Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 12:07 PM

21,626 posts, read 12,710,234 times

Advertisements

Whoa. Those restrictions are draconian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2019, 12:11 PM

34,913 posts, read 56,885,111 times
Wow! I remember when it opened which was right at the height of the malling of America. I was bright and shiny but built kind of on the cheap in comparison to malls in more affluent retail-heavy areas. I guess this should help Dartmouth Mall and Emerald Square Malls since they are closest.

Replum33 is right about anchors dictating who can occupy stores in the shopping centers they are located in. All major anchors have contingencies in their leases that will say stores that compete with them can't occupy vacant spaces in the center. That is why you often see vacant spaces sitting in very active centers. It is because replacement stores can't sell or do the same things as the anchor does. Is there anything that a Walmart Super Center does not sell? I know someone that had a successful small gift store in a small shopping center. A large pharmacy came into the center and as soon as the gift store's lease was up, they had to leave the center. The space is sitting vacant because there is not a lot of things that can go in there. The center already has all the things the pharmacy does not carry or do. Jay

Old 02-01-2019, 12:45 PM

10,006 posts, read 15,643,440 times
I remember the Walmart as being behind the mall, not actually connected to it.

Old 02-01-2019, 12:54 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,930,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Wow! I remember when it opened which was right at the height of the malling of America. I was bright and shiny but built kind of on the cheap in comparison to malls in more affluent retail-heavy areas. I guess this should help Dartmouth Mall and Emerald Square Malls since they are closest.

Replum33 is right about anchors dictating who can occupy stores in the shopping centers they are located in. All major anchors have contingencies in their leases that will say stores that compete with them can't occupy vacant spaces in the center. That is why you often see vacant spaces sitting in very active centers. It is because replacement stores can't sell or do the same things as the anchor does. Is there anything that a Walmart Super Center does not sell? I know someone that had a successful small gift store in a small shopping center. A large pharmacy came into the center and as soon as the gift store's lease was up, they had to leave the center. The space is sitting vacant because there is not a lot of things that can go in there. The center already has all the things the pharmacy does not carry or do. Jay

I've never been in it (don't like malls anyway), but a ladyfriend went a few times to a work out place, like exercise workout, that some dudes set up in a storefront there. Just seems so very odd, but they must have had cheap rent or something.

Old 02-01-2019, 01:08 PM

23,556 posts, read 18,651,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
but a ladyfriend went a few times to a work out place, like exercise workout, that some dudes set up in a storefront there.
That's usually when you know that a mall is DONE.

Old 02-01-2019, 01:09 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,930,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
That's usually when you know that a mall is DONE.

That's what I thought too.

Old 02-01-2019, 01:10 PM

12,818 posts, read 21,988,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post

It's interesting because certain types of retail establishments actually do better when clustered with similar/competing retail. You see this a lot in restaurants and bars. These places almost always do better when they are grouped with other similar places (even if they sell the same beers at the same prices as the neighbor). I would imagine this would be true with standard retail too. Davis Square is a small area, but it has three consignment shops right next to each other. All three are doing well. It's a shame big stores blocked smaller stores from opening up. There's no real risk to Walmart or Macy's if a small shop sells the same/similar products in a store inside the mall. It's just greed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Was it detached in the past? I can't remember. It's definitely attached now.

Old 02-01-2019, 01:22 PM

17,660 posts, read 9,148,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Walmart replaced Caldor in the mall in 2001. In 2013, Walmart moved to its own building in the mall parking lot. Walmart was still able to place restrictions on the mall.

Swansea Mall to close for good at the end of March

"Town Selectman Chris Carreiro in part blames Walmart for the mall's demise, since the retailer's deed agreement with the mall includes restrictions on what other types of stores can move in, such as grocery stores.

"[Walmart has] veto power on nearly everything," Carreiro said. "In other words, they own the Swansea Mall without actually owning the Swansea Mall.""

Old 02-01-2019, 01:46 PM

95 posts, read 69,575 times
If I understand it when Walmart decided to separate from the mall into a standalone building it bought the piece of land from the mall which is currently behind it. As part of the deal is when the slipped in all the restrictions on what the mall could do there. The owners who were likely paid more for this land sale than the mall was worth went along because they were making out in the deal. Now with all the restrictions in place it was the last nail in the coffin for the remaining mall which has literally withered away.

The town is trying to step in as a way to remove these restrictions and allow the mall to be re purposed or rebuilt into something worthwhile.

Old 02-01-2019, 01:54 PM

12,818 posts, read 21,988,267 times
So it is separated... wow, it's really been a while since I've been in there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts