Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 11:33 AM

1 posts, read 10,784 times

Advertisements

Hi there. I am a young professional nurse who currently lives in Newton. I love it, but unfortunately I really can't afford to buy here. I previously lived in Brookline and also love that area. I have been looking in the Somerville, Chelsea, East Boston, and Winthrop areas.

I have heard that Chelsea is an up and coming area that is targeting "artsy" and "intellectual" young professionals to move in. Does anyone live in this city? What is it like? People have told me that I'm crazy to be looking here, but some of the condo's I have looked at seem so nice for the price. If anyone could offer me any information on this area or any of the area's I mentioned that would be great. I am looking in the 200-250K price range.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2006, 12:02 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,689,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonnurse98 View Post
Hi there. I am a young professional nurse who currently lives in Newton. I love it, but unfortunately I really can't afford to buy here. I previously lived in Brookline and also love that area. I have been looking in the Somerville, Chelsea, East Boston, and Winthrop areas.

I have heard that Chelsea is an up and coming area that is targeting "artsy" and "intellectual" young professionals to move in. Does anyone live in this city? What is it like? People have told me that I'm crazy to be looking here, but some of the condo's I have looked at seem so nice for the price. If anyone could offer me any information on this area or any of the area's I mentioned that would be great. I am looking in the 200-250K price range.

Thanks
Yes, I do agree Newton, and the Brookline area are real nice. Have you checked out Dedham or Norwood. Maybe even Weymouth,
or Plymouth.

Old 12-19-2006, 08:28 PM

133 posts, read 559,067 times
That's so funny.

I've heard Chelsea was up and coming for over 20 yrs and it's still no better then it was back then.

Just from the little bit you have said I'd suggest you stay out of Chelsea by the sea.

Just take a ride down town (during the day light) look up the crime stats and I think you will look else were.

Good Luck

Old 12-20-2006, 06:13 AM

1,810 posts, read 10,484,726 times
Never been to Chelsea. Chelsea being such a small area with such a high crime statistics is not a good sign. I think Qunicy is more up and coming than Chelsea. With waterfront and many development coming in the next few years. Check out Quincy. It has the red line going right into Boston.

Old 12-20-2006, 07:17 AM

639 posts, read 3,527,184 times
I came SO close to buying a condo myself in Chelsea several years ago. I was talked RIGHT out of it by so many people, thank God I didn't end up there, that's all I have to say! The crime stats are brutal there, you need to really pay attention to what people are telling you about that place because it IS pretty bad. It was always always up and coming through the years and THE place to buy for years and it's STILL got the high brutal crime stats to this very day, so it's still pretty bad around there. It certainly doesn't sound like it's going to get any better there either!

I personally always liked Winthrop a lot out of your choices. I know there's people that always liked the Governor's Park complex, but they used to be apartments when I remembered them living there, now they're condos. They certainly seem nice for the money. The thing about it is they have 24 hr. on site security and a swimming pool to boot plus they're about a mile to the beach. I wouldn't mind that myself. The only only thing I wouldn't like? Is the fact that it's such a large complex and an older one now, I get so nervous with so many people in one place and the smoking that goes on, I'd be a wreck with fires starting.

For the $$$ I think I'd want a newer updated smaller place with may be 1 or 2to 4 other units, at the most. So therefore, I'd be checking out East Boston because they have some real beauties with newer, upscale kitchens, hardwood floors, really quite nice renovated homes all through there. It would have to be close to the T, that's what you want to make sure about. Some of them have the porches, with basements and even laundry rooms etc..So I think with me, I'd be checking those out more than the larger condo complexes that they have in Winthrop. There are several in East Boston in your price range that you could check on. Go to realtor dot com to see what I mean.

GOOD LUCK, take your time and do your homework on them. Drive through at night randomly to see how it is, especially in the nice weather, that will be a good clue then. You want it to be in a quiet area because if you have groups of kids acting up? Forget about it, they can be a real pain OR they could be to your advantage too, you never know! For example, I lived in an apartment in Southie and the first week I moved there? Some kids came right to my door because I was selling my car and they said to me, if those people are bothering you, you let us know, we're right on the corner. I said, "Oh no I'm fine, I'm just selling my car, they're just looking at it!" I couldn't believe it. Do you know, I never had one problem from then on in all the years living there, I thought that was great that they were looking out for me! It's a little different though in East Boston now of course. There's all types of different ethnic groups there, more than ever. Take a ride through the whole area and see for yourself what you think, that's the only thing you can do. There's a really beautiful renovated area that is GREAT to live in, it's near the waterfront, so check that whole area out to see what you think. They have a lot of early 1900 renovated homes that they turned in to condos. Some of them appear to be on the 2nd & 3rd floor though, I'd be thinking twice about those places, BUT to each his own, you're young I bet and can deal with it! Make sure you do your homework on the different areas of East Boston to live in. There's some parts that are pretty nice, they've got some stunning places they're renovating and gutting right out, they're amazing, expensive, but I have to tell you, I've seen some in your price range that were pretty darn nice!

Old 03-01-2007, 11:03 AM

1 posts, read 10,752 times
Default bought a great house in Chelsea in 4/06

Hi bostonnurse98,

In April '06, I moved from an apartment in Brookline to a house on Powerhorn hill in Chelsea with a great view of the Boston skyline. At least in the area I live in, crime is nonexistent. I'm Caucasian and the area is largely Hispanic and Catholic; mostly they are very friendly to me. I have never felt threatened by anyone either walking from the train or from the 111 bus. The worst thing that I've seen in 10 months is a couple of very drunk and loud Boston Irish women on the 111 bus. Everyone else on the bus, Central Americans, Somalians, etc., were shaking their heads, embarrased for the women and a bit irritated. In the Chelsea I've seen, people seem to be interested in community and do not want any trouble.

The most difficult thing about living in Chelsea for me is that I have to pay more attention to my social life - which is mostly on the other side of the bridge. Otherwise it can get lonely. The Tobin bridge makes 3 miles seem like 10 sometimes.

-st2000

Old 03-05-2008, 02:30 PM

1 posts, read 10,250 times
Default Chelsea?????

Are you kidding me? Thinking about moving to Chelsea!! When you hear that a city or town is "up and coming" that is a nice way of saying some investors (that can afford to take a loss) have gambled that they can sell so many properties to unsuspecting people who don't realize that the city of chelsea is the arm pit of america. The cops are worse than the criminals. Living there could cost you your life. Things will never change there, do yourself a huge favor find a better place to live. It's a place overwhelmed with crime, transients, criminals, illegals, slum lords, and crooked policitians and crooked cops. Take a ride through the main street there any time of the day or night, you will see the prostitutes and phony store fronts for laundering money and fugitives. Unless you plan on never leaving your house, I'm sure it's not a place you would want to be, (if your a law abiding tax paying working class person). On a good day, you would just be a victim of a home invasion, car jacking, beating from the local cops, or come to find your car has been permanently borrowed. Just check out their sex offender registry, that should say enough.

Old 03-05-2008, 06:28 PM

45 posts, read 180,861 times
Its a dump. Plain and simple. If the worst thing that a previous poster has seen in 10 months is a couple of drunk white girls (and of course it's definitely the white irish girls that make Chelsea a dump) then he or she is living in the clouds (or has a condo they are trying to dump).

Old 03-07-2008, 10:12 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,369,579 times
Especially as an RN, with possible shift work (my situation also) I would never live in Chelsea. There's a small gentrified area and the rest is crap.
Where do you work? If you want to be accessible to the Orange/Red line, you might find a smaller condo in Malden/Medford. If you drive, remember that you have to consider safe parking and absurd car insurance (rates are set by town).
How about a modest condo in Arlington? Cheap car insurance, virtually no crime, totally accessible to Boston/Cambridge, easy access to highways to get outta town. You can always easily change jobs, too, if you live in a flexible location like Arlington. In Chelsea or anywhere along the east side of the coast, you're sort of cut off, like East Boston (and unfortunately, the very nice town of Winthrop).
If you buy in Chelsea 'shudder,' you're really stuck. Don't do it. Please.

Old 07-09-2008, 01:42 PM

4 posts, read 20,446 times
I've been in Chelsea for four years and only a fool would tell you it hasn't changed dramatically. Admiral's Hill is beautiful and the route 16 side is amazing as well. More construction projects are being done there than anywhere else in Boston. There are going to be about 1500 new people in that area alone. Those people are young and middle aged professionals, artists and so forth. I don't think large chains such as Home Depot, Chilis, CVS, etc.. including movie companies would be coming here if it was horrible. They have also started working in the downtown area. Sounds like there are a lot of RE agents on this site trying to downplay the area. Do your homework before you make negative comments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts