Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2020, 07:54 AM

17,668 posts, read 9,148,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
What have the Red Sox done for Mookie that would incentivize him to pass on $120 Million additional dollars just to stay with them? His name has been fairly openly tossed around in trade rumors for some time now. Yeah, both $300m and $420m are absurd amounts of money, but I hate the idea that there should be any animosity for these guys not taking the "hometown discount." $120 million is a lot to pass on just for warm and fuzzies which he likely doesn't have for the Sox. Can't fault the guy for testing the market if the two sides are that far off on contract negotiations.
You're assuming he'll get 420 million elsewhere. I doubt he will, so I don't see this as leaving 120 million on the table. IMO, the Red Sox offered him more than he's worth (but not necessarily more than he'd get elsewhere).

Jacoby Ellsbury comes to mind...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2020, 08:16 AM

12,818 posts, read 21,988,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
You're assuming he'll get 420 million elsewhere. I doubt he will, so I don't see this as leaving 120 million on the table. IMO, the Red Sox offered him more than he's worth (but not necessarily more than he'd get elsewhere).

Jacoby Ellsbury comes to mind...
I'm not assuming he'll actually get it. I'm saying that if that is the number, then his agent is telling him he can get $420, and if he believes his agent that he'll get $420 but the Sox are offering him $300, then it makes perfect sense for him to seek the $420. It's about testing the market which he has every right to do. It's a ton of money, but it's likely going to be his last/only big contract, so I can't fault him for trying it and I hardly have an issue with the guy not taking $120 million less than his perceived value to stay with a team that is fairly openly talking about trading him.

Betts is not Ellsbury.

Old 01-29-2020, 09:48 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,401,145 times
12/$420 is $35MM AAV. Not really out of line with recent top of market contracts from that perspective, given that it is probably more a negotiating position than a bottom line demand.

Old 01-29-2020, 09:54 AM

1,362 posts, read 872,942 times
I think they should trade him if they can (no idea what his contract is). We've got no manager, and it should be a rebuilding year from a pitching perspective. Dump Price and Sale too. Give Pedroia a scouting job or something. Hit reset.

Old 01-29-2020, 12:44 PM

9,873 posts, read 7,195,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemka View Post
I think they should trade him if they can (no idea what his contract is). We've got no manager, and it should be a rebuilding year from a pitching perspective. Dump Price and Sale too. Give Pedroia a scouting job or something. Hit reset.
Mookie will be paid $27 million in 2020.

Do you really think a scout is worth $25 million per year?

Trading either Price or Sale will require the Sox to eat a good chunk of their combined salaries (about $53 million annually) which will make it difficult for them to reach their goal of getting below the luxury tax threshold.

Old 01-29-2020, 01:12 PM

12,818 posts, read 21,988,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Mookie will be paid $27 million in 2020.
Well, assuming no longer term deal is reached either w/ Boston or with whatever team he may be traded to. An arbitration settlement (which the $27m is) doesn't mean that the two parties can't continue to work on a long term deal which is what often happens. If they agreed on a long term deal, he would be paid whatever salary the deal indicated (i.e. $30-35m). The rumor (and it may be just that) is that the Red Sox and Mookie are far off on the long term deal. So the team could trade him to another team which would, at minimum, have him for $27 Million in 2020 and have the first stab at negotiating something longer term. If they agree to a longer term deal before the start of the season, he'd make whatever that deal outlined for 2020.

Frankly, it would make sense for him to get the big contract now. Again, he may not have another opportunity in his career, and an injury or subpar season this year could greatly hurt his negotiating power now. He knows this, and I'd be surprised he didn't reach a deal before next off season. Either here, or somewhere else.

Old 01-29-2020, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
12/$420 is $35MM AAV. Not really out of line with recent top of market contracts from that perspective, given that it is probably more a negotiating position than a bottom line demand.
He's no Trout. 10/$300 is not a lowball offer.

I bet he will regret not taking it.

Old 01-29-2020, 02:09 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,401,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
He's no Trout. 10/$300 is not a lowball offer.

I bet he will regret not taking it.
Trout led the league in WAR in 2019, Mookie led in 2018... Also, Mookie has intangible marketing value to the team as he's not a stick in the mud like Trout. Mookie is easily on par with Rendon who just signed, wait for it, a $35MM AAV contract. Boras is always going to benchmark from the top recent deals.

Unless Mookie suffers a serious injury, he's not going to regret turning down the 10/$300 offer. He will easily get that offer from multiple teams in free agency. He seems to care more about maximizing his contract than being in Boston, if not he better blink soon.

Old 01-29-2020, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
Trout led the league in WAR in 2019, Mookie led in 2018... Also, Mookie has intangible marketing value to the team as he's not a stick in the mud like Trout. Mookie is easily on par with Rendon who just signed, wait for it, a $35MM AAV contract. Boras is always going to benchmark from the top recent deals.

Unless Mookie suffers a serious injury, he's not going to regret turning down the 10/$300 offer. He will easily get that offer from multiple teams in free agency. He seems to care more about maximizing his contract than being in Boston, if not he better blink soon.
10/$300 (30 per) is far more attractive than Rendon's 7/$245 (35 per). The Red Sox would love to give him Rendon's contract. It's the total number that everyone is looking at.

Old 01-29-2020, 03:41 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,717,749 times
Catch me up. Spring Training opens soon and have they picked a Manager yet? What is going on?

Thanks

NEVERMIND..........LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts