Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2018, 08:40 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,232,941 times

Advertisements

Although the commuter rail is really only good for the 9-5 commuters who work in Downtown/Back Bay/seaport/Kendall offices. It's not good for your average school (unless you're talking higher education), or the average car dealership.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2018, 09:03 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,004 times
If you want a huge change, you should pick NYC. Boston is a small city compared to New York. New York is just a lot bigger than Boston, so you probably won’t be nearly as close there as you’ll be able to be here.

If you are OK with a big change, Brookline might work. It will be a big change, though. You probably won’t have a SFH. Where in Boston is the job? Once you add in commuter rail there are more options for SFHs in your budget, but now you’re back in the suburbs. Having lived in both a Texas suburb (not Austin), it’s still a big change, but maybe not big enough. I’d recommend a visit if possible.

Old 11-05-2018, 01:41 AM

17,716 posts, read 9,187,561 times
OP, with 4 young kids, you need to consider schools. Brookline has good schools.

There are 3 bedroom apartments available for 3k:

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_ren...97_rect/13_zm/

Most will be 1200 to 1400 sqft with 1 bath.

Here's an 1800 sqft with 2 baths for $2900, and it includes heat (which is a pretty big expense during the winter):

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_ren...29_rect/12_zm/

"Residential street off Harvard St. -- 2-minute walk to Coolidge Corner shops (Trader Joe's, CVS, Booksmith, fitness clubs, banks, Peets, Starbucks, etc.). 66 bus stops in front of building - direct to Harvard Square and Longwood Medical Area. Easy access to B and C Green lines - direct to Fenway, Copley Square, Downtown."

Google street view: https://www.google.com/maps/place/50...!4d-71.1245433

Old 11-05-2018, 05:07 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,723,943 times
I don't know if you can go up to $3750, but I was surprised to see this listing today:

https://www.apartments.com/65-fuller...pxDIQmEkuWfpso

Old 11-05-2018, 05:24 PM

27 posts, read 45,118 times
You guys are awesome! Thank you!

Jayrandom: The job is on Chauncy St. which appears to be the central part of the downtown area?

We are open to a townhome/condo or apartment- as long as there's some sort of park nearby.

redplum33- Thank you so much! I will check those out. Heat included? That's amazing.

chicagoliz: That's a huge home! I will check it out.

Old 11-06-2018, 02:42 PM

6,459 posts, read 7,795,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCHutch View Post
You guys are awesome! Thank you!

Jayrandom: The job is on Chauncy St. which appears to be the central part of the downtown area?

We are open to a townhome/condo or apartment- as long as there's some sort of park nearby.

redplum33- Thank you so much! I will check those out. Heat included? That's amazing.

chicagoliz: That's a huge home! I will check it out.
That 2900 place that RedPlum posted - if that is for real, jump on that like now. Great tree lined street (house where JFK was born and lived for awhile is on that street), nice homes, around the corner from Devotion School, in the middle of it all, easy walk to the green line. Come to Butthead.

We found a bit of a rundown rental in a brownstone when we first moved here that was a good deal in rent. Have no idea why. When we bought a place, we still have a few months on the lease so put it on Craigslist to sublease at a couple hundred more than what we were paying. People were knocking down our door and offering more in rent - it was a rental bidding war. I wonder if that is what the 2900 place is about. I mean 2900 is far from cheap but I would expect a place like that to be closer to the mid 3k mark, even without parking. Seems to good to be true.

Old 11-06-2018, 03:25 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,332,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
OP, with 4 young kids, you need to consider schools. Brookline has good schools.

There are 3 bedroom apartments available for 3k:

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_ren...97_rect/13_zm/

Most will be 1200 to 1400 sqft with 1 bath.

Here's an 1800 sqft with 2 baths for $2900, and it includes heat (which is a pretty big expense during the winter):

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_ren...29_rect/12_zm/

"Residential street off Harvard St. -- 2-minute walk to Coolidge Corner shops (Trader Joe's, CVS, Booksmith, fitness clubs, banks, Peets, Starbucks, etc.). 66 bus stops in front of building - direct to Harvard Square and Longwood Medical Area. Easy access to B and C Green lines - direct to Fenway, Copley Square, Downtown."

Google street view: https://www.google.com/maps/place/50...!4d-71.1245433
Cambridge and Somerville both have several schools that are at least on par with Brookline, consider both of them too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts