Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2008, 01:54 AM

17 posts, read 35,934 times

Advertisements

Greetings, and thanks in advance for your help

We are looking at relocating to a job in the Hudson/Marlbourough area. We have two kids 10 and 6, so looking for solid school districts in the area. Not hung up on inside vs outside 495, given an even choice we'd prefer a smaller town

We've looked at Acton and Holden.... anything folks could share positive or negative, or other towns like these in the area? Willing to do a 30-45 minute commute one way

Thanks

Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2008, 06:44 AM

967 posts, read 4,784,748 times
You have lots of good options nearby. If you can you share a bit more about what you're looking for in your new hometown in terms of character, amenities, size of home, price range I'm sure others can chime in. In terms of nearby small town, I am partial to Berlin, which is very small and quiet compared to many of the surrounding burbs. I have family with boys in the school system and they've been quite pleased with it, although it's not of the caliber of nearby towns like Sudbury, which has an excellent school system.

Old 04-05-2008, 02:05 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,825,930 times
Voters in Lincoln and Sudbury just voted down a property-tax-limit override to fund some school programs - it's been all over the papers the past couple of days. I think the amount of publicity stems from their high school's being one of the best-regarded in the area. Both towns are also decidedly on the affluent side. Families should not have to pay extra fees in order for their kids to cheerlead or go on art-class field trips (or study art at all) or play hockey or what have you. But that's the way things are going in many a Massachusetts school system nowadays.

Acton, or Boxborough (they also share a highly-rated regional high school), are your other best bet where educational offerings are concerned. But academic life throughout the MetroWest region is no worse than OK wherever you go. Some other towns which should merit real-estate "feelers" are Hopkinton, Northborough, Stow, Shrewsbury, and Bolton.

Old 04-05-2008, 02:49 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,369,579 times
I don't Acton is that short a commute, but if it is, it's a great town. In the other direction, I think Shrewsbury is very well regarded.
Something in the back of my mind is speaking against Holden as a desirable place to live, but I could be mistaken. A co-worker was house-hunting, and I think she spoke against it, but don't quote me.
What's wrong with Westboro itself? Short commute. Lots of new houses, I think.
Do consider Littleton, which is between 495 and Acton. A straight shot down the interstate to your job, a very nice smallish town feel, and I do think the schools are pretty good. It's a very family-oriented community, great conservation land, a couple of nice lakes, and very unpretentious.

Old 04-06-2008, 11:23 PM

32 posts, read 125,800 times
I live in Acton... what do you want to know? I commuted from South Acton to Marlborough (exit 23C off 495) for over two years. Took 25-35 minutes depending on 495 traffic... it can get pretty backed up right around 290, but it opens up again when you hit the rt 20 exits. Not a bad commute at all.

As others have mentioned, the Acton-Boxborough school district is great. I graduated from the AB school district and have two younger siblings still attending ABRHS. The students consistently perform well on MCAS and are well-prepared for college by graduation. There are also strong music and athletic programs.

I would also suggest Stow as a possible place to live. It's a bit further south than Acton, and you can just take 117 to 495. The commute would be cut down to 15-25 minutes depending where exactly you're headed in Marlborough. Small town, nice people, good schools.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:03 AM

15 posts, read 105,421 times
Acton has a great reputation for their schools. Holden is up and coming a bit out there, don't really know much about it. You might want to try out Bolton, it is a perfect commute for someone working in Marlboro/Hudson area. Bolton has great schools, it's a small town, everyone seems to be very nice around that area. Stow is a nice town too with good schools as is Northborough/Southborough/Westborough, Hopkinton, Sudbury..there are many choices. Check out greatschools.com and other web-sites to get some info.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:34 AM

15 posts, read 105,421 times
US News and World Report Best High Schools and High School Rankings – US News Best High Schools
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts