Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2019, 06:26 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,332,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post

Lots of crazy stuff in suburban schools too.. but this case is insane
Yea, like a higher incidence of mass shootings compared to urban schools. And that's a lot more insane than an ankle bracelet
https://www.dailyherald.com/news/201...burban-america

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post

My parents moved us to Concord, MA for a better quality of education and upbringing.

1. Safer than the city. I walked and biked to and from the schools by myself without any problems.
Probably not statistically safer for kids, the #1 killer of teens is teens being in cars when other teens are driving. Something that is far more common in car-dependent suburbia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
5. We were able to keep our childhood sense of wonder intact longer.
Some might call that "sheltered", whereas urban kids gain independence and confidence at a younger age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2019, 08:16 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,805,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semiurbanite View Post

Some might call that "sheltered", whereas urban kids gain independence and confidence at a younger age.
Kids in the suburbs tend to only stay in the basement and play video games or get into deadly car accidents. Urban kids attend high society events like art gallery openings, museums, theater and arts, trombone festivals and other highly enriching activities every single day of the week. There is zero benefit to having a family in the suburbs. Imagine having to grow up in Belmont or Concord? What a closed minded and cruel way to raise poor sheltered children.

Old 03-29-2019, 08:20 PM

880 posts, read 818,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
Kids in the suburbs tend to only stay in the basement and play video games or get into deadly car accidents. Urban kids attend high society events like art gallery openings, museums, theater and arts, trombone festivals and other highly enriching activities every single day of the week. There is zero benefit to having a family in the suburbs. Imagine having to grow up in Belmont or Concord? What a closed minded and cruel way to raise poor sheltered children.
Its really hard for me to tell if this is sarcastic or not

Old 03-29-2019, 08:22 PM

2,365 posts, read 1,850,974 times
Quote:

Concord is a mad nice town to grow up in lol you are thinking of milford or framingham

Old 03-29-2019, 08:36 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,805,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
Concord is a mad nice town to grow up in lol you are thinking of milford or framingham
I really don't think you understand the value of living in a vibrant walkable urban community. As long as you can put down like $700k or so for a 2 bedroom apartment that hasn't been updated since the Truman administration, you will unlock the doors to an unrivaled level of socioeconomic diversity. Those dreary suburbs don't have that! And imagine having to subject your kids to an low occupancy internal combustion engine powered vehicle to get them to their soccer practices. Instead you can send them off on an MBTA bus so they can gain independence. Independence that will directly translate into a successful future.

I don't have any sources but this line of thinking is just common sense.

Old 03-29-2019, 10:10 PM

14,012 posts, read 14,998,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post
Its really hard for me to tell if this is sarcastic or not
If you’ve ever been to a BSO show or a gallery opening you would know i he was serious or not

Old 03-30-2019, 08:25 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,940,305 times
Quote:

Belmont and Concord would be vastly different experiences. Concord is out there, and full of lots of green space. Belmont and you're in Harvard Square in no time. I, and many of my peers, spent most of our time in Harvard Square and spending time in Boston working (worked at Out of Town News when a youngish teen putting together papers on the weekend, my first job post paper route age) or going to shows. It was just a short bus ride away. I think the Belmont/Arlington/etc would be a vastly preferred place for kids because of that, but in reality, its just a different experience.

I know you were trying, poorly, to be funny, but these two places aren't comparable due to the ability of the Belmont and its inner ring residents to be able to spend a lot of time in the city and not have to be reliable on cars. Yes, being able to take the T or bike independently to where you want to go is a giant advantage.

Old 03-30-2019, 08:57 AM

23,569 posts, read 18,672,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Belmont and Concord would be vastly different experiences. Concord is out there, and full of lots of green space. Belmont and you're in Harvard Square in no time. I, and many of my peers, spent most of our time in Harvard Square and spending time in Boston working (worked at Out of Town News when a youngish teen putting together papers on the weekend, my first job post paper route age) or going to shows. It was just a short bus ride away. I think the Belmont/Arlington/etc would be a vastly preferred place for kids because of that, but in reality, its just a different experience.

I know you were trying, poorly, to be funny, but these two places aren't comparable due to the ability of the Belmont and its inner ring residents to be able to spend a lot of time in the city and not have to be reliable on cars. Yes, being able to take the T or bike independently to where you want to go is a giant advantage.

After seeing what happened to many of those kids who spent most of their weekends hanging around in Harvard Square, I'm not sure that's necessarily a good thing. No, there is no perfect answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts