Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 09:16 AM

41 posts, read 18,122 times

Advertisements

Just curious, what time of day does your husband have to get to the station(s) by so that parking isn't a problem?

I've been curious about Canton for a while; we're still years away from buying a SFH but our preferences are very much like the OP's (albeit our budget will max out a decent tick below theirs) and Canton has seemed like a nice fit, potentially. While it's always great to live within walking distance of a train station, it opens up even more possibilities if a 5-10 minute drive is doable daily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2019, 10:54 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,801,148 times
Canton is slowly (like most cities along 128) getting to the point where it's going to price out a lot of people. People either cannot afford, or don't want to spend $850k on a move in ready house. Or they don't see the value in spending $550-$600k on a house that is dated and needs work.

Canton's in a great location and apart from a terribly laid out road network and a lack of good restaurants, it's a solid town.

Old 02-28-2019, 05:46 AM

2 posts, read 1,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt32 View Post
Just curious, what time of day does your husband have to get to the station(s) by so that parking isn't a problem?

I've been curious about Canton for a while; we're still years away from buying a SFH but our preferences are very much like the OP's (albeit our budget will max out a decent tick below theirs) and Canton has seemed like a nice fit, potentially. While it's always great to live within walking distance of a train station, it opens up even more possibilities if a 5-10 minute drive is doable daily.
I drive him to the train station anywhere from 6 am to 7:30 am. He walks home. Sometimes he’ll walk to the station, but he’s not a morning person and I like a few minutes with him to go over our days. If I’m working, I usually head for work after dropping him off.

Old 03-07-2019, 06:16 AM

11 posts, read 14,316 times
Thank you all for alot of helpful responses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Solie View Post
This thread (//www.city-data.com/forum/massachusetts/2428108-boston-area-cultural-niche-between-blue-7.html[/url]) might be of interest to the OP. It's now some three years old but probably still relevant.
Thank you also for this - interesting thread, will read through today. This OPs concerns align with ours fairly well.

I do still worry, but given our price range Natick and Melrose are pretty much our targets at this point. I have a friend who lives in Natick who has some complaints about the "Moms club" type atmosphere growing. For example, they are a dual income family and she is routinely expected to attend school events and get her children to sports practices at 2/3:00pm. Obviously this is probably not unique to Natick, but her perception (having lived there for years) is its a recently worsening issue driven by changing demographics and increasing number of stay at home parents in town. Anecdotal, of course.

Old 04-03-2019, 02:47 PM

12 posts, read 9,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brainbree View Post
Again, if you go to the government site for MCAS scores you can see most schools are basically the same when you control for socioeconomic status.
This makes a lot of sense and I totally want this to be true but what exactly is the data for this? Are you referring to %SGP?

Old 04-03-2019, 03:55 PM

16 posts, read 22,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boschi View Post
Hi all,
We are looking for Boston suburbs with decent schools but that are a little more down to earth and diverse, and a little less "pressure cooker" atmosphere-wise. Wellesley/Weston/Lexington/Newton type cities are really not the right fit.

Budget is $750-800k for 2-3 bedroom (which I realize rules out most of the above cities anyway - but I specifically listed them because I think they are illustrative of what we're not looking for). Looks like this price point also excludes Cambridge and Somerville, which look like good fits.

Hoping for a single family home, <45mins to the financial district.

I am told that Melrose might fit the bill? Anything else come to mind?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
We are moving to Boston too, and are in a similar situation to you on schools and budget. I heard from many on this forum that Natick, Melrose, and Milton will be good choices. We are also going to look in Sudbury, Sherborn, Dover and Westwood. Further up north, there is also Concord, Carlisle, and Acton, although I haven't head anything about whether their schools are "pressure cooker" or not. Good luck with your home search.

Last edited by runningman1976; 04-03-2019 at 03:57 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 04-04-2019, 11:55 AM

1,298 posts, read 1,332,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaiddad View Post
This makes a lot of sense and I totally want this to be true but what exactly is the data for this? Are you referring to %SGP?
SGP but also test scores by subgroup. Earlier in this thread on page 2 I posted below when someone was claiming that Natick schools are great an Lowell schools are bad.

I'm not saying one is better than the other, but just be careful when using MCAS data. Ditto for USNews or Greatschools which do not factor much for SES.

For example, the Morey school in Lowell is as good or better than every single school in Natick when you control for SES. 87% of the 4th graders passed the Math MCAS at Morey, while not a single Natick school is above 80% pass rate and most are BELOW 70%. Kind of amazing when you actually look at data subjectively eh?

Old 04-04-2019, 06:59 PM

604 posts, read 561,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semiurbanite View Post
For example, the Morey school in Lowell is as good or better than every single school in Natick when you control for SES. 87% of the 4th graders passed the Math MCAS at Morey, while not a single Natick school is above 80% pass rate and most are BELOW 70%. Kind of amazing when you actually look at data subjectively eh?
But.. but.. but.. Natick!!!!

Old 04-04-2019, 08:42 PM

622 posts, read 563,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semiurbanite View Post
SGP but also test scores by subgroup. Earlier in this thread on page 2 I posted below when someone was claiming that Natick schools are great an Lowell schools are bad.

I'm not saying one is better than the other, but just be careful when using MCAS data. Ditto for USNews or Greatschools which do not factor much for SES.

This is a stupid way of looking at it.

Would you send your kid to Lowell public schools over natick? Didn’t think so.

Old 04-05-2019, 08:15 AM

7,924 posts, read 7,813,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by panchilly View Post
This is a stupid way of looking at it.

Would you send your kid to Lowell public schools over natick? Didn’t think so.
Depends really. Do you want them to be socially isolated or not? I've never seen a job ad saying "Must be willing to work with upper middle class WASPS" but I've seen plenty that say you must be able to work with a diverse workgroup. I've been told bluntly before being a guy starting a job with nearly all women. If you think that doesn't get said in more diverse environments it does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts