Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 03:30 PM

1,853 posts, read 1,955,639 times

Advertisements

Massnative71, you are searching to find flaws in Governor Baker, when the reality is that he has been a great Governor. If you look deep enough, you will find flaws in all politicians, as they are human beings with a finite ability to make policy changes.

I am not here to bash ex-Governor LePage or Maine, however you have to keep in mind that it’ll take Maine a long time to catch up to the rest of New England, even if things were put on the “right track” by the previous governor. In comparison MA has been doing well in key economic and quality of life indicators. It’s a leading state in New England. I am not saying that we give all the credit to Governor Baker, however it’s fair to say that he has done a good job. Both Governors are Republicans of different temperaments, policy focus – I am not sure that bashing one, while exalting the other serves any purpose other than your personal vendetta against Charlie Baker, who I assume, is not conservative enough for your tastes.

As a New England Republican, I will tell you that we have been decimated – absolutely decimated, by the extreme rhetoric coming from the Southern/Midwestern wings of the party. GOP’s brand has been further tarnished by the bombastic twitter and public speaking engagements of President Trump – who, largely, has governed as a standard Republican president in his tax policy, Supreme Court nominations and the like. Therefore, trying to set purity standards for the already endangered Republicans in New England will yield nothing but angst/disappointment as the types of candidates that you want to win, will probably not be able to win in NE states, where even the Republicans are of the moderate variety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2019, 07:30 AM

23,560 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
Massnative71, you are searching to find flaws in Governor Baker, when the reality is that he has been a great Governor. If you look deep enough, you will find flaws in all politicians, as they are human beings with a finite ability to make policy changes.

I do not like Baker. I think he is a smug, spineless backstabber with zero loyalty and who will always take the path of least resistance. Every time. I do not consider him a leader. Saying that, I do not go out of my way to find fault with him (most of the time one doesn't have to look very hard). I do find it quite amusing that he is ranked as the "most popular governor". On one side I find it hard to believe, on the other I just see it as just another sad reflection on the electorate. Should he really be the highest compensated governor, after 4 years failing to take charge in any of the very serious issues facing the state right now? Even RI got its pension situation (semi) under control for now.

Quote:
I am not here to bash ex-Governor LePage or Maine, however you have to keep in mind that it’ll take Maine a long time to catch up to the rest of New England, even if things were put on the “right track” by the previous governor. In comparison MA has been doing well in key economic and quality of life indicators. It’s a leading state in New England. I am not saying that we give all the credit to Governor Baker, however it’s fair to say that he has done a good job. Both Governors are Republicans of different temperaments, policy focus – I am not sure that bashing one, while exalting the other serves any purpose other than your personal vendetta against Charlie Baker, who I assume, is not conservative enough for your tastes.

I'm not exalting LePage, he obviously has some character flaws. I was using it as a comparison, a state like ME that while smaller/less diverse, etc. it in many ways started much rougher off in the beginning. You grade a politician by how well they managed the hand they were dealt. Despite facing an often difficult general assembly, LePage managed to push through major reforms and solve some very dire issues facing the state. Baker, he took over what is already one of the wealthiest states to begin with. I don't see where he is a significant improvement over Patrick. I can forgive somebody for being a RINO, voted Romney for both governor and president. I'm an Independent, I vote for the candidate, not the party. It's the phonies I have a problem with. But with that said, I don't believe Baker even qualifies as a RINO. He is so far left that he should be registering as a Democrat. Any other state he would be.

Quote:
As a New England Republican, I will tell you that we have been decimated – absolutely decimated, by the extreme rhetoric coming from the Southern/Midwestern wings of the party. GOP’s brand has been further tarnished by the bombastic twitter and public speaking engagements of President Trump – who, largely, has governed as a standard Republican president in his tax policy, Supreme Court nominations and the like.

Well cry me a river. The current political landscape is at a strange place with both major parties taking some very strange turns. Fact of the matter is, your Rockefeller type Republicans are either dying off or they became "progressive", started driving Subarus and Priuses, and voted blue the past few elections. Once upon a time, in the NE, a Yankee WASP was by default an R and an ethnic Catholic was a D. Ideology mattered less than demographics. The Ds were often more conservative than the Rs, in many cases. At the same time the GOP became more ideology oriented, and then hijacked by movements such as the Neocons, Koch Bros/Tea Party, then the Trump era; the Dems abandoned their traditional base for globalism, "progressivism", and increasingly influenced by white apologists and George Soros like extremists. Massachusetts voted for Reagan twice, thanks to the former moderate Democrats who felt their party was no longer looking out for their interests (hence dubbed the Reagan Democrats). Those who now vote R in Mass., are largely those same Reagan Democrats. The old "Rockefeller Republicans" are either in the nursing homes, or now vote for the likes of Obama and Clinton. When so many people on both sides were forsaken by their own parties, I think it's a bit of a deflection to blame the "Southern/Midwestern" wings of the party.

Quote:
Therefore, trying to set purity standards for the already endangered Republicans in New England will yield nothing but angst/disappointment as the types of candidates that you want to win, will probably not be able to win in NE states, where even the Republicans are of the moderate variety.

Tell that to LePage, Sununu, Bruce Poliquin, Scott Brown (2009 version) and the numerous other down-the-line conservatives who have won elections over the years. While they face an uphill battle, those who keep it real enough have the ability to win over the voters.

Old 01-08-2019, 08:04 AM

12,866 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Baker, he took over what is already one of the wealthiest states to begin with. I don't see where he is a significant improvement over Patrick.
I can think of a few big spots:

1) MBTA - In addition to finalizing the Green Line extension, he has acquired complete vehicle replacements for the Red and Orange lines, partial fleet replacement for the Green (full replacement due at the launch of the GLX), and complete major transit infrastructure upgrades. Service has improved and will be drastically improved with the launch of the new vehicles (which is happening starting this month - I've seen the new Orange Line doing training runs). Patrick made a lot of big promises on the transit front, but never accomplished anything major.

2) Communications - Patrick never fully embraced the modern age of communication. Baker has overhauled the state website and incorporated new features that make online services a hell of a lot easier than they used to be. He's also beefed up social media in key areas (Health/Human Services, the T, etc.) to make it easier for people to connect with state agencies.

3) Transparency - Baker's administration has changed the law and overhauled the public records process. Agencies are required to post frequently requested items enabling citizens and the media to have access to those items without submitting requests. They've also shortened the turnaround time to fulfill requests by a significant margin (10 days - it used to be a month or more). The Patrick administration was not nearly as transparent.

4) Health/Human Services - This administration has made significant improvements in the realm of opioids, mental health care, children/family services, veteran's services, and homelessness supports and continues to prioritize these items. Again, a lot of empty promises from Patrick on this front, but no major improvements or investments.

Old 01-08-2019, 08:06 AM

349 posts, read 320,987 times
You cant beat a dead hourse. This Maine resident has a weird fixation on Governor Baker. The one who won the 2018 election by a 60-30 margin. Blame the democratic process, and the "idiots" voters from MA.

Old 01-08-2019, 08:17 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
3) Transparency - Baker's administration has changed the law and overhauled the public records process. Agencies are required to post frequently requested items enabling citizens and the media to have access to those items without submitting requests. They've also shortened the turnaround time to fulfill requests by a significant margin (10 days - it used to be a month or more). The Patrick administration was not nearly as transparent.
A minor points. Now it is ten days to provide the data (extensions can be sought) before it was 10 days for a response. It's actually really problematic (staff has to drop everything, including key work) to try to respond and lots of records are missed because full searches can't be done (the reality is, they have less than 5 days once the response gets to the appropriate people, people are in the field, travelling, needs review by lawyers, etc). It also really doesn't solve the problem for which the legislature was trying to really get at, which was agencies would acknowledge receipt of the public records request within 10 days and then sit on it, and that was mostly LE agencies. Now they do the same things, but instead of sitting on it, they simply state that the matter is still under investigation and they can withhold it. It was an attempt and breaking the blue wall of silence some, and well intentioned, but rushed through and poorly conceived and executed.

Old 01-08-2019, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I can think of a few big spots:

1) MBTA - In addition to finalizing the Green Line extension, he has acquired complete vehicle replacements for the Red and Orange lines, partial fleet replacement for the Green (full replacement due at the launch of the GLX), and complete major transit infrastructure upgrades. Service has improved and will be drastically improved with the launch of the new vehicles (which is happening starting this month - I've seen the new Orange Line doing training runs). Patrick made a lot of big promises on the transit front, but never accomplished anything major.

2) Communications - Patrick never fully embraced the modern age of communication. Baker has overhauled the state website and incorporated new features that make online services a hell of a lot easier than they used to be. He's also beefed up social media in key areas (Health/Human Services, the T, etc.) to make it easier for people to connect with state agencies.

4) Health/Human Services - This administration has made significant improvements in the realm of opioids, mental health care, children/family services, veteran's services, and homelessness supports and continues to prioritize these items. Again, a lot of empty promises from Patrick on this front, but no major improvements or investments.
I'll give him #1.

#s 2 and 3 I didn't know about. Friends in state government did comment on the more competent admin after the changeover, so I guess that would make sense.

#4??? Patrick administration was a DISASTER in those areas, but what specifically has really changed?

Old 01-08-2019, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowstatus View Post
You cant beat a dead hourse. This Maine resident has a weird fixation on Governor Baker. The one who won the 2018 election by a 60-30 margin. Blame the democratic process, and the "idiots" voters from MA.
Um, I was born and raise there. Spend a combined 30+ years of my life there, still own property there, still involved with many things. I know people who work for the state, as well as in politics (on both sides of the aisle). I think I have a pretty good grasp on the political landscape, and what is going on down there.

Old 01-08-2019, 08:46 AM

12,866 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
A minor points. Now it is ten days to provide the data (extensions can be sought) before it was 10 days for a response. It's actually really problematic (staff has to drop everything, including key work) to try to respond and lots of records are missed because full searches can't be done (the reality is, they have less than 5 days once the response gets to the appropriate people, people are in the field, travelling, needs review by lawyers, etc). It also really doesn't solve the problem for which the legislature was trying to really get at, which was agencies would acknowledge receipt of the public records request within 10 days and then sit on it, and that was mostly LE agencies. Now they do the same things, but instead of sitting on it, they simply state that the matter is still under investigation and they can withhold it. It was an attempt and breaking the blue wall of silence some, and well intentioned, but rushed through and poorly conceived and executed.
It's not perfect, but it's definitely holding more agencies accountable and a step in the right direction. Before, especially with media inquiries, they could delay for a long time. The 10-day response didn't have to be much more than "Got it and we'll look into it." Depending on the nature of the request, it can still be longer than 10 days, but it's a hell of a lot harder for agencies to stall requests. The administration is pretty serious about sticking to those deadlines. But I agree, it was rushed and needs some tweaking. It's still a far cry from a few years back.

Quote:
#4??? Patrick administration was a DISASTER in those areas, but what specifically has really changed?
A lot, but specifically:
  • An overhaul of DCF which had been disastrous. Appointed a medical director (there wasn't one prior) and hired 350 new social workers.
  • Funding for opioid treatment has increased significantly, but that's a small piece of major reforms which include better collaboration between agencies on treatment of co-occurring conditions, new treatment facilities, reviews of current regulations and proposed changes, etc. Really, if you do a quick google search you can see what's going on. The state has a lot of data out there too.
  • The Governor established the BRAVE act and broke ground on a new $200m long-term care facility for Veteran's in Chelsea. Also made improvements to the Chelsea Soldier's Home.
  • Mental Health received its largest budget increase in history last year and overhauled community services with a focus on cross-agency collaboration to close gaps in the system.

Also, a big one I forgot is that the RMV was completely overhauled. Wait times were reduced and it's far more efficient. It's still, well, it's still the RMV so it's not sexy, but the entire process is a hell of a lot better. A huge contingent of services are now online too which is a big improvement.

Old 01-08-2019, 12:01 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times
Quote:
Once again this ignores the fact that ME is a poor, aging, rural state with slow population growth. It has a lot going against it to begin with. Comparing it with other NE states like VT, RI and CT; it doesn't look so bad. Main point is that looking at the past 8 years, ME seems to be headed in the right direction (although quite slowly for sure), while many of its peers are not dealing with their issues quite as well. That can certainly be partially credited to LePage's reforms.
CT and RI, yes. VT and NH, which have a very similar median population, have been equal to or better than Maine in real GDP growth all but one of the quarters from 2017 through Q3 of 2018.

Old 01-08-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
CT and RI, yes. VT and NH, which have a very similar median population, have been equal to or better than Maine in real GDP growth all but one of the quarters from 2017 through Q3 of 2018.
NH is an outlier for the region along with MA (both economies are connected). Going back to around 2014 (can't find consistent data for entire period), ME appears to be slightly higher that VT for several years. I can't find totals since the end of the recession or 2010 or wherever. ME has also had higher population growth than VT for some time now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts