Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2019, 02:14 PM

110 posts, read 107,745 times

Advertisements

Just how bad is the airport's noise in East Boston?
Any other info about Eastie most appreciated (is it really up and coming - seems like it would be the only place for room to grow a la South Boston!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2019, 03:34 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,579,348 times
Don't have a lot of experience in Eastie. I can say I did work in South Boston at one time and I found the constant noise and vibration from the flights stressful.

Old 04-10-2019, 10:20 AM

5,161 posts, read 11,397,315 times
https://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/...rts-of-boston/
There are couple of maps that show the noisiest areas, hope this helps.

forum rules, please read them

Old 04-10-2019, 11:33 AM

15,677 posts, read 20,170,578 times
Depends on which way they are taking off and landing. Planes have gotten much quieter in the last few decades, but you are still in proximity to jets taking off and landing, so you can't escape the noise. Do you learn to ignore it? Maybe. I lived in that area for over 20 years and learned to tune it out

Old 04-10-2019, 06:08 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,663,476 times
Landings are much quieter than take offs. That said, if you live close enough to the airport, it's going to be loud on days that take offs occur in your vicinity. There's really no way to escape it.

Old 04-10-2019, 07:12 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,208,816 times
Jeffries point and Maverick aren't over a flight path, so that part of eastie is pretty quiet. It's also the most expensive part of eastie.

Old 04-10-2019, 07:51 PM

23,058 posts, read 18,187,880 times
Many homes in Eastie are soundproofed.

Old 04-16-2019, 02:20 PM

2,908 posts, read 5,119,929 times
The Boston Herald had a front-page story this past Sunday about some residents in... Medford...complaining about plane noise. So if it's noticeable there, parts of East Boston are afflicted also -- of course!

Planes take off, depending on the wind, as early as about 5:05 a.m. And well after midnight to almost 1 a.m., though I thought Logan has a curfew for takeoffs (with certain exceptions). After 11:30 p.m., the plane take offs are sporadic and spread out, not every two minutes or less during peak times.

The noisy flight path from Logan over Chelsea into Medford and Somerville likely impacts parts of East Boston. Sort of near the Walgreens off Meridian Street near Shaw's, I think.

Yes, I've heard that jet noise is now not as loud in the last decade or more, but I don't believe it -- at all. I've had OCD for decades over plane noise in the Boston area, both takeoffs and landings. I am so stressed from both. Even when I see them far in the distance, with no noise, I get stressed, upset and angry. Juvenile, selfish and immature? Probably, but it's an irrational mental health issue. One probably does NOT get used to it if OCD is part of the recipe.

I was sitting at South Bay Mall in Dorchester at 6 a.m. today and suddenly the winds changed and planes began to roar overhead, every two minutes. I was napping but was startled when the noise started and woke me up. And the expensive Seaport area gets slammed with takeoff noise, something newcomers may not expect.

As mentioned above by another poster, South Boston has plane noise issues, both takeoffs and landings. It's not pleasant to stroll Castle Island for me during takeoffs. It's so close to Logan, so no surprise, but I think it can still catch newcomers off guard as many may think only East Boston and Winthrop residents could ever be impacted.

Milton has a #saveourskies campaign the past few years now due to changes in the flight path. Milton reportedly generates the most noise complaints at MassPort. The Patriot Ledger had a three-part feature last year on Milton plane noise issues. So it's all real to some people, despite most likely not caring or noticing.

South End, Roxbury, Roslindale, West Roxbury are on the same flight path and noise can be noticeable to sensitive ears.

I can't even sit in a parking lot in Salem without noticing the plane noise there! Even in parts of Charlestown, Watertown, Cambridge, Newton, Belmont.

But in talking to many people in these impacted areas over the years, it seems that plane noise is NOT an issue with most people, as they get used to it or don't even notice it. Perhaps it's only those with anxiety or OCD issues who'll complain. If you're sensitive, perhaps parts of East Boston are not for you?

Old 04-16-2019, 07:06 PM

5,161 posts, read 11,397,315 times
Planes used to be more spread out. Now with "Next Gen", implemented a few years ago, some areas practically have an airplane highway above them. So some areas have gotten more quiet, while others have non stop noise. This is a problem across the country. There are a few law suits reg. this, so be very careful when selecting where to rent, or even more so, if you buy.

forum rules, please read them

Old 05-06-2019, 08:05 PM

115 posts, read 317,885 times
I lived around Orient Heights for a year or so, and my husband for about 5 years. But as a native small-town Floridian take what I have to say with a grain of salt.

To answer your question, the planes near Orient Heights, on the west side of Bennington St. never bothered us. We heard them bit a few times a day but it wasn't much. It was never too loud or uncomfortable. Plus our apt had huge insulation issues (ie, there was almost none), so if it were loud, we would have known.

Is it up and coming? I think in a way, yes it is out of necessity. Mainly because people are being priced out of apartments closer to Boston. Some of East Boston is very crowded, and a part of the city I'd never want to live (think Maverick). Plus it can get pretty sketch in parts around Maverick and the airport. But little Orient Heights area felt like more of a breath of fresh air from the overcrowding. I'd certainly add Beachmont and Suffolk downs to that sentiment too. Plus, almost anywhere you go your never too far from a beach.

Just in case you rely on the good old *cough, cough* mbta, I thought I'd give my 2 cents. The blue line is far superior imo than any other train lines when its running well. My commute from downtown to Orient Heights would have had most Bostonian's drooling. Maybe 20 minutes if they had trouble closing the doors at Maverick. Actually, the vast majority of people get in on Maverick, so if you live further down the line it's much easier to find a seat. It has the cleanest feel too. However, when the blue line breaks.. its the worst line imo. Other lines you can scurry by and catch a bus, walk, or take a reasonable Uber ride. But the Blue line? You might catch the 450 bus if your lucky....otherwise you either take a bus into Chelsea and go around, or call an Uber. If you need an Uber you compete with customers from the airport and some major off-time surcharges. I've had multiple times where the blue line stops: No information. And hundreds of people are scrambling in Maverick to find a way home and/or to town. Its chaotic. So you take a bit of a gamble. But again, when it runs well, which is most of the time, its the best line!

Oh, and great latin food. If you stop by, try Angela's Cafe or Donna's. Mmm.

Actually, does anyone know what they are doing with Suffolk Downs area? Are they going to change it? What about the area on Revere Beach Pkwy next to the Holiday in by Beachmont? This might affect the area a bit upcoming in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts