Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 08:24 AM

12,825 posts, read 21,993,461 times

Advertisements

Lowe's closed a bunch of stores a decade or so ago. They seem to go through this boom/bust cycle. Honestly, I think they're a little more bomb-proof than other brick/mortars, even if they have to reign it in a bit every so often. They make a fortune off of contractors, and they get a ton of "need it now!" business from the DIY and home improvement crowd (if they're like me, it's multiple trips a day because I'm terrible at balancing too much or too little). Most of this can't be replaced with the Amazon model. So they're probably fine for the long haul.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2018, 08:53 AM

12,368 posts, read 9,473,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Lowe's closed a bunch of stores a decade or so ago. They seem to go through this boom/bust cycle. Honestly, I think they're a little more bomb-proof than other brick/mortars, even if they have to reign it in a bit every so often. They make a fortune off of contractors, and they get a ton of "need it now!" business from the DIY and home improvement crowd (if they're like me, it's multiple trips a day because I'm terrible at balancing too much or too little). Most of this can't be replaced with the Amazon model. So they're probably fine for the long haul.
I agree that Amazon is not a threat (for once). They don't want to offer free 2-day shipping on topsoil and asphalt shingles, and even if they did, customers don't want to delay progress for 2 days when they can get what they need within an hour at the local home center, garden center, lumberyard, plumbing supply house, etc. From what I read, Home Depot is the bigger problem for Lowes at the moment.

Old 11-09-2018, 09:22 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:

Yeah, when I have time to do a project on the weekend, its often multiple trips. And I have the time THAT day.

For some stuff, like the bathtub refinishing kit, I can wait and do it another day. But other stuff, nope, Lowe's to Home Depot, not enough, Home Depot again...

Old 11-09-2018, 09:23 AM

3,207 posts, read 2,114,518 times
Also the allure to those stores is that people like to go in and touch things and figure if it will work for the specific job. And the build quality as well. there are just certain things I refuse to buy online. Clothes, produce, tools.

Old 11-10-2018, 11:19 AM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
Also the allure to those stores is that people like to go in and touch things and figure if it will work for the specific job. And the build quality as well. there are just certain things I refuse to buy online. Clothes, produce, tools.
Clothes? If it is my size then I'm good. Tools, no hesitation what so ever!

One of the biggest hassles for brick and mortar stores is theft. Go to craigslist and type in dewalt or kobalt/ryobi and watch how many ads pop up as new in box stuff for 1/2 price. All of that stuff is stolen right off the shelves then sold online.

So huge store (huge rent), huge payroll/utilities then deduct all the stolen merchandise from the profits and then you have to wonder how much they really make.

Amazon doesn't have the public stealing right off the shelves every day.

Old 11-12-2018, 08:20 AM

3,207 posts, read 2,114,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Clothes? If it is my size then I'm good. Tools, no hesitation what so ever!

One of the biggest hassles for brick and mortar stores is theft. Go to craigslist and type in dewalt or kobalt/ryobi and watch how many ads pop up as new in box stuff for 1/2 price. All of that stuff is stolen right off the shelves then sold online.

So huge store (huge rent), huge payroll/utilities then deduct all the stolen merchandise from the profits and then you have to wonder how much they really make.

Amazon doesn't have the public stealing right off the shelves every day.
Yeah clothes. All to often the flimsy materials or workmanship doesn't show in pictures on a model. I buy more expensive clothes and keep them longer than 4 multiples from Old Navy. I have shirts that are 10 years old etc..

Old 11-12-2018, 06:20 PM

17,671 posts, read 9,155,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
I won't boycott despite their shady antics I'd like to keep a local place around for the next generation.
I hear ya, bostonguy. I just ordered 2 X-Large pizzas at 50% off (code: 6836).

Old 11-14-2018, 12:00 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,638,276 times
Quote:
I've always felt awful for the people who show up at work only to find out they don't have a job. I can't imagine that. And for a company that's fighting for its life, it's not good practice. Though that leads to speculation that they're not actually trying to save anything. They're just trying to minimize debts and losses before selling assets and bailing. Either way, it's unfair to the people who aren't making a ton of money to begin with and don't even have the option of trying to get a job somewhere else before being cut off.

I honestly haven't set foot in a Papa Gino's or D'angelos in some time, but I didn't hate either of them. I'm guessing they're victims of increased competition and changing consumer patterns. Neither store has changed since I was a kid.
Aren't delivery people paid by tips only like waiters and waitresses? Not even entitled to any unemployment benefits.

Old 11-14-2018, 12:04 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Aren't delivery people paid by tips only like waiters and waitresses? Not even entitled to any unemployment benefits.

No.

Old 11-14-2018, 06:20 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,230,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Tipped employees can get unemployment benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts