Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 01:17 PM

23,568 posts, read 18,661,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Huh, my friends who live in Pawtucket adore it, but hey, my friends who live in South Providence like it too and all I see is crap talked about it on here.
Then move there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2018, 01:19 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Then move there.

Not until I build more equity, and they are a bit more of a homebody than me, but if I could do it over I would have picked another part of Providence.

A lady friend pays, with a friend of hers, $850 total for a two bedroom (rental) in South Providence near Roger Williams Park and absolutely adores her neighborhood. I probably would have been able to buy a lot more their for the money.

The Pawtucket neighborhoods I've visited people in a perfectly fine, clean, suburban streets. I run through some more urban run down parts, but like most places, they're a mix.

Old 12-05-2018, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Not until I build more equity, and they are a bit more of a homebody than me, but if I could do it over I would have picked another part of Providence.

A lady friend pays, with a friend of hers, $850 total for a two bedroom (rental) in South Providence near Roger Williams Park and absolutely adores her neighborhood. I probably would have been able to buy a lot more their for the money.

You know there is a good reason it is cheap, right?

Quote:
The Pawtucket neighborhoods I've visited people in a perfectly fine, clean, suburban streets. I run through some more urban run down parts, but like most places, they're a mix.

If you stay east of Newport Ave. you are OK. However, the city's reputation is well earned.

Old 12-05-2018, 02:59 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Much of "Darlington" has gone to the dogs. Some areas well west of Newport Av., such a 'western' Benefit St. and 'western" Central Av. are hanging in there. Won't be long until Countryside areas have a steep drop in attractions.

If someone works in Pawtucket or East Providence, and wants to be close in, then they could also find some patches of neighborhoods in East Providence to live in and feel safer. I would not want to come home in the dark after work alone in many areas in RI.

A 2 BR apt. in the Elmwood area of Providence for $850/mo. must be a real sweetie.

Old 12-05-2018, 04:32 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
You know there is a good reason it is cheap, right?

Yes, the housing stock is a bit run down (though it seems money is pouring into her neighborhood) and there are lots of POC so lots of people won't rent or buy there suppressing demand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
A 2 BR apt. in the Elmwood area of Providence for $850/mo. must be a real sweetie.

I don't know the neighborhood name, just that its a couple of blocks from the park. I've been to dinner there several times, seems totally fine. Not walkable to enough things for my taste but, but her roommate has been in that neighborhood years, and her a couple, and both like it a lot. She is not one for nightlife though, so the non walkability isn't a big thing, she is a teacher and pretty sedate. No issues at all.

Old 12-06-2018, 09:18 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,135,852 times
Quote:
Huh, my friends who live in Pawtucket adore it, but hey, my friends who live in South Providence like it too and all I see is crap talked about it on here.
I was one one of these people ... when I was 24. Now I enjoy not having dirt bag neighbors who have the cops showing up at 3am for a DV call. I have a handful of friends in North and Pawtucket and while, crashing there after a Met show is convenient, if I lived there I suspect I'd be on antidepressants in short order ... what a dismal environment.

Old 12-06-2018, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
I was one one of these people ... when I was 24. Now I enjoy not having dirt bag neighbors who have the cops showing up at 3am for a DV call. I have a handful of friends in North and Pawtucket and while, crashing there after a Met show is convenient, if I lived there I suspect I'd be on antidepressants in short order ... what a dismal environment.
This.

Between that and having your vehicle side swept by unlicensed drivers, regularly being stuck behind people at S&S who go over their EBT limit, to needles and dirty diapers in the parking lot...think I'm all set.

Old 12-06-2018, 10:26 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
Um ... Holden, Shrewsbury, Boylston, Paxton, Grafton?

All of these towns have good to excellent school systems and, with the exception of Paxton, access to the eastern MA job market. What are comparable school systems in greater Prov? Barrington is great but the COL is obscene.

I'd quibble about Barrington COL. The median price per square foot in Barrington is $271 and it's a lot lower in the less prestigious neighborhoods in the north part of town. Shrewsbury is $247. Property taxes are higher in Barrington but it's not "obscene".

The metro Providence economy remains in the dumpster so it hasn't seen the housing price spike of the Worcester 'burbs closest to all the 495 jobs. Barrington is a bit too far to consider PVD commuter rail to Back Bay Station or South Station jobs. A 20 minute bus ride to the train station that's not completely deterministic. It's not like College Hill where you can walk.

Old 12-06-2018, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
The metro Providence economy remains in the dumpster so it hasn't seen the housing price spike of the Worcester 'burbs closest to all the 495 jobs. Barrington is a bit too far to consider PVD commuter rail to Back Bay Station or South Station jobs. A 20 minute bus ride to the train station that's not completely deterministic. It's not like College Hill where you can walk.
I did work with a guy who commuted from Barrington to Framingham. But no, it's generally not considered a feasible commute. I would probably blow my head off.

Old 12-06-2018, 12:39 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:
Yes, the housing stock is a bit run down (though it seems money is pouring into her neighborhood) and there are lots of POC so lots of people won't rent or buy there suppressing demand.

I don't know the neighborhood name, just that its a couple of blocks from the park. I've been to dinner there several times, seems totally fine. Not walkable to enough things for my taste but, but her roommate has been in that neighborhood years, and her a couple, and both like it a lot. She is not one for nightlife though, so the non walkability isn't a big thing, she is a teacher and pretty sedate. No issues at all.

Slater Park has a few entrances/exits. Back 'in the day' those neighborhoods were fine; mainly about 15 years ago, and several places in the late 90's took a real slide. I can't imagine anywhere for $850/mo. that could be any good honestly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts