Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2019, 05:13 PM

3 posts, read 3,326 times

Advertisements

What type of salary do I need to live here comfortably? No kids, looking for a studio or 1 BR. My current rent where I’m from is below 1200. I know I’ll have to pay more but still would like to find the most affordable nice apartment. I’m willing to live up to 30 min away (with traffic) as well if that helps any. Preferably closer to the Boston side but it’s not a must.

Bonus: what’s the area like? Must do things? Must see? Must eat?

Thanks for any suggestions!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2019, 05:43 PM

604 posts, read 561,106 times
First off, avoid Lawrence

Tewksbury, Andover, N Andover are all fine, boxford is good but more of a family town. If you can find a nice unit around Andover Centre, that’s the most walkable and best for catching the commuter rail to Boston.

Things to do - eat plenty of good food and check out boutique shops around Andover Centre, go into Boston in 40 minutes, shop tax free in New Hampshire, take in D1 college hockey and other sports at Merrimack College or Umass Lowell, head over to the Cape Ann beaches in the summer.. others will have plenty of suggestions.

Just winging it, I think you’d want to make at least 75k to be pretty comfortable up there.

Old 04-17-2019, 05:44 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,231,152 times
Ehh, i'm not sure I would bother being closer to Boston if the commute doesn't require yet, especially since that budget isn't huge. Anything closer to Boston commands a premium.

I'd take a look at Lowell or Haverhill. Downtown Andover or parts of North Andover you could look at too. Andover is a very nice suburban town, North Andover too. Lawrence i'd avoid. Lowell is a city, with city problems but also amenities (lots of bars/restaurants etc). Haverhill is a little smaller than Lowell, and nothing fancy but a solid small city.

Old 04-17-2019, 06:36 PM

110 posts, read 110,127 times
Haverhill, North Andover, Lawrence, and Lowell have beautiful re-purposed lofts. Dh and I are considering Lowell, having lived in a tony coastal town for many years. Incredible food,cultural diversity, UMass Lowell, commuter rail to Boston in 30 minutes, a very rich environment if you don't mind living in a former mill town. Here's a link to what we're looking at, but there are plenty of choices: https://www.livejacksonstreet.com Lofts 71 and 109 are the newest in this group.

Old 04-17-2019, 07:11 PM

663 posts, read 1,863,398 times
I think that Choosing Lowell is your best bet. I don’t see what Boston has that Lowell doesn’t. Cheaper and better ethnic food, real diversity, a river, parks, university etc. Ok Boston has an airport and more buildings etc but it is also much pricier. Tewksbury is a transition town between the city (Lowell) and Andover, which is a well-off and somewhat high-strung town with both old money and new money. All three are about 25 to 30 minutes north of the Boston metropolitan area (assuming no traffic, which is getting worse and worse). So I would choose to live in Greater Lowell / Merimack Valley area. You can always visit the Boston metro area on weekends as it is not too far away from Andover / Tewksbury / Lowell etc.

Old 04-17-2019, 08:10 PM

604 posts, read 561,106 times
I repeat, do not go to Lawrence. I hope it gets to where Lowell is, and beyond, but there’s still a long road to hoe.

Realistically it’s more like 45 minutes to Boston from this area, depending where you start. If you started at Ballardvale in Andover and could get right on 93 with no traffic, you could hit the city line in about 20 mins in no traffic, but that’s an edge case.

Old 04-17-2019, 08:18 PM

20 posts, read 17,885 times
First think to know is that 30 mintues as the crow flies is not the same thing as 30 minutes from work during commuting hours. A 45 min drive with no traffic is a 90 min commute for me to get into the city. One way.

Housing: you need to make 6 figures or you need to have 6 roommates.

Old 04-18-2019, 01:15 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,136,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polly2019 View Post

Housing: you need to make 6 figures or you need to have 6 roommates.
Not if they're living in Lowell or Nashua - plenty of decent rentals in the the sub-1.5k/mo range.

Old 04-18-2019, 02:12 PM

3 posts, read 3,326 times
If anyone can link me some sub 1500 rents i would greatly appreciate it. Having a hard time finding some that are decent honestly.

Old 04-19-2019, 05:10 PM

110 posts, read 110,127 times
I sent you a pm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts