Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 08:30 PM

652 posts, read 750,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattlefan View Post
We checked Newton, Waltham and Watertown. To our surprise we liked Newton least. Watertown felt like Newton just less wealthy perhaps. Waltham seemed run down and sketchy but I think looks are deceiving as it felt safe.
I'm somewhat curious A) what parts (villages) of Newton you saw and B) what you didn't like about it?

Speaking as a Newton homeowner, I do get bummed about how much more house I could have almost anywhere else. I also have had a hard time making any kind of social connections in our neighborhood, which is mostly rentals, but I am somewhat reserving judgement until our child starts going into the school system, activities, etc..

I do love my commute and the highway connections here though (when not imprisioned by rush hour).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2018, 10:20 PM

317 posts, read 331,731 times
From your description I’m not sure you saw Newton beyond what borders Waltham and Watertown. Did you go to Newton Center, Newton Highlands, etc? It’s pretty unaffordable so it’s actually probably for the best that you didn’t like it.

Old 09-27-2018, 04:30 AM

341 posts, read 302,619 times
Quote:
We checked Newton, Waltham and Watertown. To our surprise we liked Newton least. Watertown felt like Newton just less wealthy perhaps. Waltham seemed run down and sketchy but I think looks are deceiving as it felt safe.

Checked out north shore coastal towns such as Swampscott, Marblehead and Newburyport and liked the vibe there but infrastructure and potential for flooding along with commute is concerning. I think South is our best bet. Still need to check Melrose and Medford though but we are leaning more towards South ( Quincy, Braintree, Milton, maybe Hingham) and SW ( Norwood, Canton and Westwood).
Westwood can be pretty high. Those that can't get into Westwood are having good luck with Walpole. Bit further out, but if you're checking Hingham it's about what Walpole would be distance-wise compared to Hingham from Quincy/Braintree

Old 09-27-2018, 05:43 AM

74 posts, read 70,911 times
We checked out Newton Centre, Newton Highlands and Newtonwville. Did not like aggressive and rude drivers, people actually felt coldest out of all places we visited. We don’t have any kids so we won’t fit in this town. It just does not have a vibe we are looking for. And it’s unreasonably expensive.

Old 09-27-2018, 07:35 AM

652 posts, read 750,174 times
Quote:
We checked out Newton Centre, Newton Highlands and Newtonwville. Did not like aggressive and rude drivers, people actually felt coldest out of all places we visited. We don’t have any kids so we won’t fit in this town. It just does not have a vibe we are looking for. And it’s unreasonably expensive.
Very understandable. Quite frankly there is no reason to pay the "surcharge" to live in Newton unless you plan to make use of the school system.

I would strongly advise you to reset your expectations around rude drivers. They are unfortunately just a fact of life around here and the only alternative is to move to NH.

Old 09-27-2018, 07:58 AM

10,020 posts, read 15,665,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rethcir View Post

I would strongly advise you to reset your expectations around rude drivers. They are unfortunately just a fact of life around here and the only alternative is to move to NH.
The closer you get to the city, the worse the drivers.

Old 09-27-2018, 08:29 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,644,887 times
Quote:
Forget Natick in that case too. At least three drivers speeding through crosswalks while I was in one of them.

Old 10-01-2018, 12:12 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,724,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rethcir View Post
Very understandable. Quite frankly there is no reason to pay the "surcharge" to live in Newton unless you plan to make use of the school system.

Rude drivers were one of the main reasons I did not like Boston the first time I lived here. They are, sadly, not limited to Newton. I've seen them in every Boston area town, so if that's a deal breaker, you may have a problem with moving here. Eventually you get used to people making left turns from the right lane.

Old 10-01-2018, 12:22 PM

341 posts, read 302,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
Rude drivers were one of the main reasons I did not like Boston the first time I lived here. They are, sadly, not limited to Newton. I've seen them in every Boston area town, so if that's a deal breaker, you may have a problem with moving here. Eventually you get used to people making left turns from the right lane.
Let's be real, rude drivers is not just a Boston thing. It's everywhere. I don't buy it that it's worse in the Boston area than anywhere else. I've seen plenty in Providence, NYC, LA, Orlando. It's worse today because of everyone's self entitlement and being clueless about your environment and surroundings.

Old 10-01-2018, 12:23 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by life4orce View Post
Let's be real, rude drivers is not just a Boston thing. It's everywhere. I don't buy it that it's worse in the Boston area than anywhere else. I've seen plenty in Providence, NYC, LA, Orlando. It's worse today because of everyone's self entitlement and being clueless about your environment and surroundings.

Providence is far far worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts