Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 03:09 PM

8,543 posts, read 14,020,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
I'm not a Chiefs fan, but it makes me physically ill that the Patriots are going to another Super Bowl. They'll probably win that too. I think it's time for Belichick and Brady to retire. Go Rams!
Seriously? I just don't know why the rest of the country whines so much about this. To me, it's truly amazing for a team in this day and age to be so highly competitive over such a long period. It's really incredible and it's not like they're the Yankees and they just go out and buy talent. The Patriots win as a team and many of the players earn less on this team than they would on others in order to win a championship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
The Rams don't deserve to be there. The Saints were robbed.
It really was remarkable how different the two games were yesterday.

In the NFC game, the refs were non-existent missing egregious penalty one after the other. It's hard to say the refs cost the Saints the game (even though that last play clearly had a missed call) because they were likely only in that position because of noncalls earlier in the game that went in their favor.

Meanwhile in the AFC game the refs were VERY active. There were a lot of close plays to review and it seemed there was a lot of laundry flying around the field.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2019, 03:25 PM

10,012 posts, read 15,659,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
Seriously? I just don't know why the rest of the country whines so much about this. To me, it's truly amazing for a team in this day and age to be so highly competitive over such a long period. It's really incredible and it's not like they're the Yankees and they just go out and buy talent. The Patriots win as a team and many of the players earn less on this team than they would on others in order to win a championship.

It really was remarkable how different the two games were yesterday.

In the NFC game, the refs were non-existent missing egregious penalty one after the other. It's hard to say the refs cost the Saints the game (even though that last play clearly had a missed call) because they were likely only in that position because of noncalls earlier in the game that went in their favor.

Meanwhile in the AFC game the refs were VERY active. There were a lot of close plays to review and it seemed there was a lot of laundry flying around the field.
Right, I think the Patriots are being wrongly compared to the Yankees.

Old 01-21-2019, 03:30 PM

24,482 posts, read 17,220,223 times
What a NAIL BITTAH ! what a game. I agree that if the Chiefs won the coin toss for OT they would have marched down the field to win. The Chiefs are no joke.

There were many times in the game where the Pats pulled out that magic that just keep them winning.
I just hope they saved some of that MOJO for the Rams.

Old 01-21-2019, 03:34 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,733,373 times
I have favorite teams but I cannot understand the hate some have toward other teams. Afterall, it is just a game. It is not the meaning of life.

As an example. I pull for the Red Sox over the Yankees, but If the Yankees end up in the playoffs and not the Red Sox I would pull for the Yankees. Now make it the Cubs and Yankees, I would pull for the Cubs. Make it the Red Sox and the Cubs, I would have mixed emotions.

Old 01-22-2019, 06:49 AM

23,542 posts, read 18,693,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I have favorite teams but I cannot understand the hate some have toward other teams. Afterall, it is just a game. It is not the meaning of life.

As an example. I pull for the Red Sox over the Yankees, but If the Yankees end up in the playoffs and not the Red Sox I would pull for the Yankees. Now make it the Cubs and Yankees, I would pull for the Cubs. Make it the Red Sox and the Cubs, I would have mixed emotions.
The haters might have been "cute" 15 or so years ago. But as time moves on, the sadder and more pathetic they become.

Old 01-22-2019, 08:02 AM

779 posts, read 876,966 times
I am a huge Chiefs fan--was born and raised in Kansas City. I'm also a Pats fan because I've lived here for nearly two decades and love watching the Pats. That game was BRUTAL to watch when you're emotionally invested in both teams. My family is still in KC and they are big Chiefs fans--some were at the game. They said the energy of the crowd was completely unreal...and then it all just deflated at the end.

I was going to be sad no matter who lost the game, but I am really sad for the Chiefs. There were many situations where I thought it was over: namely when Brady threw the third down interception, but Dee Ford was off sides. The coin flip was so nail-biting because whoever won that coin flip was likely going to win. I was actually more confident in the Chiefs' ability to march down the field in OT than the Pats'. Those were some seriously intense third and long situations for Brady in OT.

As a Chiefs fan, I'm confident that the team will be back next year. Mahomes is young and I worry about him getting injured given his love of being out of the pocket, but he's clearly very talented. It's tough being a KC sports fan! We're still holding on to that Royals world series victory a few years ago!

ETA: Was anybody else shocked at how well the Pats' defense performed in the first half of that game? I feel like I only hear about Brady and Mahomes, but I was shocked at how well they were containing the Chiefs' offense for the first half.

Old 01-22-2019, 08:16 AM

23,542 posts, read 18,693,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieMama View Post
As a Chiefs fan, I'm confident that the team will be back next year. Mahomes is young and I worry about him getting injured given his love of being out of the pocket, but he's clearly very talented. It's tough being a KC sports fan! We're still holding on to that Royals world series victory a few years ago!
Mahomes is definitely going places. I wish that team the best of luck next season!

Old 01-22-2019, 09:15 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,445,509 times
Pretty fortunate win for Pats. Blew a 14 point lead. Brady threw an interception (would have been his 3rd of the night) that should have lost the game, were it not for the dude lined up in the neutral zone (which had no effect on the play). Have never liked OT rules, also a stroke of luck winning the toss. And that "roughing the passer" down the stretch in the 4th quarter? Wow what a gift!

Could very easily be KC-New Orleans for the Super Bowl.

Old 01-22-2019, 09:17 AM

12,839 posts, read 22,014,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
The Rams don't deserve to be there. The Saints were robbed.
This is the consensus among many, and the no-call was absolutely atrocious. It really was. But with better clock management, the Saints would have likely been going to the Super Bowl. There's no excuse for not running the ball (thus running the clock and forcing LA to use their timeouts) more when you're under 2 minutes in a tie game and a chip shot field goal away from taking the lead.

I get that it's much sexier to "go for the dagger" and get the touchdown, but if the Saints ran the ball each down instead of tossing 2 incomplete passes (which stop the clock), the Rams get the ball back with well under a minute left and zero timeouts. Instead, they have 1:41 when they get the ball back and 1 time out. They still only barely made it into FG range. Bad no-call on the penalty, but also terrible clock management by the Saints.

Old 01-22-2019, 10:07 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,733,373 times
I believe there is an outside chance that if the Pats win the Superbowl, both Brady and Belichick might retire. Great note to go out on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts