Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 09:31 AM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmassphd View Post
I will add to this great suggestion. In addition to desktop full spectrum lights, right aroudn the Fall equinox, you could also invest in changing every single bulb in your house to full spectrum lightbulbs. Then, once Spring equinox rolls around, put back in the regular bulbs and store the full spectrum ones (they cost more, so it saves to swap in/out).

I grew up in MA and spent most of my life there, although I currently no longer live there (but will return in near future). Anyway, while it is not S.A.D. I used to get that beaten down feeling towards the tail end of winter where the 3 weeks of punishing cold conspires with the many hours of darkness wearing down your well being. Someone made a great suggestion to me which was to make it a point to find and participate in winter activities, some of which get you outside. It could be as simple as buying an inexpensive sled, finding a hill in a park, and sliding down it...wheeeee! It could be going to various expos (home show, auto show, flower show, dog show, whatever) and museum (science, art, natural history) and events (college musicals, professional shows, etc.) or even stroll around different towns to see the holiday lights, go to thanksgiving events, halloween events, Hanukka events, joint a Bowling team, see a college or pro hockey game, etc. If you like animals, volunteer at an animal shelter, they could certainly use and will appreciate the help. Volunteer at a food pantry or homeless shelter, helping others always makes one feel great.

Get out, do stuff uniquely tied to winter and it tends to pivot your thinking to one of eager anticipation instead of one of dread.

Hope this is helpful.
Not many people have mentioned taking Vitamin D supplements. I start taking those at the end of October and stop taking them by the beginning of April. The intense sunlight starts bothering me by May until I finally am able to adjust to very intense solar radiation. However, I much prefer being outside on the trails or on slopes during winter. Unfortunately, I live in a region of the US with horrid winters, meaning 30s and 40s for high temperatures but with massive amounts of rainfall and not much snow. I much prefer large amounts of snowfall and little rain in the winter. Also, I hibernate in the summer as I can't stand heat and humidity. Summer temperatures Up North are infinitely superior to anything from the middle portion of the US southward...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2019, 09:41 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Summer temperatures Up North are infinitely superior to anything from the middle portion of the US southward...

I lived and worked in Evansville IN and down through Madisonville and Dawson Springs KY areas for several years during summers (mostly summers) and it was straight up hell on earth.

Old 04-25-2019, 05:13 AM

649 posts, read 816,541 times
OP I highly rcommend you have your thyroid levels checked. I too have a low body temp and seasonal patterns to my energy level. It is related to my hypothyroidism. While I have moved away from Boston to somewhere with short winters, it is much grayer here year round. I have had to resort to the SAD light in an attempt not to fall into a complete pit of inactivity. So I do understand, but I would never have thought I had “SAD,” I just chalked it up to evolutionary human activity patterns.

The most brutal part to the long Boston winter, imho, is the super short days due to daylight (or not daylight) savings time. Being on the eastern edge of the eastern time zone means that it is bright daylight at 4am while you are asleep. Most people’s bodies need those daylight hours. Having moved to the far western edge of EST I can say that having an extra hour of daylight at the end of my day, and having daylight until 6pm in the winter is TREMENDOUSLY helpful.

Anecdotally my friend who has moved from Boston to Hawaii says that the much longer photo period has basically erased her need for an antidepressant.

Old 04-25-2019, 07:02 AM

7 posts, read 5,616 times
I can totally relate. I am the exact same way and no matter what I do every winter, it still happens. It's just my physiological makeup. When it rains in the spring, summer or fall I feel it again briefly. (There's something called The Highly Sensitive Person, which is backed by research that might be something you relate to. It very much helped me understand myself and why I'm affected by things so much more than others.)

Some things help a bit (light therapy helps my motivation, exercise helps but wears off after the day), but it still sucks for 3 months, maybe more every winter. I am from Texas, so I feel like I will never get used to these winters. Couple that with being a stay-at-home mom and having 2 young kids the whole 5 years of living here and it's pretty rough. One mom I knew from Alabama that lived up here summed it up well: "life doesn't have to be this hard, people!".

Doing outdoor activities may help but if you have real SAD it only moderately helps for the moment. The underlying pain is always there! I am so good about taking care of myself and knowing that it's just the weather and it will pass, but it still makes things pretty miserable.

As soon as mid-March hits, it lifts. I almost feel euphoric. I know that most people aren't this extreme. And when they think they get it because they mildly experience not liking winter, it's not even close to the same.

I would like to eventually move as well, but my husband's job keeps us here. There's just no other place in the US that has the jobs (except CA) that Boston does for his line of work.

I will say that when I think of moving back to Texas, then there are other things that used get me down. Houston, as a city is kind of depressing. The urban sprawl and lack of outdoor beauty can get to you after awhile. What can I say? I'm affected too much by my environment and nothing is perfect. Maybe another place with seasons and beauty, but not as far north as Boston. I will not stay here more than another 2 years. Like others said, life is too short and it is not worth it, no matter how amazing the summer and fall is.

When you have kids and responsibilities, you can't just travel and vacation all winter.

I wish you the best of luck and know that you aren't the only one.

Old 04-25-2019, 07:12 AM

7 posts, read 5,616 times
@thenewtexas . Interesting. I'm from Houston and the one place my husband could find a suitable job in Texas is in San Antonio. Being from Houston, I worry that San Antonio is too small, but I know it's grown and maybe it's the perfect mix. Houston is a little busy and crazy. I know summers are hot, but they don't come with the snow and depression that winters here do. Nice to know you like it so much.

Old 04-25-2019, 07:51 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,258,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amrp07 View Post
@thenewtexas . Interesting. I'm from Houston and the one place my husband could find a suitable job in Texas is in San Antonio. Being from Houston, I worry that San Antonio is too small, but I know it's grown and maybe it's the perfect mix. Houston is a little busy and crazy. I know summers are hot, but they don't come with the snow and depression that winters here do. Nice to know you like it so much.
It's really grown A LOT in the last ten years. When I first arrived, it seems like it was all about suburban sprawl, and although it's still sprawling they're really cleaning up a lot of previously undesirable neighborhoods inside 410, lots of modern, urban condos, apartments, retail, etc. So much life now compared to back then. It would have been unrecognizable.

Old 04-26-2019, 03:47 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,463,862 times
We have no sunshine in sight for the next ten days. Winter just won’t let go. I’m noticing my SAD more now because it’s completely different on days when it’s sunny- I’m productive at work and home. I’m happy and joking and social again.

Then there’s the cloudy, wet, rainy days. I struggle just to stay at work, frequent urges to just go home.

How can sunshine effect my mood this much. I have a good life, it makes me frustrated to feel this way.

Old 04-26-2019, 07:11 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,283,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaleyRocks View Post
We have no sunshine in sight for the next ten days. Winter just won’t let go. I’m noticing my SAD more now because it’s completely different on days when it’s sunny- I’m productive at work and home. I’m happy and joking and social again.

Then there’s the cloudy, wet, rainy days. I struggle just to stay at work, frequent urges to just go home.

How can sunshine effect my mood this much. I have a good life, it makes me frustrated to feel this way.
We had some gorgeous weather this week too, though, to be fair. Driving home from work the other day, there were TONS of people out on the rail trails and bike paths -- running, biking, walking dogs enjoying the sunshine and mild weather.

Old 04-26-2019, 07:48 AM

787 posts, read 780,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizcuit View Post
We had some gorgeous weather this week too, though, to be fair. Driving home from work the other day, there were TONS of people out on the rail trails and bike paths -- running, biking, walking dogs enjoying the sunshine and mild weather.
Yeah I am really anxious to get back out on my bike.

I like to do the Hudson/Marlborough rail trail every now and then. This rain sucks.

Old 04-26-2019, 08:20 AM

604 posts, read 561,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaleyRocks View Post

This is how I feel as well. New England spring is awful. I don’t mind dec-feb since you will at least get some stretches of sunny days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts