My sister, who lives in NH, had to go to her registry 4 or 5 times before she was able to get one so it's not just this state.

Old 08-23-2018, 04:14 PM

24,078 posts, read 23,540,980 times
I moved from MA to CT last year and it was insane just to get a normal license. By sad co-incidence, I had to renew my MA license a few weeks before I moved (I was still an official MA resident), but MA was supposed to send the new license to my new address in CT. Instead, they sent it to my old MA address and it was returned to the registry. They do not forward drivers licenses (probably for good reason.)

CT needed the MA license which I had never received. Then CT needed all sorts of other things and every time I went, it seemed I was missing SOMETHING. The last thing they wanted was my social security CARD. Not the number--the actual CARD. Well, after all these years, I had no idea where the original CARD was. So they made me drive into downtown Hartford, go to the SS office, through security, answer all these stupid security questions, and apply for a new card!

My new paper SS card arrived in another week or so. I called the MA RMV and that's how I found out that they had sent my drivers license to the wrong address (even though I had given them the new address and they said they would send it to the new address.) They agreed to send me my MA license like they were supposed to.

All in all, I think it took two months to get my CT license. The offices in MA are much nicer than the trashy old offices in CT so you've got that going for you.

Old 08-23-2018, 08:48 PM

394 posts, read 605,617 times
"real id' needs to be repealed. I refused to get one here is Az. and never will.

Old 08-24-2018, 05:37 AM

1,383 posts, read 490,846 times
I heard the same complaints from other people trying to get a real ID in Ma. And all of that doesnt include the 4 to 5 hr waiting times at the registry. You would think a current passport would take care of lots of this documentation making it unnecessary. The federal govt approves you but Ma doesnt?
Not worth the hassle. If you are going to fly get a passport then you dont need a real ID. Get the reg vanilla flavor license. Can renew that online.

Old 08-24-2018, 05:48 AM

7,158 posts, read 4,156,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
I heard the same complaints from other people trying to get a real ID in Ma. And all of that doesnt include the 4 to 5 hr waiting times at the registry. You would think a current passport would take care of lots of this documentation making it unnecessary. The federal govt approves you but Ma doesnt?
Not worth the hassle. If you are going to fly get a passport then you dont need a real ID. Get the reg vanilla flavor license. Can renew that online.
Actually, the Fed Govt is the one that sets the requirements for the states.

Personally I wouldn't want to carry a passport with me for domestic travel - it's one more thing to forget in the gray bin during screening.

Old 08-24-2018, 06:00 AM

20,479 posts, read 11,980,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Actually, the Fed Govt is the one that sets the requirements for the states.

Personally I wouldn't want to carry a passport with me for domestic travel - it's one more thing to forget in the gray bin during screening.

I have both a passport and a passport card. I doubt I'll ever bother with RealID. The TSA keeps extending the date.

Old 08-24-2018, 06:48 AM

3,648 posts, read 3,276,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I have both a passport and a passport card. I doubt I'll ever bother with RealID. The TSA keeps extending the date.
This controversy is amazing to me. I moved here recently from CT, where my license issued back in 2014 already met the "RealID" requirements. Here we are in 2018, and MA RMV is having conniptions.

What's the bottom line--since I plan on getting a MA RealID license--can I or can I not go to a AAA office and get this done? (I'm an AAA member). Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts