Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 03:41 PM

279 posts, read 316,905 times

Advertisements

Our buy in Sherborn fell through. Been looking at a house in Southborough that's, according to Google Maps, ~1800' from the commuter rail, and about 3000' from the pike.

So, in general, how close is too close? The house is at 43 Constitution Dr, Southborough, MA 01772.

TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2019, 03:47 PM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times
You've got lots of trees to help block the sound. But with the right wind, you'll probably hear noises from both.

I suggest you go park on the street during rush hour and when the trains come by.

Old 05-23-2019, 04:11 PM

10,020 posts, read 15,665,421 times
I looked at the satellite pictures and it seems like the train is a good distance from the house. But like robr2 says, you need to check it out yourself.

Old 05-23-2019, 08:37 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,438,772 times
I would go check it out too. Do you spend a lot of time outside and do you like to keep your windows open in the warmer months? Some people are not bothered by noise, but some, me included, really are bothered by it. That is always the first thing I look at... roads, cut throughs, airports etc.

forum rules, please read them

Old 05-23-2019, 10:14 PM

162 posts, read 102,092 times
It's not the noise, it's the vibration when the doors and windows rattle.

Old 05-23-2019, 10:47 PM

2,710 posts, read 1,733,872 times
I lived a couple blocks from the commuter rail and we never noticed the train noise or vibration, and it never woke up our baby. Our friends and family noticed when they visited though. We had window AC units so the windows would technically be open during the summer. The annoying part was waiting to cross the road at the train crossings.

Old 05-24-2019, 05:19 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBThescot View Post
It's not the noise, it's the vibration when the doors and windows rattle.
That's more of an issue with freight trains. Does this line handle freight?

Old 05-24-2019, 08:10 AM

349 posts, read 320,987 times
It really depends, and there's no substitute for experiencing it yourself. I suggest seeing the place at between 4-7PM on a weekday.

Our house abuts the MBTA regional line, and it's been no problem living for the past few years. I checkout out a nice house abutting the same line 0.5 miles away, and found the noise difficult to deal with. Same trains and same line, but I think it's traveling at a faster speed at that location.

Old 05-24-2019, 08:28 AM

875 posts, read 663,995 times
Looks like you are about 1/2 mile from the pike which is probably right on the cusp of it being an issue or not depending on topography etc - should be ok. As others have said, check it out for yourself during rush hour, and maybe chat with neighbors to see if it gets any worse in the winter when the leaves are gone,....although you will be indoors then. Also, ask about if there is any freight trains on that line.

I would be far less accepting of any traffic noise if I was in a further out suburb like Sherborn or Southborough, because you have that option, than I would closer to Boston.

I was at a friends house a few weeks ago - two streets back from route 9 - and I could not believe how much background traffic noise there was.

Old 05-24-2019, 08:39 AM

622 posts, read 563,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyer2 View Post
Looks like you are about 1/2 mile from the pike which is probably right on the cusp of it being an issue or not depending on topography etc - should be ok. As others have said, check it out for yourself during rush hour, and maybe chat with neighbors to see if it gets any worse in the winter when the leaves are gone,....although you will be indoors then. Also, ask about if there is any freight trains on that line.

I would be far less accepting of any traffic noise if I was in a further out suburb like Sherborn or Southborough, because you have that option, than I would closer to Boston.

I was at a friends house a few weeks ago - two streets back from route 9 - and I could not believe how much background traffic noise there was.
+1

The further you go out the bigger a deal things like Traffic noise will be.

Where the OP is now, in east natick, he probably has some traffic noise from Rt 9 and major roads such as Oak or Bacon Street but people are generally willing to put up with a lot more noise in that location since it is substantially closer in than Southborough. When you go even further in, some areas of Newton and Brookline are amazingly noisy but given the close-in location people put up with it and those homes fly off the market where they would probably sit for a while due to the noise in Natick.

For Southborough, i think the home has to be pretty darn quiet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts