Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 03:17 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,321,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
North Quincy is ahead of Andover, North Andover and even......Natick high!! Noooooo! Lol
Quincy was also up there in the GDP numbers someone posted last week...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2019, 03:26 PM

9,916 posts, read 15,482,556 times
It's North Quincy that is the better high school, not Quincy High.

Old 04-30-2019, 03:34 PM

9,784 posts, read 7,046,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcomber4 View Post
I was surprised by the top 100 nationally. Only one MA high school made the cut. The top 7 feature one high school in Maine, but most were in the South.
That school in Maine is a public residential school magnet school that focuses on STEM. There are less than 140 students and they live on campus. It's pretty much a boarding school with free tuition and the families are responsible for room and board. All the teachers have at least a Master's and many have Doctorates and the ratio is something like 9:1.

It's a great model but not one that is easily replicated.

Old 04-30-2019, 04:14 PM

28 posts, read 28,917 times
I looked at the national rankings and saw a lot of schools in Georgia ranked very high. I don't completely understand their methodology, but can say, in my experience, that there is NO way these schools in the South are better than schools in Mass.

Old 04-30-2019, 05:41 PM

307 posts, read 161,240 times
I can't take these rankings seriously when they include charter/magnet school and exam schools. Sure, you can have great scores when you pick and choose your students.

Also, socioeconomic profile is more telling than racial makeup of a district. It's not necessarily the money but areas/towns with more affordable housing and social services usually have a much higher number of high needs students(i.e. learning disabilities, behavior issues, interrupted education from moving around a lot). In contrast, solidly middle class and wealthy areas have kids who attended good preschools, get tutoring if needed, are usually involved in enrichment activities outside of school, etc. Students with disabilities that come from a family with financial resources are also more likely to receive private services in speech/language, OT/PT, ABA, etc. so there may be much more progress due to reinforcement and practice of skills outside of school.

Now here comes the non-PC part. Would I send my kids to the lower performing districts or those with troubled schools? No. Because their resources are stretched to the limit. The "regular" students often get less attention and enrichment which limits their learning opportunities. Bear in mind, I am NOT talking about the "average" schools that actually quite good but don't have the hype like Grafton, Reading, Ashland, Franklin, Bellingham, etc

This is just my opinion but it is what I have experienced being in the educational psychology & teaching field for over 16 years in Mass,

Last edited by OtterTrees; 04-30-2019 at 05:50 PM..

Old 04-30-2019, 05:59 PM

79 posts, read 85,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diosa78 View Post
I looked at the national rankings and saw a lot of schools in Georgia ranked very high. I don't completely understand their methodology, but can say, in my experience, that there is NO way these schools in the South are better than schools in Mass.
I would take this list with a grain of salt. US News does not even consider SAT scores for its national ranking of public high schools. How can you rank "college readiness" without looking at SAT scores? Massachusetts has the highest average SAT scores in the Nation. US News looks primarily at pass rates on state-wide exams like MCAS (with some consideration to AP and IB). State exams and state standards are not consistent across the Nation. I'd venture to guess that MCAS is a more stringent exam than the standardized tests in most other states and also tougher to pass.

IMO, this ^^^ explains why MA schools don't rank higher. Only completely removing SAT scores from the data altogether and factoring in tougher MCAS standards could explain why a school like Acton-Boxborough, with the highest SAT scores in MA (non-charter), ranks only 765th in the nation and 30th in MA according to US News.

https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...onal-high-9258

https://prepexpert.com/average-sat-scores-state/

https://ssatmaster.com/2019-top-sat-...-high-schools/

https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...setts/rankings

Last edited by Idontwanttocheckmymessage; 04-30-2019 at 06:08 PM..

Old 04-30-2019, 06:00 PM

9,916 posts, read 15,482,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diosa78 View Post
Some of the schools in the Atlanta suburbs are pretty good. Probably not so good in other areas in Georgia.

Old 04-30-2019, 07:54 PM

5,774 posts, read 5,059,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
It's North Quincy that is the better high school, not Quincy High.
That’s because qh has the vocational and trades program. Nq is much more academic and more heavily Asian.

Old 04-30-2019, 08:36 PM

28 posts, read 28,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Some of the schools in the Atlanta suburbs are pretty good. Probably not so good in other areas in Georgia.
I am from metro Atlanta and went to one of these high ranking schools. My nieces and nephews go to these schools and NO way are they better than the average Mass school.

Old 04-30-2019, 10:57 PM

279 posts, read 312,129 times
Amazing to see Hopkinton so high. I'm wondering how they have made that happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts