Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 04:37 PM

2,710 posts, read 1,680,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by panchilly View Post
Hey Matrix5k,

Offer up some job locations and lets run google maps to see how the commute compares against Burlington.
Well I work at Oracle and my wife at Lahey so we don't have any reason to go to Natick. Is there even a hospital in Natick?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2019, 06:17 PM

622 posts, read 557,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix5k View Post
Well I work at Oracle and my wife at Lahey so we don't have any reason to go to Natick. Is there even a hospital in Natick?
yes there is, metrowest medical center. Newton Wellesley hospital is also 13 minutes away from my house without traffic.

Old 07-11-2019, 06:36 PM

14,198 posts, read 14,559,798 times
As a former Ma-holer, I always considered those towns inside Rte 128 (I95) to be attached to Boston. Those towns outside that area like Chelmsford, to be attached to the nearest city like Lowell, etc. Those towns outside I495 to be attached to Worcester, or NH, or RI. I cannot for the life of me consider Natick attached to anything except maybe Framingham.

I realize since my time there, places like Natick, Stow, etc. are now considered suburbs of Boston. The times they do change.

Old 07-11-2019, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
As a former Ma-holer, I always considered those towns inside Rte 128 (I95) to be attached to Boston. Those towns outside that area like Chelmsford, to be attached to the nearest city like Lowell, etc. Those towns outside I495 to be attached to Worcester, or NH, or RI. I cannot for the life of me consider Natick attached to anything except maybe Framingham.

I realize since my time there, places like Natick, Stow, etc. are now considered suburbs of Boston. The times they do change.
What about Weston and Wellesley?

Old 07-11-2019, 07:47 PM

9,784 posts, read 7,046,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix5k View Post
Quote:
yes there is, metrowest medical center. Newton Wellesley hospital is also 13 minutes away from my house without traffic.
Given the choice, I'd choose Lahey over Leonard Morse/MWMC. Lahey was just awarded level 1 trauma certification.

As for Newton Wellesley being 13 minutes away without traffic - that's great for the middle of the night. That being said, I take my parents from Waltham to NWH and MGH West rather than bringing them back to Burlington.

Old 07-11-2019, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Given the choice, I'd choose Lahey over Leonard Morse/MWMC. Lahey was just awarded level 1 trauma certification.

As for Newton Wellesley being 13 minutes away without traffic - that's great for the middle of the night. That being said, I take my parents from Waltham to NWH and MGH West rather than bringing them back to Burlington.

Its 22min in rush hour. 15-18 mid day.

How often do you really need to go to the hospital?

Newton Wellesley is so close it pretty much feels like it is right next door. No need to be closer. why would you need it any closer?

Last edited by panchilly; 07-11-2019 at 08:13 PM..

Old 07-12-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:
What about Weston and Wellesley?
My experience says they qualify as traditional Boston suburbs. I do accept that towns like Natick, Stow, etc. are now considered suburbs of Boston.

I lived in downtown Chicago then moved to a suburb that was 44 miles from downtown Chicago but it had frequent train service, one hour to 1.3 hours trip depending on the number of stops. With reliable/frequent train service a "suburb" could be 75 miles out. Reliable/frequent train service is one thing eastern MA lacks.

Last edited by johngolf; 07-12-2019 at 11:09 AM..

Old 07-12-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
My experience says they qualify as traditional Boston suburbs. I do accept that towns like Natick, Stow, etc. are now considered suburbs of Boston.

I lived in downtown Chicago then moved to a suburb that was 44 miles from downtown Chicago but it had frequent train service, one hour to 1.3 hours trip depending on the number of stops. With reliable/frequent train service a "suburb" could be 75 miles out. Reliable/frequent train service is one thing eastern MA lacks.
Yes but Weston, Wellesley, and Needham are outside of 128 so you said only towns inside of 128 are associated with Boston? What about the tiny sliver of Auburndale that is west of 128, is that not a suburb of Boston?

And why compare Natick to stow? What about comparing it to Concord for example? Concord is about the same distance to Boston as Natick is (actually Natick is a little closer) Was Concord a suburb of Boston back in the day?

Old 07-12-2019, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Yes but Weston, Wellesley, and Needham are outside of 128 so you said only towns inside of 128 are associated with Boston? What about the tiny sliver of Auburndale that is west of 128, is that not a suburb of Boston?

And why compare Natick to stow? What about comparing it to Concord for example? Concord is about the same distance to Boston as Natick is (actually Natick is a little closer) Was Concord a suburb of Boston back in the day?
Not to split geographic hairs exactly on Rte 128 but most of Needham is outside Rte 128 and it is considered a Boston Suburb and there is a snippet of Weston inside Rte 128.

My reference Natick to Stow was only saying that the suburbs get further and further out. There are people on here talking about commuting to Boston/Cambridge from Hopkinton, Shrewsbury, etc.

I once lived in Andover and commuted to Providence. Thankfully I was in outside sales and I did not have to do it 5 days a week so that does not count.

Speaking of Weston. Weston can get tricky. Some parts of it are close to the Rte 128/Weston/Mass Pike exit. Other parts are closer to the Trapelo Rd exit on Rte 128. I was born and raised in Waltham. I had family in Weston and we West End Waltham boys always chased the girls from Weston. I knew Weston quite well and it was considered wealthy back then.

For reference I was born and raised in Waltham but lived in DC, NYC, LA, SF, Ohio, Chicago, then back to MA. I left Andover MA in 2001 for SC. I (along with a few others) owned property (two, two family houses) in Waltham up until 2006. The present prices in Waltham choke me. I should have held on longer....LOL

I once asked why I see no love for Wayland? Many of the wealthy people that worked in Waltham, lived in Weston and Wayland.

Old 07-12-2019, 02:26 PM

162 posts, read 100,666 times
Concord never was a suburb of Boston. I grew up in the west suburbs 60 to 70 years ago. We were keenly aware of Paul Revere's Ride down Massachusetts Avenue from Concord to Lexington, Arlington, to the Old North Church and that history connected us to our awareness of our location. Beyond that, we thought of the town we lived in relative to our ethnic group or religion. For example, Bedford and Burlington were side-by-side but Bedford was a blue collar wasp town, largely Republican and didn't have a Catholic Church. By the early 60s when Burlington was becoming suburbanized it already had one Catholic Church and then built the new St. Malachy's across from McCarthy's pig farm. So that's where the Irish and Italian Catholics moved to. When McCarthy's pig farm was forced out it was the seminal event marking Burlington's transition to a suburb of post World War Two white collar upwardly mobile residents and people like the Grahams were building stick built 3 bed/2 bath colonials for $18,900.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts