Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 08:18 PM

26,637 posts, read 28,438,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
And economic opportunity.
Well, we're always hearing about how Springfield is going to be generating all new jobs that are just down rte 91, there for the taking.

And sorry, to hear that Northampton is "tired" now. I left in 2000 but I still enjoy going back for the bookstores and restaurants. I noticed Faces is still there. I miss it the way it used to be, I miss the Sun Tan Man who used to stand on the corner in shorts all winter. I hope State St Fruit Store is still there. What will be the next phase for Northampton? Before gentrification in the '80s it was blue collar plus Smith College. Town and gown with some middle class. That was before family and friends were "gentrified" out.

I wouldn't live in metro west or in Boston if you paid me! But there are places in EMass that are just as good, if not better than Northampton --and Newburyport is one of them! Same vibe PLUS Ocean.

IF these jobs in Springfield ever materialize, maybe Northampton can return to more of what it used to be and more people of average income can afford to live there--commuting to their jobs down 91. Taking a looooong time to happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2019, 08:24 PM

1,025 posts, read 1,516,234 times
Sadly, Faces is not still there.

https://www.wwlp.com/news/local-news...sed/1895897054

Old 05-14-2019, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCMA View Post
Noooooooooooooooooooooo!

Then there is no reason to go to Northampton anymore. I could swear I was in there back in March when I had a few extra minutes--everything seemed normal and I almost bought some stuff. They had things that you would never find anywhere else. What a fun store--no other store like it anywhere. It was called Faces of Earth in Amherst, located near The Mercantile, which was the second best store in the world back in the '70s.

Northampton is truly on the way out then. In that case, bring back Woolworth's and McCrory's. And that leather goods store with the old guy in the apron who actually made the shoes!!!!!

Smith College green houses are still there, Smith College museum still there, Flo's Diner still there, Look Park, Child's Park. Joe's Pizza?

I hear that Southampton is now wealthy, not just a sleepy, gorgeous rural town now. Things change. I hate that Faces is gone, but thanks for the news, FCMA.

Old 05-14-2019, 09:12 PM

7,912 posts, read 7,738,362 times
Faces is also owned by the Hannoush. They opened faces at the Hampshire mall. They also own Giftology which is closing. But... They are running a jewlery store at mgm.

In retail you have to have volume and frankly smaller towns and locations might not have enough.

Old 05-14-2019, 09:24 PM

1,127 posts, read 1,246,200 times
If you work in health care or academics there are plenty of jobs.

Old 05-14-2019, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Faces is also owned by the Hannoush. They opened faces at the Hampshire mall. They also own Giftology which is closing. But... They are running a jewlery store at mgm.

In retail you have to have volume and frankly smaller towns and locations might not have enough.
Faces of Earth (original name of Faces) has been going since 1971. They did great for all those years and Northampton is no small town. (It's a very small city.)

Things change. It had to happen someday. I think those of us who saw Northampton in its glory years were fortunate. It was quite a transformation but now maybe the excitement will be in Springfield again. Although, for the life of me, I can't picture it yet.

Old 05-15-2019, 06:26 AM

24,509 posts, read 17,979,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

I wouldn't live in metro west or in Boston if you paid me! But there are places in EMass that are just as good, if not better than Northampton --and Newburyport is one of them! Same vibe PLUS Ocean.

IF these jobs in Springfield ever materialize, maybe Northampton can return to more of what it used to be and more people of average income can afford to live there--commuting to their jobs down 91. Taking a looooong time to happen.
Off topic but Newburyport isn’t exactly affordable. It was on my list when I landed in Portsmouth NH for a decade. Unless you’re in the gritty part of Gloucester, there isn’t much affordable left on the North Shore.

I know several physicians and health care management people who do the Northampton to Springfield commute. Walkable to the center of town is now pretty pricey for Western Massachusetts. I don’t see that changing since people place really high value on walkability score. I lived there for a bit in the mid 90s when it was less pricey. “Average income” is never going to move to that part of Northampton.

Old 05-15-2019, 06:50 AM

41,940 posts, read 36,720,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCMA View Post
In addition to Flywheel - - Gateway City Arts, Parlor Room, Hawks & Reed, Root Cellar, Stone Church all get some great artists coming through. The Iron Horse suite of venues have precipitously declined in the past decade though. Iron Horse itself is the only one that still has a consistently full calendar.

I like Hawk and Reed, Root Cellar, and Stone Church, but those are Greenfield and Brattleboro and in no way would I consider them Northampton area, personally. If you are just talking about Western MA in general, sure, there are loads of cool places, like that restaurant/show space I'm blanking on right now. Ugh, hate when that happens.

Edit: Dream Away Lodge, that's it

Last edited by timberline742; 05-15-2019 at 07:09 AM..

Old 05-15-2019, 07:07 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,261,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Noooooooooooooooooooooo!

Then there is no reason to go to Northampton anymore. I could swear I was in there back in March when I had a few extra minutes--everything seemed normal and I almost bought some stuff. They had things that you would never find anywhere else. What a fun store--no other store like it anywhere. It was called Faces of Earth in Amherst, located near The Mercantile, which was the second best store in the world back in the '70s.

Northampton is truly on the way out then. In that case, bring back Woolworth's and McCrory's. And that leather goods store with the old guy in the apron who actually made the shoes!!!!!

Smith College green houses are still there, Smith College museum still there, Flo's Diner still there, Look Park, Child's Park. Joe's Pizza?

I hear that Southampton is now wealthy, not just a sleepy, gorgeous rural town now. Things change. I hate that Faces is gone, but thanks for the news, FCMA.
It closed very recently. It's very possible it was still here when you were here last. Apparently they are planning to reopen in a mall somewhere (can't remember where).

Old 05-15-2019, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizcuit View Post
It closed very recently. It's very possible it was still here when you were here last. Apparently they are planning to reopen in a mall somewhere (can't remember where).
I hope they do re-open--someone said the Hampshire Mall? It won't be the same though. It's not downtown and it's not even in Northampton.

GeoffD, Right. Newburyport is unaffordable (but wonderful.) However if you look hard enough there are places in neighboring Salisbury and even a bit inland in Amesbury. I could never afford Newburyport either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts