Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 05:27 AM

12 posts, read 216,624 times

Advertisements

I will be traveling in Mass. in a few weeks and would greatly appreciate any recommendations you folks would have concerning high-quality small towns that I can visit when I am there. Ipswich, Truro(Cape Cod), Marthas Vineyard and Nantucket have been recommended to me, but dont have any other recommendations for the rest of the state. I am looking for small towns with historic districts in the downtown area, nice shops and restaurants, old architecture, high quality. I would be willing to travel any part of the state to visit such towns. I am coming in from NY and going back out that same way, so would like to visits some nice towns in the west and centralpart of the state, not just the coast area. Thank you for your advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 05:44 AM

29 posts, read 189,373 times
I like Newburyport a lot, a port town with a nice little downtown. I would definitely recommend Edgartown and Oaks Bluff on Martha's Vineyard but I'm not sure what they'll be like at this time of the year.

Enjoy your visit!

Old 04-09-2008, 06:29 AM

1,477 posts, read 7,909,568 times
Default Man

New Bedford isn't a small town, but there's lots of history there. Nearby is Fairhaven, with some beautiful architecture, particularly the high school and library. Easton, MA has some wonderful old buildings, too. Concord is quite nice, as is Plymouth. Manchester-by-the-Sea is another lovely town.

Away from the coast, Charlemont and Rowe are pretty, and of course, Lenox and other Berkshire communities.

Old 04-09-2008, 06:32 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,266,886 times
Marblehead. Manchester-By-The-Sea.

Old 04-09-2008, 02:08 PM

18,717 posts, read 33,380,506 times
Concord, for sure. Historic houses, Lousia May Alcott House, Walden Pond, beautiful.
Anything on Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard require a ferry ride,and I'm not sure what is open there this time of year.

Old 04-09-2008, 07:15 PM

2,135 posts, read 7,656,189 times
Marblehead and Newburyport

Old 04-10-2008, 06:08 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,836,615 times
OK, Billybob... All the places mentioned are good. I would consider Great Barrington, Lenox, and Stockbridge, all close to one another in Berkshire County. Old Deerfield is very high quality. Shelburne Falls, on the Mohawk Trail, is small, lovely, and lively. Bigger bustling towns are Amherst and Northampton, both with historic sites and a lively atmosphere. In Worcester County I'm not so sure-- Hardwick is a gem but very small--no stores. West Brookfield and Brookfield are nice--maybe not worth going out of your way. Sturbridge has the somewhat artificial but interesting Old Sturbridge Village (admission fee). Lancaster has a beautiful Bulfinch church and other historic buildings; also Groton has lots of old, high quality stuff. Essex County is crammed with very old houses--in addition to Newburyport, Amesbury and Ipswich are worth a visit. In Ipswich be sure to visit the Crane Estate. Exeter and especially Portsmouth, N. H., are also great. On the south shore, Hingham and Cohasset are both very high quality towns, historic districts, etc. The buildings someone cited in Easton are H. H. Richardson buildings--if you like Richardson's work you can do a whole tour of his buildings in the Boston area.

Boston and Cambridge, neither one a small town, have nevertheless preserved some of the historic atmosphere. Charlestown counts as a small town and and is worth a visit. On the Cape, you have Sandwich, Chatham, Falmouth, and perhaps others. I know you posted in Connecticut. How about RI?

Old 04-10-2008, 07:08 PM

739 posts, read 2,186,201 times
Newburyport, maybe Gloucester.

Northampton/Amherst (add a quick run up I-91 to Brattleboro, VT).

Old 04-11-2008, 09:38 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,842,872 times
Petersham near the Quabbin Reservoir. You will feel transported back in time!

Old 04-11-2008, 11:38 AM

15 posts, read 105,435 times
Harvard Massachusettes is a great small town, great schools, Historic, great town center, rural yet close to route 495 and route 2..In my opinion it is one of the most beautiful towns in Mass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts