Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 12:46 PM

227 posts, read 1,103,637 times

Advertisements

Just wondering how it compares to Greenwich and where would people rather live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2018, 12:55 PM

5,014 posts, read 3,908,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callofdutyplayer View Post
https://patch.com/massachusetts/west...chest-zip-code

Looks like Weston is more affluent, yes.

Extremely different places, however, as Greenwich is a large coastal town and Weston is a sleepy MetroWest community. Greenwich has far more socioeconomic diversity (as funny as that seems), including many apartment and condo buildings. I wouldn't want to sacrifice on my proximity and access to Boston, but if all were relative, Greenwich is far more interesting to me. Nice downtown, harbor, seemingly more community-centric. Weston is large estates with gates on windy roads. Very little other than that.

Old 10-02-2018, 02:02 PM

12,361 posts, read 9,462,379 times
It's not a practical concern for me, as I don't have mega-income... but to the extent that I have glimpsed what life may be like in some rarefied towns I have visited anyway, it didn't look appealing, even if I had the dough... little to no commercial development or open-access public spaces, presumably to keep the unwashed masses from having a reason to enter, restrictive architectural regulations (like the CT town where every house was painted white, by code), and of course, some snooty proper residents.

Old 10-02-2018, 02:21 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,833,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
It's not a practical concern for me, as I don't have mega-income... but to the extent that I have glimpsed what life may be like in some rarefied towns I have visited anyway, it didn't look appealing, even if I had the dough... little to no commercial development or open-access public spaces, presumably to keep the unwashed masses from having a reason to enter, restrictive architectural regulations (like the CT town where every house was painted white, by code), and of course, some snooty proper residents.
Outdoor, are you referring to Greenwich or Weston? Pretty sure Greenwich has a walkable business district. It has a public beach on L. I. Sound that acquired limited fame though a series of court challenges that ended with a Connecticut Supreme court decision for the plaintiff: the town cannot keep people from other towns (plaintiff from Stamford) from entering the park/beach because the 1st Amendment prohibits abridgment of freedom of people to enter and assemble in a public space. Leydon v. Town of Greenwich. With so many resident-only beaches in New England towns I thought that was an interesting and democratic development. Greenwich can still keep you from parking your car in the lot without a town sticker but it can't keep you from entering on foot. There's also the Mianus River Gorge, a scenic natural area anyone can visit. Weston doesn't have much of a business district but it has many acres of town forest containing miles of walking/biking trails; it also has the Lands Sake town farm that engages residents (and anyone interested) in the soil, seasons and natural processes. Still, both towns are all about status and privilege and unappealing to me for that reason.

Old 10-02-2018, 03:08 PM

6,457 posts, read 7,788,010 times
I don't care.

Old 10-02-2018, 03:16 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,650,295 times
Still, both towns are all about status and privilege and unappealing to me for that reason.

Same here. And sometimes it seems that much of this forum is obsessed with money and social class. If someone is rich enough and wants to live in towns like that, they are welcome to it. Me? I've put up with enough name dropping and one-up-man-ship to not be attracted to places like that. There are plenty of nice towns with more down to earth values and less phoniness.

I'm sure both of those towns have some down to earth people (a token few at least) but the desirability of living in a town because of its "prestige" seems odd to me. Maybe it's for those who are very competitive by nature and love playing the game. "Keeping up the the Joneses."

Old 10-02-2018, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
Outdoor, are you referring to Greenwich or Weston?
Hi "to the extent that I have glimpsed what life may be like in some rarefied towns I have visited" - not Greenwich or Weston, and sorry, but I don't want to name the towns I was actually referring to - I just don't have the motivation to bicker about it with someone who might be from there. *lol*

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 10-02-2018 at 03:37 PM..

Old 10-02-2018, 03:35 PM

Yep, I think there's a "happy middle" for this middle class guy - I want to live in a town where I don't need to worry about getting shot if I am walking the dog at midnight, but also one where everyone can feel welcome...

Old 10-02-2018, 04:00 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,917,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callofdutyplayer View Post
Greenwich is a lot bigger (62k vs. 12k), so Greenwich has more total wealth. Weston has a higher average ($105k vs 92k) and a higher household median ($154k vs. $125k). Greenwich has a much bigger distribution, with 5 hedge fund billionaires and some reasonably modest housing in town (Forbes: 7 Connecticut Billionaires On List Of Top 400 Wealthiest - Hartford Courant).

I'd rather live in Weston, because it's closer to where I work ;-) Also, I don't think I'd like living in the NYC metro. If someone offered to swap me into a similar house as I have now but in Weston, I don't think I'd turn down the upgrade, but for me it would be worth the significant premium.

Old 10-02-2018, 05:26 PM

10,006 posts, read 15,643,440 times
Is Weston all that snobby? I know it as a quiet, rural town. Convenient to the turnpike for commuting. I think maybe you are all thinking it's like Chestnut Hill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts