Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 11:58 AM

15 posts, read 16,946 times

Advertisements

We have been in MA for about 2 years now. Currently renting for about $2300. Two kids in elementary school. Thinking of purchasing a home may be in Essex or Middlesex areas, mainly due to proximity to work and greater familiarity. Thinking in price ranges of $350 to $450K with a 5 to 10% down payment. Any inputs on pros and cons of waiting a couple of years more vs buying in 2019 will be helpful. Not sure if we can save for 20% down payment in the next 2 years or so. Will programs like one mortgage be better than conventional lenders? Really need a reality check and external perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2019, 12:16 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,920,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi.me View Post
We have been in MA for about 2 years now. Currently renting for about $2300. Two kids in elementary school. Thinking of purchasing a home may be in Essex or Middlesex areas, mainly due to proximity to work and greater familiarity. Thinking in price ranges of $350 to $450K with a 5 to 10% down payment. Any inputs on pros and cons of waiting a couple of years more vs buying in 2019 will be helpful. Not sure if we can save for 20% down payment in the next 2 years or so. Will programs like one mortgage be better than conventional lenders? Really need a reality check and external perspective.
You won’t lose much/any money via devaluation on a $400k house in this area, even in a full blown recession. That bracket is too hard to come by, and demand will not diminish. So, buying now shouldn’t be an issue. And though things are slowing down, I don’t expect any seismic shift in pricing even as inventory goes up. The local economy is just too strong.

Of course, with PMI, rates, principal mortgage, property taxes, you’ll end up around $2.9k per month on that $400k house if your DP is 5%. So, the higher the DP, the less house poor you will feel. But, at least that money is going somewhere, right?

I prefer Credit Unions. DCU does a stand-up job. Go see them about options, and then do some shopping to compare. Gaurunteed Rate is very easy to work with, though they are a behemoth. Shant Banosian is like the countries leading lender.. Call him directly with questions, he encourages it.

EDIT: You seem flexible on where you’d like to buy. My suggestion would be to find the sh*ttiest house that’s still livabe in the nicest community possible within 495. Find a good inspector if that’s the route you take.. Have them beat the crap out of it head to toe. The upside is with a little TLC and side cash you can get to 20% a lot quicker. Of course, it’s up to the appraisal. In Middlesex, I’m betting on towns with close proximity to Burlington and with a commuter rail stop. New high schools and good school rankings are important too.

Chelmsford? Acton? Maybe Billerica (if the new high school can shake its reputation fast enough)? To the east, I’d guess Wilmington? North Reading? Just look at dumpiest house that falls in the nicest areas in these towns, and you’re golden.

Last edited by mwj119; 01-02-2019 at 01:33 PM..

Old 01-02-2019, 12:45 PM

652 posts, read 750,174 times
This quarter is probably a good time to start looking. I agree with mwj's approach. If you can catch the slingshot out of the downturn in a couple years, plus some sweat equity, you hopefully will be sitting pretty to cash out and move to a higher budget house.

Old 01-02-2019, 02:26 PM

880 posts, read 819,497 times
If you have kids and want them to settle into schools. Buy now...

Old 01-02-2019, 02:30 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,233,403 times
I'd say if you plan on settling down in the same town for more than 3 or 4 years, i'd buy. I wouldn't worry too much about timing the market. A house should be purchased to live in, not to make money.

Old 01-02-2019, 02:46 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times
In the sub-$400K range, I think you're pretty safe even with the downward pressure of rising rates, a mortgage interest deduction cap, and a slowing economy.

If you're confident you'll be staying in the Boston job market for an extended period, I don't see the COL of owning at entry level losing out to the COL of renting for an 8+ year period. High end housing not so much.

Why do I believe this? Two things - population and migration/labor trends. We're 20 or so years out from peak population - those believing a boomer die off will free up housing are hopelessly delusional as the amount of pent up housing demand from gen-X, millenial, and gen-Z should easily absorb the inventory. Unless we dramatically build or people transition behavior to generational units, the sheer numbers suggest a housing crunch. Additionally, U.S. migration and labor trends continue to show that fewer and fewer major metros are benefiting from 'brain drain' and job market growth - Boston CSA being one.

Do I think house prices will flatten and maybe inverse in the near future? Sure, but will the inverse be worse than paying x-years of rent? Will rent inverse as well? Assuming 8+ years of renting a SFH vs. owning a SFH, my approximate napkin calcs suggest I could eat over 35% of depreciation and still break even (this includes ~12% of appreciation, so my actual margin is more like 47%). That's a gamble I'm willing to take.

Old 01-02-2019, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
downward pressure of rising rates, a mortgage interest deduction cap, and a slowing economy.
Rates won't rise if the economy starts slowing. And the economy hasn't started slowing, yet.

Old 01-02-2019, 06:47 PM

604 posts, read 561,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
Rates won't rise if the economy starts slowing. And the economy hasn't started slowing, yet.
Yes it has

Old 01-02-2019, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BosYuppie View Post
Yes it has
In what way? And the stock market doesn't accurately reflect the economy.

2018 was actually the best year of growth in over a decade. Although 2019 will likely be worse. No economic contraction or recession has been declared yet.

Old 01-03-2019, 04:06 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
In what way? And the stock market doesn't accurately reflect the economy.

2018 was actually the best year of growth in over a decade. Although 2019 will likely be worse. No economic contraction or recession has been declared yet.
The consensus growth forecast for the 2nd half of 2019 is at or below 2%. There was a minor growth blip from the fiscal stimulus of the tax law change but it didn’t last long. Enonomists get forecasts wrong but that’s what is likely to occur this year. It’s already priced into the bond market. You don’t see yield curve inversions unless people think a slowdown is coming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts