Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2018, 09:47 PM

41 posts, read 41,670 times

Advertisements

I'm contemplating a job in Worcester. I'm single in my 30s and commuting from Boston seems a bit too much (an hr train ride is about my limit). Where would be the best place to live? I can't get a feel for whether Worcester is a fun, diverse city and the towns 30 minutes drive away that are also on the commuter rail seem very suburban and family oriented.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2018, 10:44 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,217,860 times
Not sure why this is on the Boston sub. Should be on the Massachusetts one, you'd get more responses. Anyway, Worcester is much cheaper then Boston, so would be a good move financially.

Old 12-02-2018, 06:58 AM

4,679 posts, read 3,441,417 times
Well Worcester is very diverse. It is one of my favorite things about this city. I can't answer if it's fun for a 30 year old though. I'm old (49!) and have kids so I am boring.

If I was young and single I would definitely look at The Canal District.http://thecanaldistrict.com/ https://m.facebook.com/TheCanalDistrict/

Last edited by magicshark; 12-02-2018 at 07:12 AM..

Old 12-02-2018, 09:20 AM

41 posts, read 41,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
Not sure why this is on the Boston sub. Should be on the Massachusetts one, you'd get more responses. Anyway, Worcester is much cheaper then Boston, so would be a good move financially.
Not too worried about cost. My budget is about $2500 for a 1 bedroom. It's not clear to me that Worcester is very walkable or has a great restaurant scene which is what made me think it might be better to live closer to Boston so I can more easily access it on the weekends. But I am interested to hear what others think.

Old 12-02-2018, 09:28 AM

8,418 posts, read 4,472,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TresChic314 View Post
Not too worried about cost. My budget is about $2500 for a 1 bedroom. It's not clear to me that Worcester is very walkable or has a great restaurant scene which is what made me think it might be better to live closer to Boston so I can more easily access it on the weekends. But I am interested to hear what others think.

If you are used to and happy with Boston, I would suggest you live somewhere in between like Natick center. Being out in Worcester all the time would likely disappoint you as it is no Boston. Give yourself a better commute (far enough outside of Boston with west bound travel should be a breeze) in metrowest. You can walk to some things in Natick and have the option of a quick train ride into the city or a short drive on weekends.

Old 12-02-2018, 01:43 PM

652 posts, read 745,185 times
I'd probably just move downtown. You can get a better urban apartment in worcester than boston for a hell of a lot less money. There's a lot to do around there in walking distance of the DCU. You probably don't have to worry too much about safety if your building has a garage. And you can be close to Union Station for the commuter rail to Boston.

Old 12-02-2018, 01:52 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,797,099 times
Canal District or Shrewsbury St. They are the only places I considered.

Certainly not Natick as a single person! Yeesh.

Old 12-02-2018, 07:13 PM

23,211 posts, read 18,366,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rethcir View Post
I'd probably just move downtown. You can get a better urban apartment in worcester than boston for a hell of a lot less money. There's a lot to do around there in walking distance of the DCU. You probably don't have to worry too much about safety if your building has a garage. And you can be close to Union Station for the commuter rail to Boston.
DT Worcester is pretty scuzzy. As for the city overall, yes it is diverse and can be "fun" but only if you are willing to dig below the surface a little (it's that kind of city). It's not "hype" in the sense Boston is. It has quite a restaurant scene for a city its size, but then again not on the level of Boston. On the good side, it tends to be better value and more accessible (less packed, easier parking...).

Old 12-03-2018, 04:26 AM

4,679 posts, read 3,441,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
DT Worcester is pretty scuzzy. As for the city overall, yes it is diverse and can be "fun" but only if you are willing to dig below the surface a little (it's that kind of city). It's not "hype" in the sense Boston is. It has quite a restaurant scene for a city its size, but then again not on the level of Boston. On the good side, it tends to be better value and more accessible (less packed, easier parking...).
Downtown is a work in progress. In the short (1.5 years) time I have been here it has made small progress. More is in the works to hopefully make it nicer. They have been trying to rent and it to The Grid District. Not sure why though.

Spot on about having dig in to find things here. Worcester seems to pride itself on being an "underground" city. I learned a ton of hidden gems from the locals and talking to bartenders in some of the old school bars.

Old 12-03-2018, 06:47 AM

2,310 posts, read 1,803,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TresChic314 View Post
I am a few years younger than you but I would do Worcester for sure. I would be tempted to live in Salisbury Street area near WPI side on that budget aswell. You aren't as close to nightlife but the neighborhood is a lot cleaner and more grown up than most of the city. You'd still be close enough to amenities as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts