Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 12:18 PM

147 posts, read 150,858 times

Advertisements

Hi again,

Well, our house is finally going on the market here in the PNW next week! My husband starts his new job in Needham in a few weeks and we are hoping everything comes together for us to buy a house quickly in the area. Budget around 900K with some flexibility.

Husband has been out a few times now and likes Medfield best and also thought Sherborn was pretty. I like Westwood and Medfield from what I've read online and recommendations from family in the area. Also South Natick, which seems pricey right now.

In case we can't find what we want in those towns or we wind up getting less for our home here, I want to have a kind of next tier. Husband liked Ashland driving through, our relo person recommended (and so did people on this board) Holliston, and Norfolk seems to have pretty good schools as well.

Would you all mind commenting on any of those towns? Especially Ashland? School ratings seem pretty good but I can't find any info. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2019, 12:31 PM

622 posts, read 563,785 times
Why does it have to be South Natick? What about Natick center or other areas of Natick?

Here is 900k in Natick center. https://www.redfin.com/MA/Natick/34-...home/123995817

Old 05-02-2019, 12:44 PM

Beautiful home panchilly. We're looking for a little more rural environment though, hence South Natick.

Old 05-02-2019, 02:17 PM
r_p

230 posts, read 221,768 times
Medfield is nice (cheaper too). So are Holliston and Norfolk. The main issue is connectivity to Boston.

Ashland has a commuter rail station but it also has the Nyanza Superfund site close by.

South Natick is beautiful and lots are larger.

Good luck with your search.

Old 05-02-2019, 02:25 PM

965 posts, read 724,888 times
Maybe Southborough? Would give you the rural feeling (well, fancy-rural anyway) and great schools. It's a bit farther from Needham than Ashland, but is actually a shorter, more-direct commute to Boston than all 3 in the event that your career takes you there in the future. It's literally at the intersection of 495, the Mass Pike and Route 9 so is actually in a great commuter location to the major job centers in Eastern Mass.

Based on Google Maps at 4:20 pm, driving times from Needham to:

Ashland: 35 minutes
Holliston: 29 minutes
Norfolk: 34 minutes
Southborough: 44 minutes

That said, I've heard that traffic westbound has gotten insane in the last 10 years since I've lived there. My father still commutes from Northborough to Cambridge (Kendall) and it's usually 1:20 on the way home (vs. :40 at 5:30am)

EDIT: saw that you were not looking for other town suggestions but rather feedback on those 3. Sorry, misread your post. Anyway, I don't have much experience Holliston or Norfolk, but will say that Stone's Publick House in Ashland is awesome and I would be happy to have that as my local watering hole

Old 05-02-2019, 02:39 PM

Ok, I missed the info on the Ashland superfund site. It makes a little more sense now why it is so much less expensive. I'll still hit the Publick House though for sure

Love Southborough (and Westborough!) but I just think that commute would kill my husband over time. We're a little concerned about the schools in Norfolk, particularly the King Philip high school? But I love the rural feel of both Holliston and Norfolk.

ETA: about my comment on the KP high school, I think my info may be dated. It's coming from my aunt who has lived in Newton for 30yrs...

Old 05-02-2019, 02:42 PM

10,015 posts, read 15,662,194 times
I'm sure you'd like Holliston much better than Ashland. I'm afraid it might be a pain to commute to Needham from there. I really like Medfield, though, I agree with your husband.

Old 05-02-2019, 02:50 PM

622 posts, read 563,785 times
To be honest Natick offers the best commute to Needham of all the towns listed. Natick also offers the best commute to the other job hubs in the area and has 2 commuter rail stops. Natick also has the best tax rate by far compared to the other towns. The tax savings alone could help you finance the South Natick home.

You might want to pay up and get into South Natick if that is your top choice (it sounds like it might be). South Natick will give you a great commute and give you commute options for the future if you should change jobs. It also is a really convenient location for amenities.

Old 05-02-2019, 03:04 PM

317 posts, read 331,652 times
The commute from Medfield to Needham is on a beautiful country rd with horse farms and greenery everywhere. IMO Norfolk is really great choice if your budget is 5-700k, but for $900k you could get a very nice house in Medfield with better schools. I love Norfolk and used to live there. The elementary schools are great but once you get to Middle and high school the district combines with Wrentham and Plainville. It’s not a horrible thing but many neighbors decided to go private after less than positive middle school experiences.

Old 05-02-2019, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECPCVC View Post
The commute from Medfield to Needham is on a beautiful country rd with horse farms and greenery everywhere. IMO Norfolk is really great choice if your budget is 5-700k, but for $900k you could get a very nice house in Medfield with better schools. I love Norfolk and used to live there. The elementary schools are great but once you get to Middle and high school the district combines with Wrentham and Plainville. It’s not a horrible thing but many neighbors decided to go private after less than positive middle school experiences.
This is great info, thanks so much! We have a middle schooler and a high schooler.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts