Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 07:57 AM

49 posts, read 38,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Yep. Providence metro area. I grew up with Salty Brine. TV was channels 6, 10, and 12. You needed a good antenna to watch Boston cartoons on UHF. Local news was Providence, not Boston. Top-40's on WPRO. Stuffed quahogs. Coffee milk. Clear broth chowder was harder to find.
Agree 100%. I grew up and still watch today NBC 10 exclusively for local news, and never watch local Boston news. It's connection to Rhode Island and the providence area is much stronger.

Traffic on 95/93 doesn't help with getting into the area. Went to school around Boston. Nowadays only reason I make my way up there is for Logan. Nice city though, nothing against, just a long drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2018, 08:27 AM

17,708 posts, read 9,175,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Never been to battleship cove. Ever. Never been there. Never said I been there. Never have hinted at going there.
Stop your lying. Just stop lying.
My mistake. I thought it was you. It was Hollytree and she was responding to you.

//www.city-data.com/forum/massa...l#post53174297

That said, my point remains the same -- that you are not very familiar with the area.

Old 10-18-2018, 08:33 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,948,491 times
Neither are you, nor any area you speak about. Which is clear to all of us. Googling things doesn't tell you crap.

Back on ignore you go. There really needs to be age verification on this site.

Old 10-18-2018, 10:05 AM

26 posts, read 63,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
The South Coast is more an extension of RI.
That’s very funny! We’re new to the area, our naive impression was the other way around, that the tiny speck of RI was basically just another county of MA.

Old 10-18-2018, 10:58 AM

24,558 posts, read 18,244,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogMan View Post
That’s very funny! We’re new to the area, our naive impression was the other way around, that the tiny speck of RI was basically just another county of MA.

I guess with cable and the internet, it's not the same. When I grew up, TV was the three Providence channels. WTEV 6 was New Bedford-Providence with Truman Taylor reading the Providence news every night with a bit of New Bedford and Fall River thrown in occasionally. 10 and 12 are Providence stations.

In the morning, you listened to one of the two New Bedford AM stations for news. At night, you watched the Providence TV news followed by the national feed.

Sports covered the Boston pro teams and Providence College. I know who Dave Gavitt, Ernie D, and Marvin Barnes are. You couldn't avoid Providence politics. Buddy Cianci was in the news daily.

What else. Ruby Vine and Choo Choo on the Railroad Salvage advertisements. Narragansett Beer. Autocrat coffee. These strange places like Foster & Gloster that always got a lot of snow.

Now with cable and the internet, you can ignore Providence. In the 1960's and 1970's, you couldn't.

In Tiverton and Little Compton, you're driving through Fall River for anything so that's very Massachusetts-centric compared to the rest of Rhode Island. Unless you're in Adamsville where you shop at Lee's Market in Westport, you're probably driving to the Market Basket in Fall River to grocery shop. Tiverton is a suburb of Fall River. My mom lived in Tiverton for ~10 years in Seapowet Cove on the Sakonnett.

Old 10-18-2018, 11:11 AM

23,542 posts, read 18,687,760 times
Quote:

It once was, Tiverton anyway.

6 Places That Used To Be Part of a Different State - New England Historical Society

Also not mentioned here, but Bristol County, RI was once part of Bristol County, MA. Rumford, RI was once the actual "center" of Seekonk, MA before it was split into the city of East Providence after becoming part of RI.

Old 10-18-2018, 01:13 PM

49 posts, read 38,573 times
Quote:
Geographically it makes no sense (to me atleast) why Tiverton and Little Compton are part of Rhode Island.

Also welcome! Everything you want you can find around the area....except for mountains, need to head up to New Hampshire or Vermont for those Blue hills isn't far away however, and can be a smaller fun option for hiking/winter sports. Great views of Boston as well.

Old 10-18-2018, 01:30 PM

24,558 posts, read 18,244,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmCoastLocal View Post
Also welcome! Everything you want you can find around the area....except for mountains.

Don't overlook Rhode Island's mighty Jerimoth Hill. 812 feet.

If I'm training for a mountain hike and need to hike some vertical, I drive to Wachusett. It's 1000 feet of vertical so up the front ski trails and down the back is 2,000 up/2,000 down.

Old 10-21-2018, 06:17 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,656,080 times
Quote:
Don't overlook Rhode Island's mighty Jerimoth Hill. 812 feet.

If I'm training for a mountain hike and need to hike some vertical, I drive to Wachusett. It's 1000 feet of vertical so up the front ski trails and down the back is 2,000 up/2,000 down.
Try a real hike up a real Mountain.

https://www.mass.gov/locations/mount...te-reservation

...to me the best part of the state is the Berkshires .Great scenery, great towns and great people.

Old 10-21-2018, 07:30 AM

251 posts, read 203,641 times
Quote:
Cranberry Bogs and West Portugal?

That map is awesome and pretty true!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts