Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 07:44 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,449,561 times

Advertisements

I kinda thought it was common knowledge and decency that you can't just walk into a private business, use their bathroom, and leave. That is very low class. Yes, you should buy a coke or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2019, 07:48 AM

9,092 posts, read 6,314,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
Way back when, I’d use the bathroom at the McDonalds in Kenmore Square while walking there from high school to take the 57 home. Where exactly in Kenmore Square should I have gone instead? There aren’t any municipal buildings in or near Kenmore that I can think of. And heck, even if there were, someone would still be hired to clean and stock the bathroom.

Please tell me where you use the bathroom whenever you’re traveling and need to go. Do you really buy food from a restaurant just to use its bathroom even if you aren’t hungry?
Quote:
And so tourists are encouraged to...pee on the street?
Your user name is androgynous but I'll take the risk and suggest this anyway.

https://www.stadiumpal.com/product/stadium-pal-kit/

Old 02-02-2019, 07:50 AM

9,092 posts, read 6,314,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I kinda thought it was common knowledge and decency that you can't just walk into a private business, use their bathroom, and leave. That is very low class. Yes, you should buy a coke or something.
^^ That has been my personal view as well.

Old 02-02-2019, 08:02 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times
Quote:
And so tourists are encouraged to...pee on the street.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
You all are really for forcing people to buy stuff to use the bathroom? Have you smelt NYC? Police at the stairs? Receipts? It’s all crazy and punitive.
How often do you have to pee? Are you drinking too much soda? I thought that only senior citizens had issues with their bladders and have to pee frequently.

And if you are wandering around Boston all day long, what do you do for food? Do you pack a bag lunch? Or have snack bars in your pockets?

Tourists stay in hotels. So they can pee there, and most prefer to, as their room has a private bathroom. Then the tourists tour the city. If they go shopping for souvenirs or at the Copley Mall, then they could use the bathrooms there. They also have access to using the bathrooms at whatever restaurants they eat in during the day. Shocking as it sounds to you, most tourists spend money while in Boston or anywhere else they are visiting.

The only punitive attitude in this discussion is the one thinking that McDonalds owes them a free and clean bathroom to the non-paying public.
Quote:
So you support doing away with T fares?
Is this sarcasm? No. The T needs to always cost money. If the grade school students need a lower fare, then fine. If a college student on financial aid needs a discounted fare, then fine. But no one should get free rides on the T.

I also think that all drivers with handicapped plates should have to pay the parking meter. They could have special meters that give them four hours at a time instead of two hours maximum (which would give them an extra two hours to get back to their car), but they really shouldn't be able to park all day for free on the street at a handicapped space. I know many people with a handicapped plate and they are really quite mobile on their own two feet.

Old 02-02-2019, 08:16 AM

21,631 posts, read 12,766,606 times
You all are different. Low class to use the bathroom, I don’t know what Castle you guys were raised in. Pretty classist/judge mental thing to say. I’m not putting on a front for a McDonalds. Low class is peeing on the side of said McDonalds.

In the rare instance I am told the bathroom is for customers only I consider the business cheap/rude or struggling and go elsewhere. It’s usually at a gas station somewhere sketchy where that happens. You don’t walk into a classy establishment or sit down restaurant and use the bathroom but a department store/grocery store/ fast food-most definitely.

Never have I been told to make a purchase-that comes off as a ghetto/low class hustle (nickel and diming) to me...which I guess, is why most businesses don’t do it.

Old 02-02-2019, 08:28 AM

Also waiting in line to buy a coke or something is counterintuitive to me needing to use the bathroom URGENTLY. Most people don’t just throw away on sodas and fries they don’t intend on consuming. I’ve never personally witnessed this or been a part of a group where anyone I did this.

Also if I’m out in Boston ‘all day long’ I will undoubtedly spend money, and will probably use the bathroom at a place I spent money in.

Old 02-02-2019, 08:37 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,449,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
You all are different. Low class to use the bathroom, I don’t know what Castle you guys were raised in. Pretty classist/judge mental thing to say. I’m not putting on a front for a McDonalds. Low class is peeing on the side of said McDonalds.

In the rare instance I am told the bathroom is for customers only I consider the business cheap/rude or struggling and go elsewhere. It’s usually at a gas station somewhere sketchy where that happens. You don’t walk into a classy establishment or sit down restaurant and use the bathroom but a department store/grocery store/ fast food-most definitely.

Never have I been told to make a purchase-that comes off as a ghetto/low class hustle (nickel and diming) to me...which I guess, is why most businesses don’t do it.
No I was just raised being taught I am not the center of the universe. But also other than that, its again just common decency. I like civility. I guess it's not common though.

Old 02-02-2019, 09:21 AM

Quote:
No I was just raised being taught I am not the center of the universe. But also other than that, its again just common decency. I like civility. I guess it's not common though.
You’re asking the staff to not only to clean a bathroom but to prepare a drink as well. They’re paid hourly, not on commission. It’s literally extra work for them as they must clean the bathroom regardless of if I use it or not. Waste of time, energy and money for all. Other people want to order food I’m not standing in line to waste their time either-because I am NOT the center of the universe, no one cares I have to use the bathroom so I have to buy a coke-they want to get their food as fast as possible.

I look out for the proletariat over the profit of the business class.

Old 02-02-2019, 09:35 AM

10,018 posts, read 15,662,194 times
What does this have to do with the MBTA?

Old 02-02-2019, 09:43 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,248,505 times
Quote:
+1.

It's not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts