Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 10:04 AM

12,860 posts, read 22,021,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
But....Facebook dude!
Hahaha, the best (worst) is when I see photos or videos that moms/dads in the driver's seat take of their babies and small children in the back seat of what is clearly a moving vehicle. This pops up on my Facebook/Instagram/Snapchap a lot more than it should. Usually with a filter that makes the kid look like a puppy or like they're wearing glasses. Parents of the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2019, 10:14 AM

1,362 posts, read 873,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Hahaha, the best (worst) is when I see photos or videos that moms/dads in the driver's seat take of their babies and small children in the back seat of what is clearly a moving vehicle. This pops up on my Facebook/Instagram/Snapchap a lot more than it should. Usually with a filter that makes the kid look like a puppy or like they're wearing glasses. Parents of the year.
No kidding. It's amazing how many people have this as their profile picture on social media.

Old 05-16-2019, 10:20 AM

3,213 posts, read 2,120,946 times
I will never understand those damn animal face filters.

Old 05-16-2019, 10:30 AM

6,459 posts, read 7,795,049 times
Quote:
It's a great way to spend an afternoon with a younger family member. My niece taught me about it and felled very empowered while doing it. Fun time.

Aside from that, it's a head scratcher.

Old 05-16-2019, 10:31 AM

9,880 posts, read 7,209,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
Holding the phone in your hand isn't the problem -- it's the distraction of conversation, or reading, or texting, etc.

I often hold my phone in my hand while I'm using Waze, and this is far less intrusive on driving than it would be if I were holding a large, foldable map or an atlas.
Yep - I drive quite a bit in my job. I see dozens of people everyday with a phone up to their ear going under the speed limit in the left hand lane, trying to pull in and out of parking lots, et al and they are all pretty much unaware of their surroundings.

I use bluetooth 100% of the time.

Old 05-16-2019, 10:41 AM

12,860 posts, read 22,021,203 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
It's a great way to spend an afternoon with a younger family member. My niece taught me about it and felled very empowered while doing it. Fun time.

Aside from that, it's a head scratcher.
Yeah, apart from entertaining a young one (little kids do love it), I don't get it either. More confusing/jarring are the gender swap filters. Some guy created a Tinder account using it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post

I use bluetooth 100% of the time.
Same here. I have also made it pretty clear to family/friends/coworkers, etc. that I'm simply not going to be as responsive if I'm driving.

Old 05-16-2019, 02:30 PM

9,092 posts, read 6,314,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
This law will make things much more unambiguous. If you have a phone in your hand, you get pulled over and get a ticket, no questions asked. I am shocked there aren't more horrific accidents due to phone use. Every time some moron cuts me off on the road, sails through a cross walk, swerves into another lane, etc.; they invariably have a phone in their hand. The technology that will lock out the phone for the driver already exists, and I hope is implemented eventually. I'm generally not for this kind of big brother oversight, but it people are imbeciles with their phones.

I have come to believe that traffic is worse in part due to the cellphone use, handheld or otherwise. This law will help a little bit IF it is enforced. One glaring example of a distracted driver is when they fail to move as the car in front of them moves and I am seeing that all the time now in Massachusetts.

Old 05-16-2019, 02:50 PM

26,653 posts, read 28,677,767 times
It's about time! A few years ago I was rear ended in Framingham while sitting in line of traffic. I looked back and there's the guy standing outside on his phone (calling 911) but he was sort of laughing and told me it was a good thing he was already on his phone.

How can you NOT see a long line of traffic that's perfectly still? And come up behind them and ram into the last car? Because you are looking at your phone. I don't think the talking is the distraction but looking at it, holding it in one hand and trying to drive with the other hand.

Old 05-16-2019, 07:48 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,643,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post

Old 05-16-2019, 07:49 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,643,596 times
yay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts