Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 10:21 AM

622 posts, read 563,785 times

Advertisements

The cap of 10K for the SALT deduction causes many upper middle class homeowners to feel the full brunt of their property tax bill where before they might have felt only ~ 60% of it due to the generous tax laws.

Towns like Acton, with very few businesses and bloated school budgets, are VERY expensive in taxes. Other towns in the same price ball park like Burlington and Natick have far lower taxes due to large business tax bases and their schools are also very good.

https://patch.com/massachusetts/bost...each-community

first number = tax rate per 1000 for 2019
second number = tax rate * zillow home value index

*the second number is to adjust for the fact that some towns Like Newton have very low rates but it is counter balanced by the fact that their values are extremely high. Still, even Newton is pretty cheap in taxes when you consider the top tier location, schools, and quality of the town.

business friendly towns
Burlington - $10.48 - 6k
Natick - $12.71 - 7.4k
Waltham - $12.66 - 7.6k
Newton - $10.45 - 11.2k
Needham - $12.39 - 11.6k

business unfriendly towns
Wayland - $18.28 - 13.6k
Carlisle - $18.29 - 14.7k
Acton - $19.37 - 11.1k

I believe Burlington, Natick, and Acton are pretty apples to apples in terms of home values and overall quality level of the town. They all have good schools.

Zillow home index for each:
Burlington: $578,200
Natick: $581,700
Acton: $575,600

If you chose Acton you are paying 85% more in taxes than Burlington and 50% more than Natick. Acton has a much worse location than Natick and Burlington in my opinion.

Why on earth would anyone move to Acton at a worse location compared to Natick or Burlington and pay 50-85% more in property taxes?

Acton may be on the decline...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2019, 10:52 AM

880 posts, read 819,334 times
Would agree, however sometime in the next 8 years the Democrats will come back into power and the first thing they will change is this SALT deduction (huge liberal base on the coasts)...

Definitely surprised how Newton is able to keep its property taxes sane while having low crime and great schools, theres definitely more room to attract businesses...

Old 03-10-2019, 11:05 AM

23,551 posts, read 18,700,598 times
People in Acton may commute to the local area, or they are just looking for a quieter/leafier existence. I do agree that you pay through the nose to maintain those NIMBY land use policies though, personally as a homeowner I would much rather have more businesses in town to share some of the tax burden.

Old 03-11-2019, 10:16 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,696,617 times
If you can afford a house in Acton the SALT cap is a non issue for you. If the SALT cap suddenly makes you poor, you've got bigger problems.

Old 03-11-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
If you can afford a house in Acton the SALT cap is a non issue for you. If the SALT cap suddenly makes you poor, you've got bigger problems.
You are missing the point.

If you can afford a place in Acton you are probably wise with your finances and aren't keen on shelling out money for no benefit. Why would you willingly move to Acton and pay 50-85% higher taxes when you could move to another town at the same house price and pay far less taxes and have a better commute on top of that?

I'd rather move to another town and pocket another 500-600 a month.

Old 03-11-2019, 10:46 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,918,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by panchilly View Post
You are missing the point.

If you can afford a place in Acton you are probably wise with your finances and aren't keen on shelling out money for no benefit. Why would you willingly move to Acton and pay 50-85% higher taxes when you could move to another town at the same house price and pay far less taxes and have a better commute on top of that?

I'd rather move to another town and pocket another 500-600 a month.
Despite all of this, Acton is steady-as-she-goes. Still up >25% from pre-recession values. Look at the median income levels in Acton vs. Natick vs. Burlington.. Way higher. Income vs. ppsqft/property taxes still sides with Acton.

Top rated schools, reputation, bigger homes, bigger lots, windy roads will always have a seat at the table when it sits 20 miles from Cambridge. Is it declining? No. Is it as desirable in the minds of Bostonians as it was in the 70s-90s? Probabaly not.

I should have prefaced this by saying that I think Acton is overrated.

Old 03-11-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Despite all of this, Acton is steady-as-she-goes. Still up >25% from pre-recession values. Look at the median income levels in Acton vs. Natick vs. Burlington.. Way higher. Income vs. ppsqft/property taxes still sides with Acton.

Top rated schools, reputation, bigger homes, bigger lots, windy roads will always have a seat at the table when it sits 20 miles from Cambridge. Is it declining? No. Is it as desirable in the minds of Bostonians as it was in the 70s-90s? Probabaly not.

I should have prefaced this by saying that I think Acton is overrated.

Acton also has higher median income than Newton and Brookline according to the 2016 estimate on city data. I would take that with a few grains of salt though since living in a town and buying a SFH in that town can be very different things.

Some of the gap is explained by the higher renter population and smaller % of families as compared to Acton. Natick and Burlington have a lot more renters than Acton and have a smaller percentage of families with kids.

Old 03-11-2019, 11:10 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,918,842 times
Quote:
Acton also has higher median income than Newton and Brookline according to the 2016 estimate on city data. I would take that with a few grains of salt though since living in a town and buying a SFH in that town can be very different things.

Some of the gap is explained by the higher renter population and smaller % of families as compared to Acton. Natick and Burlington have a lot more renters than Acton and have a smaller percentage of families with kids.
There are 3% more renters in Natick than in Acton. The median income is ~40% higher.

But, the overall point makes sense and is definitely true. That is, income levels of those who own a SFH in Newton will generally be higher than that of a SFH owner in Acton. At the very least, for folks who are buying outside of the family.

Old 03-11-2019, 11:17 AM

880 posts, read 819,334 times
Quote:

Newton has a high senior population which skews incomes

Old 03-11-2019, 01:58 PM

73 posts, read 61,994 times
High Tax Suburb Towns better have Top Ranking Schools
Low Tax Suburb towns surprisingly not "hot" markets right now:

Norwood: $10.89/100K
Stoneham $11.22/100K

Towns similar to Acton

Bolton $20.47/$100K
Sharon $19.41
(Acton $19.37)
HOlliston $18.83
Millis $18.70
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts