Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 03:36 PM

622 posts, read 563,702 times

Advertisements

People in Massachusetts have a distorted sense of city vs. suburb because Boston, unlike many other cities in the US, did not annex its neighbors to the same extent historically. As a consequence Boston is a very very very small city, at only 45 square miles land area. The downtown Boston central business district is a microscopic fraction of this size and is vastly smaller than CBDs in other major cities.

The reality is, city lines are arbitrary and the urban area stretches well beyond the Boston city limits. There is more to this area than Boston.

Waltham is actually part of the urban core. Waltham, for example, has a higher population density than San Diego.

Some developers are actually predicting that Waltham could be the next big growth market.
https://www.bisnow.com/boston/news/n...in-sight-93315
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2019, 08:36 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,722,770 times
Yes, I've long noticed this. A town 10 miles from the Boston line is not the same as a town that is 10 miles from, say, the Chicago city line. You could live on the border of Chicago and still have an hour commute downtown.

Old 02-09-2019, 08:45 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Transplants say this as if it’s mere coincidence Boston didn’t annex. This is the 56,749th time we’ve herd this flimsy argument. You have to accept Boston is very different politically culturally historically economically and socially from other towns that have their own long histories, values demography, laws, govt forms, etc etc. hate why Boston and New England cities are not like “other” (sunbelt) cities. It’s not arbitrary at all. The borders and boundaries make perfect sense as they are-that’s why it is the way it is.

It’s insulting trying to diminish the uniquess and history of Waltham by calling it Boston. And visa Versa. Comparing Waltham to San Diego just cause is disingenuous and most people here would consider most of San Diego to be a city at all.

Also why are you singling out Waltham, you live there?

Old 02-09-2019, 08:49 PM

622 posts, read 563,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Transplants say this as if it’s mere coincidence Boston didn’t annex. This is the 56,749th time we’ve herd this flimsy argument. You have to accept Boston is very different politically culturally historically economically and socially from other towns that have their own long histories, values demography, laws, govt forms, etc etc. hate why Boston and New England cities are not like “other” (sunbelt) cities. It’s not arbitrary at all. The borders and boundaries make perfect sense as they are-that’s why it is the way it is.

It’s insulting trying to diminish the uniquess and history of Waltham by calling it Boston. And visa Versa. Comparing Waltham to San Diego just cause is disingenuous and most people here would consider most of San Diego to be a city at all.

Also why are you singling out Waltham, you live there?
I’m not a transplant. I was born in mass.

Old 02-09-2019, 09:46 PM

2,364 posts, read 1,853,815 times
agreed. see my map of boston below

now this map is a bit flawed for two reasons. (1) i have omitted south shore towns that should be included weymouth, randolph, braintree, norwood, and canton (2) some of the towns have not stepped up to their role as a part of the urban core and therefore don't feel as integrated into the city as they should.

Waltham is not one of those towns. It has done a fair job of stepping up although neighboring watertown is considerably more urban as a whole

Old 02-09-2019, 11:30 PM

17,709 posts, read 9,181,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
now this map is a bit flawed
Huge understatement.

Old 02-10-2019, 07:04 AM

649 posts, read 816,375 times
Waltham has been the new “thing” at least since we moved there in 2002, so probably earlier. It became a “thing” when Cambridge popped in the 90s. If they could improve their schools they would actually be the new “thing.” The infrastructure and amenities are already there, as is the location.

Old 02-10-2019, 07:24 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,836,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by panchilly View Post
People in Massachusetts have a distorted sense of city vs. suburb because Boston, unlike many other cities in the US, did not annex its neighbors to the same extent historically. As a consequence Boston is a very very very small city, at only 45 square miles land area. The downtown Boston central business district is a microscopic fraction of this size and is vastly smaller than CBDs in other major cities.
Boston has about the same land area as San Francisco which is not thought of as being a "very very very small city."

I think the CBD is at least as big as most CBDs in other major cities. About the same as in Philadelphia, Seattle, San Francisco, Houston, Atlanta, Washington DC.

Quote:
The reality is, city lines are arbitrary and the urban area stretches well beyond the Boston city limits. There is more to this area than Boston.
Completely true. Cambridge, Somerville, Medford, Everett, Chelsea, Malden, etc. exhibit the same urban patterns as the communities south of the Charles that were absorbed into Boston except for the lack of parks. Where Boston engaged Olmsted to lay out a series of public parks in the newly annexed districts; the smaller cities didn't do anything like that until the state stepped in to do metropolitan reservations but you can't walk to those from your house in Somerville the way you can walk to Franklin Park or the Arboretum from many Boston neighborhoods.

Quote:
Waltham is actually part of the urban core. Waltham, for example, has a higher population density than San Diego.

Some developers are actually predicting that Waltham could be the next big growth market.
https://www.bisnow.com/boston/news/n...in-sight-93315
If you see Boston as another LA then maybe Waltham could be something like Westwood is to Downtown LA BUT I don't think many people see things that way. I'd rather say Waltham is what it is, one of a number of smaller cities that industrialized in the 19th century as satellites of Boston. Then Waltham got a big dose of mid-twentieth century commercial development with Route 128 running through its outlying territory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
You have to accept Boston is very different politically culturally historically economically and socially from other towns that have their own long histories, values demography, laws, govt forms, etc etc. hate why Boston and New England cities are not like “other” (sunbelt) cities. It’s not arbitrary at all. The borders and boundaries make perfect sense as they are-that’s why it is the way it is.
Interesting point and this is one of the reasons why the annexation movement petered out after Brookline declined Boston's overtures three times (although Hyde Park later joined Boston.) I do, however, think of the core of the Boston metro as including Boston proper, the Seaport and Roxbury plus Brookline, Allston and Cambridge.

Old 02-10-2019, 07:36 AM

17,709 posts, read 9,181,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
I do, however, think of the core of the Boston metro as including Boston proper, the Seaport and Roxbury plus Brookline, Allston and Cambridge.
The Seaport, Roxbury, and Allston are Boston proper.

Old 02-10-2019, 08:06 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,836,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
The Seaport, Roxbury, and Allston are Boston proper.
Redplum, by Boston proper I mean the original Boston, i.e. the core city, as opposed to the territory Boston added through annexation. I know that a city proper usually means within city limits but in Boston it's long been used the way I continue to use it. Boston proper is everything between the harbor and Mass Avenue. Maybe we throw in Charlesgate or Kenmore Sq but that's about it. Everything else is Roxbury or South Boston or...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts