U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 11:13 AM

1,131 posts, read 2,289,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oihamad View Post
For reference, these are the 2013 ACS Ancestry numbers for each town. I tried to paste a link but it goes directly to a generic American Factfinder search page.

Dracut Mass:

Total ancestries reported: 39131

Total reporting French/French Canadian Ancestry: 8458 (nearly 22%)

Lewiston Maine:

Total ancestries reported: 44595

Total reporting French/French Canadian Ancestry: 16486 (nearly 40%)

Chicopee, Mass:

Total ancestries reported: 69990

Total reporting French/French Canadian: 16020 (around 22%)

Southbridge, Mass:

Total Ancestries reported: 21365

Total reporting French/French Canadian: 4999 (around 24%)

Manchester, NH:

Total ancestries reported: 134,529

Total reporting French/French Canadian: 31,661 (around 23%)

Woonsocket, RI:

Total Ancestries Reported: 50679

French/French Canadian: 16803 (over 33%)

In each of these places, those reporting French or French Canadian ancestry are the largest ancestry group in the population so I would imagine there is at least a remnant of Quebec heritage if not active Quebec culture in these towns. So, I don't know where you could get the idea that Franco-Americans "haven't lived in these towns for decades" lol.
Would you mind posting how you derived these statistics? I looked at the ACS and could not find 2013 data, much less ancestry information. The best I could do was race (and not for 2013).

BTW: I agree with the poster(s) who said that French-Canadian culture is very much diluted in New England, outside of the parts of Maine close to New Brunswick, where you'll find people flying the Acadian flag. Those people, BTW, were originally from Brittany and Normandy, unlike Quebecois, who derived from the Loire River Valley (and brought their strange, long, narrow away from the river parcel development patterns with them).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2019, 02:04 PM

906 posts, read 1,157,894 times
Plenty of French Canadian ancestry in N Central MA, factory towns like Gardner and Fitchburg and surrounding areas. Totally anglicized last name pronunciations have taken over in many cases (Arsenault = “Arson-alt”, Bourgault = “Burg-alt”, Benoit = “Ben-oyt”) but it’s clear where these folks came from a few generations ago.

Old 04-19-2019, 02:11 PM

13,759 posts, read 10,367,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCMA View Post
Plenty of French Canadian ancestry in N Central MA, factory towns like Gardner and Fitchburg and surrounding areas. Totally anglicized last name pronunciations have taken over in many cases (Arsenault = “Arson-alt”, Bourgault = “Burg-alt”, Benoit = “Ben-oyt”) but it’s clear where these folks came from a few generations ago.
Athol, Gardner, Winchendon, Templeton, etc. folk are heavily Acadian ancestry (from northern New Brunswick).

Old 04-20-2019, 06:49 AM

24,374 posts, read 30,721,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rranger View Post
Would you mind posting how you derived these statistics? I looked at the ACS and co

BTW: I agree with the poster(s) who said that French-Canadian culture is very much diluted in New England, outside of the parts of Maine close to New Brunswick, where you'll find people flying the Acadian flag. Those people, BTW, were originally from Brittany and Normandy, unlike Quebecois, who derived from the Loire River Valley (and b.
More like the other way around.

Québécois are primarily descended from people in Normandy and the Paris region.

Acadiens are generally descended from people in the Loire valley and Poitou-Charente.

Old 04-25-2019, 06:20 PM

1,131 posts, read 2,289,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
More like the other way around.

Québécois are primarily descended from people in Normandy and the Paris region.

Acadiens are generally descended from people in the Loire valley and Poitou-Charente.
Interesting, I had read a number of times exactly what I wrote. Just goes to show ...

Old 05-07-2019, 01:21 PM

80 posts, read 63,162 times
Hi,

To get the 2013 ACS Statistics on ancestry, go to this page, which is the Advanced Search Option for American Factfinder, https://factfinder.census.gov/faces/...html?refresh=t

And then enter Total Ancestry Reported in the left search bar and enter the town or municipality you want info for in the right search bar

Old 05-07-2019, 01:22 PM

80 posts, read 63,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rranger View Post
Would you mind posting how you derived these statistics? I looked at the ACS and could not find 2013 data, much less ancestry information. The best I could do was race (and not for 2013).

BTW: I agree with the poster(s) who said that French-Canadian culture is very much diluted in New England, outside of the parts of Maine close to New Brunswick, where you'll find people flying the Acadian flag. Those people, BTW, were originally from Brittany and Normandy, unlike Quebecois, who derived from the Loire River Valley (and brought their strange, long, narrow away from the river parcel development patterns with them).
Hi,

To get the 2013 ACS Statistics on ancestry, go to this page, which is the Advanced Search Option for American Factfinder, https://factfinder.census.gov/faces/...html?refresh=t

And then enter Total Ancestry Reported in the left search bar and enter the town or municipality you want info for in the right search bar

Old 05-14-2019, 09:46 AM

1 posts, read 380 times
I grew up in the Aldenville neighborhood of Chicopee in the 1980's. It wasn't uncommon to hear French still spoken back then. My mothers first language was French but she didn't speak it after going to Catholic school besides a few words and phrases she remembered and taught us. My fathers side of the family didn't speak French at home although his father grew up speaking French. Everyone in Aldenville was "French Canadian", and called their grandparents meme and pepe, or maybe nana and pepe. Yes, we know that's the incorrect spelling. We grew up eating all of the old Quebecoise foods but they were mostly in English. You can still get some traditional Quebec food (mostly a classic like tourtiere) in a few of the the local diners. One thing that was unique about us was the fact that we never had any big parades or celebrations whereas other ethnic immigrant groups in the area, Irish, Polish, Italian, Puerto Ricans, and others, had annual bombastic celebrations. I always liked that we didn't have to beat our chests in public like that.
This petit canada was centered on the Ste Rose de Lima church (which still flies the fleur-de-lis) and the Sainte Jeanne d'Arc Catholic school across the street. A lot of the streets are named after the original French Canadian families that first built up the community and that includes the surrounding Willimansett and Chicopee Falls neighborhoods. Both my pepe's built their own houses.
There was a fair number of Quebeckers in Chicopee back then as well and I went to a number of weddings and family picnic reunions with those people and their funny accents.
Nowadays there are still a lot of families, streets, and businesses (try google maps) with Quebec and Acadian surnames in Aldenville but a lot of people have moved into surrounding cities and towns. There's a small Franco-American Institute there now as well, I believe. The whole Holyoke-Chicopee-Springfield old milltown metropolitan area is pretty economically depressed. A lot of crime, drug addiction, and suicide. I left the area almost 20 years ago.
As far as French language goes, the last census I checked, Aldenville was at 15%. Pretty sad.

Old 05-15-2019, 10:54 AM

7,113 posts, read 2,823,673 times
Many of the old mill towns and cities across New England had large concentrations of French-Canadians. Pawtucket and the border town Central Falls in RI were such places. Even as recently as the 2000 census, over 20% of Pawtucket's 70k residents had French or French Canadian ancestry. Until recently, the city had three primarily French Catholic Churches/parishes - St Jean the Baptist, our Lady of Consolation, and St Cecelia's.

Old 05-15-2019, 10:54 AM

10,062 posts, read 10,650,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
Many of the old mill towns and cities across New England had large concentrations of French-Canadians. Pawtucket and the border town Central Falls in RI were such places. Even as recently as the 2000 census, over 20% of Pawtucket's 70k residents had French or French Canadian ancestry. Until recently, the city had three primarily French Catholic Churches/parishes - St Jean the Baptist, our Lady of Consolation, and St Cecelia's.
How many parishes does Pawtucket have now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts