Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2019, 11:04 AM

14,183 posts, read 14,539,139 times

Advertisements

When I lived in Andover 1985 to 2000, we use to go bar hopping/slumming in Lowell. I was there this past July and the place has come a long way since 2000. Most of the seediness is being replaced/cleaned up.

One restaurant has been there for quite a long time. The Athenian Corner. Great Greek food. Love the place.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2019, 02:29 PM

3,961 posts, read 5,699,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
Lowell feels disjointed to me, like it's hard to get from one side of the city to another without crossing weird wasteland spaces like this

https://goo.gl/maps/QexjPQizGAQ2
Yes, these industrial areas are ugly but at least they still provide a modicum of employment to the area. A historically downtrodden city like Lowell would take anything like that over nothing. That coupled with inadequate public bus service is why the city and region as a whole is so autocentric.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
The city feels way more sprawling and less walkable. It's a shame that there are so many quality of life issues in Lawrence, otherwise it would be a good place to live. There are some nice houses left as well - i like these ones on e haverhill

https://goo.gl/maps/Tfi7KA8wXML2
Lawrence is a smaller city with a smaller footprint. It too has a nice section like Lowell's Belvidere section which I believe your Google capture shows (I don't know the name of it though). I've been only a few times to Lawrence and always found it to be rougher than Lowell though. Both cities' streets have terrible pavement and are often full of cracks and potholes but there just seems to be an edginess to Lawrence that Lowell no longer has.

One major peeve I have are the number of jaywalkers on Broadway/Route 28 especially at night when one can't see clearly all the time. It's like they own the street and simply cross without regard to oncoming traffic. Route 28 is the major thoroughfare in Lawrence and I understand it is a hassle to cross but with so much auto traffic on the road, at least the pedestrians can be more civil, use crosswalks, and wait for red lights to cross instead of just crossing out of nowhere. That has seldom happened to me in Lowell.

Old 03-09-2019, 02:31 PM

3,961 posts, read 5,699,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
One restaurant has been there for quite a long time. The Athenian Corner. Great Greek food. Love the place.
There's a new boutique hotel scheduled to be built next to the Athenian Corner. So things are coming along, at least in some parts. Hopefully they can do well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts