Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 12:14 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,918,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalia2150 View Post
Omg congratulations!! Ha you sound a lot like me, I would also be posting from the delivery room. If I move let's be friends. Thanks so much!!
No problem at all. Please do DM me with any follow up questions on the area!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2018, 10:37 AM

59 posts, read 53,236 times
My husband just accepted the job, so we'll be moving sometime in March. Thanks so much everyone for all of your help!

Can anyone recommend other forums or Facebook pages (moms' groups, etc) for the northwestern suburbs that I should check out? Hoping to get some additional insight into neighborhoods, activities for toddlers in each area, etc. if I can.

Last edited by amalia2150; 12-21-2018 at 11:06 AM..

Old 12-21-2018, 08:00 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,232,941 times
Quote:
My husband just accepted the job, so we'll be moving sometime in March. Thanks so much everyone for all of your help!

Can anyone recommend other forums or Facebook pages (moms' groups, etc) for the northwestern suburbs that I should check out? Hoping to get some additional insight into neighborhoods, activities for toddlers in each area, etc. if I can.
Andover has a very active Andover Mums Facebook group. I'm sure there's something similar for Westford and other area towns.

Old 12-21-2018, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
Andover has a very active Andover Mums Facebook group. I'm sure there's something similar for Westford and other area towns.
Yeah, Westford Moms Group is per request. Big following with loads of information, though my wife and I get a good laugh at a lot of the active members commentary..

Old 12-31-2018, 12:50 PM

59 posts, read 53,236 times
Sigh. I had pretty much settled on Andover or Westford, but my husband has a good college friend in Waban and would like to be close both to work and not too far from Waban (which I get, as it'll be nice knowing someone nearby). Plus I guess a lot of pharma is in Cambridge if he were to ever change jobs? It looks like there are some nice places in Carlisle at the upper end of our price range... is that situated decently for what he's looking for? There are also a few places on the market now we could potentially afford in Bedford or Burlington. Anywhere else between Billerica and the city/Cambridge/plus Newton area I should be researching?

Last edited by amalia2150; 12-31-2018 at 01:00 PM..

Old 12-31-2018, 01:12 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,232,941 times
Quote:
Sigh. I had pretty much settled on Andover or Westford, but my husband has a good college friend in Waban and would like to be close both to work and not too far from Waban (which I get, as it'll be nice knowing someone nearby). Plus I guess a lot of pharma is in Cambridge if he were to ever change jobs? It looks like there are some nice places in Carlisle at the upper end of our price range... is that situated decently for what he's looking for? There are also a few places on the market now we could potentially afford in Bedford or Burlington. Anywhere else between Billerica and the city/Cambridge/plus Newton area I should be researching?
Bedford is your best bet. Could also look at Acton.

Old 12-31-2018, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
Bedford is your best bet. Could also look at Acton.
Carlisle is largely a farming-turned-luxury town for the wealthy and elite. There’s nothing there except for large estates and country roads with some select ranch/split level housing. For a typical white collar transplant, Concord would be a better choice than Carlisle, as would Acton to the west and Westford to the north. They will feel less isolated and more neighborly at heart.

I agree that Bedford may be your best bet all around if you want to get closer to Newton yet stay within close proximity to Billerica for the daily commute. Any other options closer to Newton will be too expensive based on what we know about you/your family situation. A town like Arlington may work if you’re willing to live small (very small in the nice neighborhoods). The only one that might make sense is Waltham, which is a large urban suburb.. Very diverse, city-like downtown. Neighborhoods bordering Lexington and Belmont are very familiar freindly. Schools won’t “rank” high, and you’ll see a lot of socioeconomic diversity there.. It’s definitely not for everyone.

FYI, Waban is just a village/area of Newton.. One of thirteen.

FYI 2.0, towns along 95 in the area between Burlington and Newton are among the most desirable in the state. They offer close proximity to a good majority of the states jobs, and access to Boston, so it’s hyper competitive for a reason. Lexington, Concord, Lincoln, Newton, Arlington, Belmont, even Waltham.. Not an easy place for reccomenstions without a big budget.

Old 12-31-2018, 02:10 PM

9,880 posts, read 7,209,711 times
I'm tellin' ya - Burlington will give you the most bang for the buck and position you very centrally for jobs in Boston, Cambridge, or Metro West. Unless you're going to be in Waban multiple times a week, don't worry about it. It's a 25-30 minute from Burlington.

Carlisle is nice but it's going west. If you husband were to ever move to a job in Cambridge, the commute can be hard and one either has to get over to Concord or go through Bedford to 128.

From Burlington, there is a bus to Alewife Station which is a short Red Line ride to Kendall where the pharma and tech are.

Old 12-31-2018, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
I'm tellin' ya - Burlington will give you the most bang for the buck and position you very centrally for jobs in Boston, Cambridge, or Metro West. Unless you're going to be in Waban multiple times a week, don't worry about it. It's a 25-30 minute from Burlington.

Carlisle is nice but it's going west. If you husband were to ever move to a job in Cambridge, the commute can be hard and one either has to get over to Concord or go through Bedford to 128.

From Burlington, there is a bus to Alewife Station which is a short Red Line ride to Kendall where the pharma and tech are.
Robr2, meant to say Bedford/Burlington probabaly make the most sense.

OP, he’s correct in adding Burlington to the list of towns that check your boxes..

Old 12-31-2018, 03:42 PM

6,125 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post

Let me second this. I've taken the 350 bus many times, and it's nice to have this car-free option. Plus Burlington is along 128, and assuming hubby sees his friend on weekends, the drive to Newton is very easy. Plus Burlington is pretty much self-sufficient in itself. We live in adjoining Woburn and end up in Burlington for most of our needs (including dining out!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts