U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2019, 09:42 AM

13,465 posts, read 10,230,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakouretes View Post
The better toss up, as the topic suggests, is indeed Natick vs Burlington/Reading/Woburn
Natick vs. Burlington/Reading absolutely. Woburn is OK, but in a different category from those towns.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2019, 09:47 AM

601 posts, read 347,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
South Natick is such a chore to commute from though. It has the same disadvantages of Dover/Sherborn, etc. "You can't get there from here".
It's has a better commute than Dover and one of the posters said Dover has more value per dollar than Natick. This is a counter example to refute that. Dover is more expensive and a worse commute.

Old 07-08-2019, 10:37 AM

8,398 posts, read 12,713,339 times
No, Dover is not a worse commute.

Old 07-08-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
No, Dover is not a worse commute.
Oh yes it is.

Try google maps and you'll see.

Old 07-08-2019, 11:38 AM

4 posts, read 2,283 times
Weston/Dover has one aspect that not just Natick, but the vast majority of towns can never replicate. That being their ultra low density in the closest proximity to a major city anywhere in the world. In fact if I am to divest my own interest in these towns I would publicly call out their extreme NIMBY zoning as criminal, and hugely detrimental to the welfare of the whole region.

I wont dispute that Natick might one day approach the status of Needham, but Weston/Lincoln/Dover/Concord will remain some of the apex zip codes in the whole nation decades into the future. You simply can't lower a towns density once the grid is laid down; the dissolution of county government, the town meeting style government, and the snob bylaws guarded by state supermajority laws of these old money locales, working in conjunction have hoarded some of the most desirable land in greater Boston for the enjoyment of far too few people.

Should you look at any rankings of household income, Weston/Dover would always be perched high on the list, despite having lower apples-to-apples realty prices than a dozen neighborhoods at this point. At increasing levels of affluence, commute starts to matter less and less, as people start to dictate their own schedules/location of work or are driven to work. In fact many of the most expensive realty in this country are deep in the boondocks (Aspen, East Hamptons, Nantucket, Grand Teton, Pebble Beach, Tahoe etc)

As much as i would love to gripe about Weston/Dover, I would nonetheless wish to redirect the conservation back to Burlington, and possibly Westwood. I feel the correct pairings to analyse in terms of tier would be Framingham/Billerica/Dedham/Norwood, and then Natick/Reading/Burlington/Canton. Westwood is the outlier, while the rest can be best controlled for schools, vibe and housing stock quality; thus focusing on a true comparison of their relative merits of their location.

Old 07-08-2019, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Weston/Dover has one aspect that not just Natick, but the vast majority of towns can never replicate. That being their ultra low density in the closest proximity to a major city anywhere in the world. In fact if I am to divest my own interest in these towns I would publicly call out their extreme NIMBY zoning as criminal, and hugely detrimental to the welfare of the whole region.
The lot sizes are larger in Weston/Dover but the landscaped lot size is often the same size as Natick. Most of the lot is wooded in Weston. Whats the point? Why would i want to live in such low density? If i was rich enough to afford Weston i'd pick Newton which is even more dense than Natick.

Rural suburbs have fallen out of favor to urban suburbs which is why i think Weston is no longer #1 and people are picking Lexington, Wellesley, Belmont, Newton, even Needham over it now. Will this trend continue or reverse? Who knows. The location of Weston is good, as you have mentioned, so there will always be a strong floor there since location is ultimately everything. I think perhaps Weston used to hold a rural premium and that is now gone now. So a like property in Weston is now selling for less than Newton since Newton has a better location + amenities.

Some of it is also the fact that a disproportionate % of net new jobs added to the metro area were added in Boston/Cambridge which pulls in the demand radius. At present 495/128/boston distribution is skewed heavily toward boston to unusual levels relative to history. 10, 20, and 30 years ago the jobs were spread more evenly. At that time, Weston probably did have the location advantage over Newton.

If the 128 and 495 % reverted to historical averages that would benefit Weston greatly.

Last edited by panchilly; 07-08-2019 at 12:44 PM..

Old 07-08-2019, 07:04 PM
r_p

75 posts, read 44,192 times
Quote:
Your analysis is spot on. Although I disagree about the zoning being detrimental.

Quote:
Originally Posted by panchilly View Post
The lot sizes are larger in Weston/Dover but the landscaped lot size is often the same size as Natick. Most of the lot is wooded in Weston. Whats the point? Why would i want to live in such low density? If i was rich enough to afford Weston i'd pick Newton which is even more dense than Natick.
Space for your cars/bikes/boats/horses, sport-court(s)/pools, and to entertain. You should see the kind of parties some of the folks in these towns throw.

I actually was looking for a large 2-3 acre lot so that my kids can ride dirt-bikes but there was nothing affordable .

Old 07-11-2019, 09:08 AM

636 posts, read 268,863 times
Back to the OP... what a weird comparison as others have said. If someone is interested in Burlington, they would look at surrounding towns like Reading, Lynnfield, Bedford. What's so great about Natick? It's out of the way. You either have to pay a toll on the pike or hit every stop light on route 9 to get there. Route 9 is one of the worst places to drive in the state, if you miss your turn you have to drive like 3 miles roundtrip to circle back. The mall is a PITA to get to, you have to go on Speen St then loop around 5 stoplights before you can turn into the full parking lot. No one shops at the overpriced Collection.

When I lived in the city, my friends and I would go to Burlington all the time cause it was so close. The mall, restaurants and shops are easy to get to and a pleasant experience. No one ever wanted to go all the way to Natick.

Old 07-11-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix5k View Post
Back to the OP... what a weird comparison as others have said. If someone is interested in Burlington, they would look at surrounding towns like Reading, Lynnfield, Bedford. What's so great about Natick? It's out of the way. You either have to pay a toll on the pike or hit every stop light on route 9 to get there. Route 9 is one of the worst places to drive in the state, if you miss your turn you have to drive like 3 miles roundtrip to circle back. The mall is a PITA to get to, you have to go on Speen St then loop around 5 stoplights before you can turn into the full parking lot. No one shops at the overpriced Collection.

When I lived in the city, my friends and I would go to Burlington all the time cause it was so close. The mall, restaurants and shops are easy to get to and a pleasant experience. No one ever wanted to go all the way to Natick.
You don't always have to take route 9 all the way. Do you use google maps at all?

Natick is valuable because it offers job access to large fraction of the job centers. This shouldn't be surprising to you since it shares a very similar location to nearby towns like Weston, Wayland, Wellesley, and Dover which clearly are valuable due to their location.

Old 07-11-2019, 12:41 PM

Hey Matrix5k,

Offer up some job locations and lets run google maps to see how the commute compares against Burlington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts