Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2018, 11:03 AM
r_p

225 posts, read 216,950 times

Advertisements

You cannot go wrong with Natick. It is surrounded by some very desirable towns such as Weston, Wellesley Wayland, Sherborn and Dover.

Although, if you're willing to spend ~1 million then look at Wellesley (in my opinion, the best town around Boston).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2018, 11:08 AM

4,998 posts, read 3,847,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by panchilly View Post
Using the same locations with depart time of NOW (saturday 11/24/2018 at 11:41AM no traffic)

To: Vistaprint, 275 Wyman St, Waltham, MA 02451

18 min 14.3 miles

To: Vistaprint, 275 Wyman St, Waltham, MA 02451

16 min 9.7 miles

You are wrong again on that one.

The only job hub that Reading is closer to is Burlington/Woburn. Natick is equivalent for Bedford/Lexington. And Natick is better to Waltham and anything south of that. Natick is also better to Watertown and to Allston/Brighton. There are huge new developments there.

Natick is quicker to south station via the commuter rail. There are jobs around Copley, Yawkee, Boston landing which are <35min by train from Natick center.

As you said, Natick is within range of the 495 jobs and the Natick/Framingham jobs all of which Reading is pretty far from.

South of 90 is an opportunity area in my opinion. There is an emerging area around Tripadvisor in Needham where they are building many new luxury apartments, new offices, etc. The new Umass mt ida campus will be there, etc. That might continue to develop or it might not.. never know. If it does develop then Natick will benefit from it majorly. There are also some new developments proposed for Auburndale area of Newton. There are actually some decent companies located in the Walpole/Norwood area. Analog devices, Siemens, etc.

I agree south of 90 isn't as bustling as north of 90, but it may fill in over time.

As i said originally, Natick gives you access to pretty much every job hub in the state right now. Reading does not.
I said google it generically from each town to Waltham, not pick a location as you so desire. Even in your example, we are talking two minutes. So the one hub Natick is closer to, its closer by 2 minutes? Hardly the neutral advantage we started out with.. As for Reading “only being closer to Burlington/Woburn”, did you somehow forget Cambridge? And Somerville? And all of that mass development on the Mystic?

It’s clear to me now that you are simply using this as a platform to advocate for Natick. But do it without false narrative at least. My suggestion is to look up school performance, look up median income, look up education attainment levels, and prior/current real estate trends and come up with your own calculation of what is deemed desirable. The aggregate desirability will be what will drive a town/make it as close to recession proof as possible. Natick has done well in the shadow of Newton, Wellesley, Needham. If I want to live along Rt 9, and can’t afford those towns, then I’ll look to Natick. It’s the beneficiary of that exact circumstance, which is a good thing as its bones and characteristics are clearly deemed more desirable than some competing towns like Ashland or Holliston or Framingham.

Old 11-24-2018, 11:09 AM

622 posts, read 557,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r_p View Post
You cannot go wrong with Natick. It is surrounded by some very desirable towns such as Weston, Wellesley Wayland, Sherborn and Dover.

Although, if you're willing to spend ~1 million then look at Wellesley (in my opinion, the best town around Boston).
Wellesley is great but there is a significant disparity right now between Natick and Wellesley property values. For 1M you'd get a low end house in Wellesley. Older, smaller, and less updated. You could move literally a few streets across the town line into Natick and get a new construction teardown in Natick for 1M. Or get the 1M old wellesley house for 600k.

Old 11-24-2018, 11:13 AM

Quote:
The data is town specific. Don't just use your gut, actually read the page and understand the data.

My original point stands: Natick is just as "immune" as the nearby more expensive towns of Needham and Newton and will fare very well in the next real estate crash.
Are you asking me to go through each town within 495 and review the 18 year real estate history? No, I’m good. I’d bet that Natick, Reading, Bedford, Arlington, Melrose, etc. all look similar. That is, high growth areas due to proximity to jobs and conveniences. Can you confirm for me? I’m too lazy.

Edit:

Arlington https://www.zillow.com/arlington-ma/home-values/
Reading https://www.zillow.com/reading-ma/home-values/
Natick https://www.zillow.com/natick-ma/home-values/
Bedford https://www.zillow.com/bedford-ma/home-values/
Melrose https://www.zillow.com/melrose-ma/home-values/

Seems like a good comparison to me...

Last edited by mwj119; 11-24-2018 at 11:22 AM..

Old 11-24-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
I said google it generically from each town to Waltham, not pick a location as you so desire. Even in your example, we are talking two minutes. So the one hub Natick is closer to, its closer by 2 minutes?
Nice try. Natick is closer by up to 15 minutes during commuting times. That's significant.

You mentioned the "one" hub that Natick is closer to. Have you forgotten about the entire western part of the metro area? Natick has access to Framingham, Natick, Marlborough, Southborough, Hopkinton, Westborough, Worcester. Did you know that glassdoor has 200 open software engineer positions located in Marlborough right now? There are significant jobs out that way that Natick will always have better access to due to the neutral location.

Have you forgotten about the emerging job hubs south of 90?

Quote:
As for Reading “only being closer to Burlington/Woburn”, did you somehow forget Cambridge? And Somerville? And all of that mass development on the Mystic?
Again, nice try. I lumped Cambridge and Boston in as one market. The Boston market has more jobs. There are certain areas that are *slightly* better from Reading (Cambridge, Somerville) but then there are areas that are better from Natick (the Boston locations: allston/brighton, yawkee, backbay, south station, etc) If anything i'd say Natick is a little bit better but i graded them as equal.

Btw I work in Kendall square and i'm familiar with the Reading commute. Getting to Kendall is a nightmare from almost anywhere and it's only slightly better from Reading than Natick.

Old 11-24-2018, 11:22 AM

880 posts, read 810,170 times
Quote:
Or get the 1M old wellesley house for 600k.

The price disparity is due to schools and taxes. How are these in comparison? Up and coming or getting better simply doesnt cut it for schools during a flat or down period.

Also mathworks being the major employer has a downside too. Its growth has been driven by big data social media... whose growth is slowing

In summary.. its all about the schools

Old 11-24-2018, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post
The price disparity is due to schools and taxes. How are these in comparison? Up and coming or getting better simply doesnt cut it for schools during a flat or down period.

Also mathworks being the major employer has a downside too. Its growth has been driven by big data social media... whose growth is slowing

In summary.. its all about the schools
How do you define "up and coming". Is Needham "up and coming" compared to Newton? Is Beverly Hills "up and coming" compared to Bel Aire?

The bottom line is compared to 95% of other towns, Natick isn't "up and coming" it has been long established as a good community with premium schools. For example, it scored #19 on best school districts in Massachusetts https://www.niche.com/k12/search/bes...massachusetts/

Taxes are very good in Natick due to the large commercial tax base. Wellesley has ~ $12.00 per 1000 tax rate and natick has ~ $13.50 but the property values are significantly higher in Wellesley. The net of it is lower taxes in Natick.

Old 11-24-2018, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Nice try. Natick is closer by up to 15 minutes during commuting times. That's significant.

You mentioned the "one" hub that Natick is closer to. Have you forgotten about the entire western part of the metro area? Natick has access to Framingham, Natick, Marlborough, Southborough, Hopkinton, Westborough, Worcester. Did you know that glassdoor has 200 open software engineer positions located in Marlborough right now? There are significant jobs out that way that Natick will always have better access to due to the neutral location.

Have you forgotten about the emerging job hubs south of 90?

Again, nice try. I lumped Cambridge and Boston in as one market. The Boston market has more jobs. There are certain areas that are *slightly* better from Reading (Cambridge, Somerville) but then there are areas that are better from Natick (the Boston locations: allston/brighton, yawkee, backbay, south station, etc) If anything i'd say Natick is a little bit better but i graded them as equal.

Btw I work in Kendall square and i'm familiar with the Reading commute. Getting to Kendall is a nightmare from almost anywhere and it's only slightly better from Reading than Natick.
Heh? You realize the differences are, at least, negligible. So your counter point of neutrality is out the window. “Nice try”.

I edited my last post to point out the teir 2 housing markets that have grown exponentially. Natick, to me, looks exactly like a lot of other towns within 495. Do you have data to suggest otherwise? What makes its growth different than any of the others? Why do you think it’s a better investment than, say, Arlington? Why is it more recession proof than Melrose?

Again, go to bat all you want for Natick. Not sure why you think it’s any different than so many other towns in Greater Boston..

Old 11-24-2018, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Heh? You realize the differences are, at least, negligible. So your counter point of neutrality is out the window. “Nice try”.
The "neutral location" argument for preferring Natick to Reading is still very much alive and well.

Summary of better commute:

Burlington/Woburn: Reading
Lexington/Bedford: tie
Waltham: Natick
495: Natick
Mass pike (defined as: Framingham, Natick, Watertown, Allston/Brighton): Natick
128 South: Natick
Boston/Cambridge: tie

What part of that don't you understand? The concept of netural location is important also for what will happen in the NEXT 10-20 years. There will be emerging job hubs in that time that we probably can't predict. But given Naticks more central location, there is a better chance that Natick will be a better commute to it vs Reading.

Old 11-24-2018, 12:07 PM

9,918 posts, read 15,482,556 times
It sounds like you're set on Natick so I don't know why Reading is even being discussed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts