Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 06:02 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,230,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Yup.

My money was, is, and will continue to be on Billerica. Outside of the train and it’s access to 3, 95, and (sort of) access to 93, it’s a much larger town, more amenities, new high school, and an abundance of jobs in bordering towns. And the train gets you to North Station in 30ish minutes.

Through the ups and downs, Maynard has remained consistent. It’s more like Ayer, while Billerica is more like Woburn. The latter pairing is experiencing real growth and transformation, not just marginal growth in its core.
Yah I think the general rule of thumb regarding which towns appreciate more is to follow where the well paying jobs are. Arlington is a good example, it used to be a working class town and honestly is nothing special. But proximity to jobs has made it one of the most expensive towns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2018, 06:07 PM

649 posts, read 815,839 times
Maynard is such a tough place to categorize. It has a decent downtown, especially for the metrowest, and it was “discovered” by Cantabridgians in exile from high prices in the 1990s so there is a decent art scene There is this weird mix of western mass style rural white poverty and Cambridge high falutin’. The poverty has not been rousted by the influx so it is “done over queen anne” next to “cars on blocks tarp for roof.” I think of it as a tiny Springfield.

I would still pick it over Billerica as I prefer the low density, but I would say most people are better served by Billerica.

Old 10-10-2018, 07:03 PM

6,121 posts, read 5,084,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Again, Woburn is the beneficiary of people being priced out of surrounding towns that now included Burlington. It has the location, commuter rail and bus lines, a somewhat hip downtown, and shopping galore. When developments with names like Trouvaille described as "homes that bring the farm to table" and "living farmhouse modern" are coming on line, you know the town will soon be out of reach.
Having invested here, not far from where Trouvaille is coming up, I hope prices appreciate!

But I do agree...there are areas particularly east and south of the center, that are rundown. The center itself is safe and has some excellent dining, but has a decidedly downmarket feeling to it.

Old 10-11-2018, 05:44 AM

1,025 posts, read 1,528,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalamanderSmile View Post
Maynard is such a tough place to categorize. It has a decent downtown, especially for the metrowest, and it was “discovered” by Cantabridgians in exile from high prices in the 1990s so there is a decent art scene There is this weird mix of western mass style rural white poverty and Cambridge high falutin’. The poverty has not been rousted by the influx so it is “done over queen anne” next to “cars on blocks tarp for roof.” I think of it as a tiny Springfield.

I would still pick it over Billerica as I prefer the low density, but I would say most people are better served by Billerica.
Maynard has more a flavor of a Winchendon, Webster, or Athol than a miniature Springfield. So Central Mass rural poverty would be more fitting. Springfield suggests diversity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk330 View Post
Been in Ayer for a year and like it so far.
Good bars and restaurants, the rail trail, commuter rail, Devens redevelopment, Netflix filming, quick to 2 and 495...
Seems like things are pretty happening here, maybe one day we will even get a stoplight!
Yeah I’m a fan of Union Coffee. The town is on the upswing. Much of the town’s feel is tired to me. Not every neighborhood. When will the tear-down/rebuild types show up and do their job?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingNewEngland View Post
Wow I didn't think people from Billerica went out to Fitchburg to live, even the poor ones. It started off as the slummerville movement though, then they went to Billerica, now they're going to Fitchburg.. interesting. Not New Hampshire anywhere probably because a lot of that got more expensive or low availability. Fitchburg has a lot of storefront vacancies downtown, I was there not long ago so will the Billerica element moving in fix it, or live in the rough parts and live just like how they always have month to month? Personally I would much prefer Fitchburg to Lawrence though. It has a nicer area around it at least.

I am from Billerica but I have contemplated Fitchburg area for damn sure but wanna know something, I thought Billerica also took forever to improve and still is. They will have that drinking crowd for awhile still.

BTW you know who George Simolaris is? How do you classify him? I say old money with a working class embodiment especially if he can live in Billerica center.

And about Milford, my moms friend is in Milford and ya that definitely stopped being grungy. So if that did, maybe Billerica is on the way too. Milford I see as a nice town now, when many once did not. It might hit Chelmsford levels soon anyhow.
Not sure that Billericans specifically would move as far out as Fitchburg, but as the socioeconomic bleaching marches through who knows. Fitchburg/Leominster is about the only barely commutable, affordable place left for the professional “under”classes stuck with 90s salaries in 2018. I know lots of people unwillingly pushed out that far. Common story in those parts. Area will slowly improve because of it (already has, if only a little).

Old 10-11-2018, 06:20 AM

23,554 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalamanderSmile View Post
I think of it as a tiny Springfield.
Maynard is not a tiny Springfield! Sometimes this forum just kills me...

Old 10-11-2018, 06:27 AM

513 posts, read 646,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Having invested here, not far from where Trouvaille is coming up, I hope prices appreciate!

But I do agree...there are areas particularly east and south of the center, that are rundown. The center itself is safe and has some excellent dining, but has a decidedly downmarket feeling to it.
Is that really the name of the development?!

I think Woburn was overlooked for a while because it is bisected by 93, 128, and 3, which makes it seem less cohesive. However, access to all of those routes gives Woburn a huge advantage, as it is so convenient to everything. I like the variety that the town offers.

The Aberjona and other superfund sites didn't help either and Woburn certainly saw more of that impact than Winchester, which was also affected. I have been to the soccer field in Winchester near the Woburn line that is built near the river and I don't know that I would want my kids playing there regularly.

Old 10-11-2018, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCMA View Post
Yeah I’m a fan of Union Coffee. The town is on the upswing. Much of the town’s feel is tired to me. Not every neighborhood. When will the tear-down/rebuild types show up and do their job?
I appreciate it for its (now unique to the area) throwback feel, kind of stuck in a time warp as it sees no need to join the rat race that has engulfed 95% of Eastern Mass. It really does feel like it belongs in Northern NE somewhere, particularly in Central Maine IMO.

Old 10-11-2018, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alidmc View Post
The Aberjona and other superfund sites didn't help either and Woburn certainly saw more of that impact than Winchester, which was also affected. I have been to the soccer field in Winchester near the Woburn line that is built near the river and I don't know that I would want my kids playing there regularly.
I had a coworker who grew up swimming in that pond right there when all this was going on! Going on 60 years old, so far so good...

Old 10-11-2018, 07:10 AM

9,873 posts, read 7,197,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alidmc View Post
Is that really the name of the development?!

I think Woburn was overlooked for a while because it is bisected by 93, 128, and 3, which makes it seem less cohesive. However, access to all of those routes gives Woburn a huge advantage, as it is so convenient to everything. I like the variety that the town offers.

Yes, that's the name - Click HERE

IMHO, the Superfund sites did affect Woburn in the 80's and 90's. But I think the stigma is gone. Their water is from MWRA, some of the affected areas have been redeveloped (Target, Anderson Station, Red Robin, et al), and the new buyers were tikes when "A Civil Action" was a thing. In fact, per wiki, there are 38 Superfund sites in MA including Wilmington, Natick, Bedford, Weymouth, and Sudbury.

Old 10-15-2018, 10:27 AM

22 posts, read 15,856 times
Rt. 128: Waltham, Natick,
Rt. 495: Hudson, Marlborough, Chelmsford
In between: Stow, Maynard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts