Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 08:57 PM

622 posts, read 559,133 times

Advertisements

Both of these were towns for the poor 40+ years ago. Now they are both bustling middle class suburbs undergoing rapid price appreciation. Both have strong tax bases consisting of both retail and corporate offices and offer low tax bills for residents as a result. Both have huge swathes of working class ranch homes that are being demolished and turned into vinyl clad starter mansions for the 10%er class. Both offer solid schools and a good location for commuting. Both are adjacent to 1%er fully bulldozed towns (Lexington and Wellesley) where the starter mansion costs 1.8M (but they have Hardie instead of Vinyl)

Even though i live in Natick i'm impressed by Burlington the more learn about it. If i were to buy again i might even buy in Burlington over Natick. It's very close...

Which would you prefer? Burlington or Natick?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2019, 10:42 PM

2,710 posts, read 1,691,532 times
I like Burlington cause of the kid friendly neighborhoods, great recreation department, proximity to Boston, Chik-a-filet, and grocery stores. Wegmans, Market Basket, HMart, and Trader Joe's are all close to each other. I like that the residential area is segregated from the businesses. If you go to Boston from Natick, you have to pay a toll for the pike or hit every stop light on route 9. I'm not a fan of route 9. The Natick Mall is nice but it's a pain to get in and out. I do love the sushi buffet at Minado.

Old 06-05-2019, 06:56 AM

23,187 posts, read 18,331,058 times
One would think that from reading this forum; that outside of Boston there is nothing to the state beyond Burlington, Billerica, Natick and Acton. Set your visions a little higher folks. Just sayin!

Old 06-05-2019, 07:12 AM

1,360 posts, read 866,841 times
"Towns for the poor."

Unbelievable.

Old 06-05-2019, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemka View Post
"Towns for the poor."

Unbelievable.
Only on City-Data...

Old 06-05-2019, 09:35 AM

5,001 posts, read 3,860,759 times
Panchilly, you are at it again.

I think Natick is more desirable. I do like, however, like Burlington's location more.

Old 06-05-2019, 10:52 AM

550 posts, read 675,113 times
When I think of Billerica or Natick the word poor does not come to mind now or even in the past.

Old 06-08-2019, 10:44 AM

26,645 posts, read 28,492,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemka View Post
"Towns for the poor."

Unbelievable.
I can remember when Natick was blue collar working class but it was not "for the poor. Places like Lawrence are for the poor.

People who want to live close in to Boston have to make the sacrifice of living crammed in. I was in Burlington ONCE and never went back. Much too crowded and it seemed like one big mall. Yesterday I was in Natick and again, it's crowded, especially in the downtown area, but their neighborhoods are still nice, often with big yards. They have that park (I think it has its own lake and I think you can rent a boat or go swimming.)

Unfortunately the unassuming ranch houses are being ripped out and being replaced by McMansions that cost a small fortune. They have rte 9 which is not pleasant for driving. There is always rte 128 matter where you go--and you know what that's like.

I'd take Natick though, if I had to. There is still some open space, like the park. If you can find one of the older ranches and just make a small addition, you can have a normal house with a nice big yard. You've practically on the Mass Pike. There are other towns though and I'm from WMass, so I don't know, but Wayland and Sherborn seem nice. Natick is okay for now but it won't be long before it's composed of tacky McMansions and competitive "keep up with the Joneses" type people. You're ruining your towns.

Old 06-08-2019, 11:37 AM

14,205 posts, read 14,594,543 times
Why no Framingham love? When I hear Natick, the next town that pops into my mind is Framingham.

Old 06-08-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Why no Framingham love? When I hear Natick, the next town that pops into my mind is Framingham.
Have you ever been to Framingham?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts